Video Files on Forum ×

DSP Rotary Effect

Paul, 

I have a Leslie 145 and the upper horn, (Which is what most people hear when they think of a Leslie speaker) accelerates instantly and slows almost the same.   The lower speaker which has a wooden drum that rotates underneath a down firing woofer does take time to accelerate and slow down since it has a lot of rotating mass.  This effect of the lower horn is much more subtle in listening.   

Depending on what you will be playing will depend on what setting you want to set your acceleration, braking and rotational speed settings.    Music such as blues, jazz and solo work, the sound of the Leslie is more dramatic.  In fact, in a small room and at slow speed, the Leslie almost gives off a surround sound which the Casio cannot duplicate.  In rock music, the instant on and off is suitable.  But again, the speed is what you like the sound to be or if you are trying to duplicate a particular song or artist, set the speeds to what the song or artist plays. 

I use 3 different drawbar organ set ups.   One has no additional gain and produces a very clean organ.  The other two have more gain in each setup.   Key click and vintage sound are appropriate settings.  

Josh

CTK900

WK7500

Hammond A143

Leslie 145

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious as to what speed settings on the Casio Rotary DSP rotation speed matched an actual  Leslie speaker.     Leslie stock settings are for the slow speed horns turn at 40 RPM and at high speed 320 RPM.   So I pulled off the back covers and checked my Leslie.   Sure enough the RPM's were stock settings.  I never realized after owning the Leslie for 20+ years, the upper horn and the lower horn rotate in different directions.   Curious if a VENT and others simulate the 2 different rotational directions?

So where do you set the Casio WK7500 (and probably on  other Casio's) rotary speeds to duplicate the Leslie.   A SLow speed setting  (37) matches up nicely with the aprox 40 RPM's the actual horn speed of the Leslie.   Low notes on the Casio seem to rotate in the opposite direction from high notes as what actually happens in the Leslie.   A Casio  Fast Speed setting of (115) gives the 300+ RPM of the actual Leslie but the sound results for most upper notes played sounds like you are in front of a window fan!    A setting of (97) gives a more natural Leslie sound. 

CTK900

WK7500

Hammond A143

Leslie 145

• Like 3