Weight Loss in Privia PX-xxx....

..Have the Privia dp's been put on a diet?

My Privia Px-800 weighs in at 41.0 kg and the new px-860 weighs in at 35.5 kg, plus it shrunk in width to 53.8" from 56 9/16". 

Why?  Is the weight loss do to the fact that the speakers are now located under the keyboard housing instead of being in a seperate box that also

acted as part of the support structure in the px-800?  Why the loss of 3"? Thinner wood for the side supports?

What is the difference between  "variable piano lid" and "lid simulation"?  Reading the description on Casio's web site leaves the impression that

the only Real difference is;  with "variable piano lid" the lid of the dp is raised while with the other the lid remains closed, and you can achieve

the same effects. Correct?

Also, why just 18 (partly new) -casio's words, not mine- tones?  My px-800 has 162 (with layer & split), not all needed, but nice to have.

Is the tri-senor action the same as one would find in a Kawai or Yamaha dp?

Finally, the pedals, Casio lists the pedals as "classic pedal unit SIMILAR (caps. mine) to most upright or grand pianos".   What is meant by "similar"?

Does this mean the spacing between each peadal has increased, less crowded?   I and others who have played my px-800 find the pedals much too

close together and too low to the floor.

Since it impossible to find a Casio dealer in the Montreal area to test drive a px-860 or any px for that matter, which Yamaha or Kawai dp's come closest.

I need to try before I buy.

My info comes from:  Casio-music.com/euro/instruments/digital-pianos/privia/px-860/

The Casio PX-860 is a new model so I don't have any "hands-on" info on it yet. Hoping to try it out this Summer in Nashville. 

As far as trying one, have you tried Costco? I am seeing they have them in-stock there. 

I would also suggest reading the manual to get more details: 
http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/Web_PX860-ES-1A_EN.pdf

Now I will address what I can from your list:
- "Weight Loss" - not sure of where the loss is achieved, but every manufacturer of just about everything made strives to shave even a little weight off. It saves a ton of money at every stage of delivery.. from factory to the customer's door.

- The lid simulation with the lid closed will be heard on headphones or when recording. 

- The PX-860 succeeds the PX-850 which also has 18 tones which you can split layer (see manual for details)

- The tri-sensor action is designed by Casio and not shared by any other DP maker. The action is shared among the entire Privia X50 line: PX-150, 350, 850 and PX-5S. - so if you find one of those models the action will be identical on the PX-860.

- I can't speak to the pedals other than to  what I see in photos: They look different than the PX-800s - but as I don't know what your idea of too close is I can't say  if they are better or worse for you. 

- As for what Yamahas or Kawais come close - You can't really compare that way as it is all very subjective other than comparing those in the same price range - even then it may not be useful. I have seen people prefer the PX-5S over stage pianos costing two, even three times as much.  

So check out your local Costco - I will bet they have one on display for you to try. If not, keep calling around - a mini-roadtrip may be in order - but it will be worth to make sure you get what you want. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.   I have read the px-860 manual and it does not have the type of technical information I'm interested in and I have not been able to find that on the net, as well as, Casio corporate reps, at least in Canada, are not able/willing to help.

Re going to Costco, the 2 nearest ones do not have any on display to try. And with the price of gas at $1.20 plus, a road trip is out of the question. I know I'm being picky, but time is money, etc.

I did find a px-350 in a music shop and spent some time testing it. It was a very underwhelming experience.  Based on that  experience I would not consider buying a Casio, but as I already to have a Casio dp,  I am assuming the poor action, sound quality, and the heavy, loud thudding of the keys (power off testing included) must be an anomaly.(?)

How is Casio's tri-senor action difference from that of Yamaha?  From pictures shown on the Yamaha site, the location on the senors and how they respond appears

almost the same.  How long are the keys of the px-860 compared to a Yamaha or Kawai? Where does one go to dig for this type of information? Dealers are not always

helpful.

As to "weight loss", the reason I asked, is that a loss of something in any type of product usually indicates a reduction of quality which is then masked over by

a so-called "improvement". A possible example the "18 (partly new) tones" -Casio's wording-.  Exactly what is "partly new"?  What is new and what is old?  Can't

find what that is on any Casio site.

I really would like to purchase another Casio dp, but I find Casio is not a consumer friendly company. If I can't physically see, touch, try something I don't buy.  

The heck with the px350, where do you get your gas? I just paid 2.70 a gallon and that was the cheap stuff. Seriously though check my posts about the PX350 key mod I worked on. I believe you will be able to reach some of your own solid conclusions about the px350 in general if you do although it sounds like you already have.

@ Jokeyman 123,

OPPS, sorry;  I left out one rather important point re the gas price.  In Canada gas is sold by the Litre (as is milk, soft drinks, beer, etc.) not by the gallon.  So that should have read $1.20 per litre.

Gas prices in Quebec are among the highest in North America. That's why I whine at the idea of doing a road trip.