Anyone using the Casio Px-5s on rechargeable batteries?

lesleo

Hi, I would like to here from anyone using the Casio Px-5s on rechargeable batteries of any kind NiMH, alkaline or whatever. I really am looking to keep my battery costs down as I am a street performer. A man in a shop showed it can work with rechargeables, just want to confirm whether anyone is regularly using it for gigs etc with rechargeables?  The alternative is a Kross, but you know what happened on the kross...joke.

Thanks in advance

Leon Lester

I know you have been told this many, many times but I need to repeat it again for anyone who stumbles on this thread who doesn't know better:

Using ANY TYPE of rechargeable batteries will void your warranty and could damage your PX-5S.

I suggest using  a portable power supply like this:
http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/power-packs/powerpack-300.aspx  You will get many more hours of power, it will power both your amp and keyboard and will not void your warranty. 

• Like 1

Using ANY TYPE of rechargeable batteries will void your warranty and could damage your PX-5S.

" I suggest using  a portable power supply like this: http://www.duracellp...erpack-300.aspx  

You will get many more hours of power, it will power both your amp and keyboard and will not void your warranty. "

But that's also a rechargeable battery....only a bigger one....?

" I suggest using  a portable power supply like this: http://www.duracellp...erpack-300.aspx  

You will get many more hours of power, it will power both your amp and keyboard and will not void your warranty. "

But that's also a rechargeable battery....only a bigger one....?

:)  Ah yes. I should clarify.. Putting rechargables IN your PX-5S is a no-no. The Duracell pack allows you to run the PX-5S on AC power.which provides a consistent voltage. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also want a portable DP for busking (in addition to my saxophones).

What advantage does the PX5S offer by having a much lauded battery ability, then, if rechargeable ones aren't Kosher?

Regular batteries cost an arm and a leg, especially Duracell, etc.

On Amazon, they are a dollar a battery.  That's 8 bucks for 4 hours, or $2 per hour.

Oh... Chinese knock-offs  are 35 bucks for a hundred.  OK, maybe $1.50 per hour or whatever...

Rechargeable batteries (which I already own) are much more cost effective.

My current street amp is a PA with its own built in battery that costs nothing to recharge except whatever my electric bill goes up by.

A heavy Duracell car charger is out of the question and defeats the low weight of the PX5S.

Some buskers use small RV batteries, etc. with inverters.  This is still too heavy when traveling on NYC subways, etc., as I plan to do.

"Company line" aside regarding warranty, etc., what's the problem with rechargeable batteries?  Otherwise would seem to indict the entire product (said batteries).  They can't possibly muck up every product they run, can they?  What's so different about a DP?  Poor performance?  How could they hurt the unit?

Thanks....

Frankly, I don't know if anyone knows. I wonder if it's like the "dry clean only" tag on some clothes - it's easier for the manufacturer to say that than to test what will or won't mess the product up. Testing costs time and money.

OTOH, last time I checked, rechargeable AA batteries don't run at 1.5 volts. Look closely and they say 1.2 volts. It's possible that is the issue. They may output differently enough than regular batteries that they won't work properly in the PX-5S and possibly even strain the circuitry to the point of damaging it.

In the end, what you do is up to you. But don't come running to us or Casio if you use rechargeable batteries and your PX-5S starts making screaming noises. :)

• Like 1

^^^This.  Plus....

8  AA 1.5v batteries = 12 volts

8  AA 1.2v batteries = 9.6 volts

The PX-5s power supply is 12 volts.  The numbers look concerning to me.  

A more dangerous issue is possible cause of fire from the batteries themselves.  If you are willing to test rechargeable batteries, be sure to buy high quality brands designed for high drain devices.  You will want to minimize battery overheating where they can possibly explode inside your battery compartment.  

• Like 1

Info on the subject of 1.2 vs 1.5 volts, from fleaBay:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Why-are-Rechargeable-Batteries-only-1-2V-/10000000019071245/g.html

Al Kaline was a great baseball player for the Tigers, but alkaline batteries only put out 1.5 volts at the beginning of their life and quickly drop to below 1.2 volts.

Rechargeable ones are steady at 1.25 and then fry out.

So, if 1.5 is needed (which it might be), then it will only be for a very short time.

Is that where the 4 hours comes in?

If so, at a buck a battery, it costs $2 per hour to run the PX5S - not good for busking!  If I'm out for 5 hours, that's ten bucks.

Is anybody actually using rechargeable batteries in their PX5S's?

Just found these.  Expensive, but 1.5 volts:

http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-li-battery-LEDflashlight-4SlotsUSB-SmartCharger/dp/B00SXV9Z4U/?tag=metaefficient-20

I've also got an email into RavPower about using their PB RP-14 charger (a cell phone charger on acid...).  It outputs 12 volts D.C. and can power laptops.  If it can do THAT, it should power the PX5S.  It weighs 1.3 pounds.

Here are photos supplied to me by RavPower for their RP PB14:

They note that I'd need two units to power both the PX5S and an amplifier.

I'm trying to find an inverter for the amp.  It has to use a "barrel" connection, like the kind used on laptops.

Does anybody know if any of those sizes will fit for PX5S's wall wart input?

Does anybody see any reason that this won't work for the PX5S?  And any idea how long it will charge it for?  It's 23,000 mAh.

Thanks...

PS -click on the thumbnails to make them full screen size.

Shall do.

FWIW, I auditioned the Mackie SRM 150 PA today....

Not really enough presence for piano - too small.

Back to the drawing board on the amp.  I DID also audition the JBL EON portable PA, and it is fantastic!  And 25 pounds..... (no batteries.  It draws 45 watts.  How much does the PX5S draw?

• 3 years later...
On 4/20/2015 at 3:18 PM, Scott Hamlin said:

^^^ That is a good find ^^^   It says it puts out 85 watts -- should be powerful enough. If you get it let us know how it does and how long it powers the PX-5S! (Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZ)

Thanks for your info, Scott. Would you say that any power pack that plugs into a Privia's AC jack should be fine -- e.g. the Ravpower?

https://www.ravpower.com/c/power-bank.html 

This brand gets great Amazon reviews....... Also, there's no provision for flashlight-type batteries  on my PX-310, correct?  

• 3 weeks later...

It is first time i hear about that risk of using rechargeable batteries...i m using them always more than a year without any problem. In the beginning it was GP recyko + Pro 2000mAh, and now it is  DURACELL Duralock 2500mAh and they are amazing...4hours running. For practise i use also little usb speakers plugged in keyboard usb. If i need stronger sound i ve got LANEY 4x4 aku speakers two pieces, one can reach about 70 people, and working hours on li-ion batteries.

Not official, no guarantee nor warranty: 

If I were to take a PX-5S out busking, I would directly connect a 12 volt lead/acid battery (rechargeable, sealed) to the right sized power plug, with the correct polarity.  Typical AA alkalines seem to put out around 2.3 amp-hours (a measure of total useful electricity).  In series, their voltage adds up (1.5-1.6 * 8 = 12 - 12.8 volts) but the current (amps) stays as is, so 8 AA's are getting you around 2.3 Amp-hours at 12 volts.  Playing time is listed as about 3 hours, so you can get a little over 1 hour of playing time from 1 amp-hour of current.  So, a 9 amp-hour wet cell, about $30 and about 5 pounds (or 2.5 kg), should get you around 10 hours' continuous playing.

Although I have done similar tricks (I used to do telemetry for a living with lots of 12 VDC equipment), I CAN NOT PROMISE  efficacy nor safety of this approach, and will not be held responsible for any reader's misfortune if it fails.  Darn -- now I know how software vendors feel.

The investment would be $30 US for each 9 Ah battery, plus whatever you would pay for a trickle charger.

Maybe this will work. Least expensive i could find that has switcheable 9V-12V, plus 5V usb ports for power or charging. one of the few at this price that has a full set of barrel adapters for a variety of equipment. I'm using it with a Yamaha QY-100 and several digital recorders and it works fine. I don't think it can switch polarity-for stuff that needs tip negative. Looks like a bunch of lithium-ion batteries inside (18650 my guess) but must have some voltage regulation since the pack must be balanced. Very compact.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XTPower-MP-10000-External-Battery-Pack-with-10000mAh-using-dual-USB-5V-and-DC-9V/202259587456?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just checked over the eBay listings-don't get a used (pre-owned) one. I did and it was defective. Make sure you get a new one.

Most of my rechargeables that run 1.2V don't last very long in my music stuff since the lower voltage-lower amp-hours get used up pretty quickly but I haven't tried on a PX5s. Most internal power supplies have at least a few caps and voltage regulators to keep the voltage as consistent as possible given a bit too much or not enough voltage. If the demand from the PX5s is too great for the batteries, they'll just drain out quicker, or if the battery has any defects-could overheat and maybe burst its caps and leak.

I also use the newest NIZN rechargeables-might be worth a look. Need their own dedicated charger-different voltage curve than NIMH or NI-CAD but put out 1.6V per battery and give a little edge to high-drain electronics. Only problem-at least the ones I got last year-some have pooched themselves, so watch where you get them from, i guess quality control wasn't too good initially. and are a tiny bit bigger-a little tight in battery compartments that might not have enough room. I had to slightly modify my Yamaha BT-7 pack for wind controllers to fit the NIZNs since it takes 6, and has a very tight battery compartment. I haven't clocked how long they last compared to Al Kaline and Billy Martin batteries but at least as good as  NIMHs and NI-CADS, at least my ballpark estimate (sorry, can't help myself).

Just an update about NIZNs after doing a quick review-still iffy-I use the older ones like these...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-AA-1-6V-2500mAh-Ni-Zn-NiZn-Rechargeable-Batteries/392123837404?hash=item5b4c66ebdc:g:kbEAAOSwr~lYsGju:rk:7:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

which haven't been too reliable.

Now there are these.....

https://www.amazon.com/NiZn-2500mWh-Rechargeable-Battery-Camera/dp/B00W1DASO2

which seem to get pretty good reviews but i haven't tried this brand yet. And are still pretty pricey. Powerpack is probably a better investment for busking. fFts in my pocket-but with lithium-ion, i wouldn't do that!