16 part multi timbral - saving settings

horse

Not sure if it possible to do what I want or not having looked at some related threads on here.

I've got my head around the system mixer and recording / playback of more than 4 parts via midi.

The settings assigned to system mixer parts 5-16 are not stored in stage settings from what I can see. Is there anyway to store these mixer settings eg assigned tones, levels, pan etc maybe via midi? Otherwise it seems like I could only work on 1 tune at once if I want to use more than 4 tones and to be able to recall the mixer settings.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hello,

There are a couple of ways to do this.  If you store a MIDI file on a thumb drive that has the parts and mixer settings as you want (doesn't need note information), you can plug that into the PX, load and play this file and the mixer will be set how you want.  On power off, the mixer always seems to reset to defaults so you'd have to do that each time.

Another way, would be to use 1 or 2 PX-5s songs.  A song is 8 tracks, so if you wanted to change channels 5-16 you'd need 2 songs.  You'd setup the song with each track assigned to the specific midi channel you want and any tones, panning, reverb, etc.  The song can be saved in memory.  So similarly to the midi file, if you bring up the song and play it (again you don't need note information, just the mixer settings), it will set the midi channels up how you set them up in the song.

I'm not sure of your goal so when you say you can only work on 1 tune at once, I don't really know what you mean.  If you are driving the PX-5s through an external source, you can of course change any and all of the tracks/midi channels and programs as you want through that source as long as you are sending the correct commands.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Thanks for the help. I'm learning to record midi parts in reaper, which I already use for audio recording. Are you saying that I should be able to get reaper to set the system mixer up as part of a reaper project? So I can maybe get reaper to send a command to the px which says 'set the tone for part 5 to piano1' or something like that?

The short answer is yes.  The key is likely in setting midi filters for either transferring or receiving.  For example, you might want to set a filter on reaper that doesn't receive program changes from the PX-5s or only receives information coming on channel 1.  You might setup another filter that transmits program changes FROM reaper to the PX-5s and sends data on all or whatever channel corresponds to a specific track.

If I understand you correctly, you'd be doing the majority of the controlling from Reaper.  Check out the user guide:

http://dl.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide476C.pdf

Reference sections 12, 5, and 10

Also there are several posts in this forum regarding using the Px-5s with a DAW.  One thing that people run into over and over again is that the PX-5s transmits on up to 4 channels simultaneously depending on the stage settings.  Often a DAW will read everything on one track and the notes may double or quadruple on that track.  From the Px side, you'll generally want to turn off 3 of the 4 zones if you are just recording midi info onto a single track.  At the stage setting level, you can also control which channels the Px-5s will transmit on for each zone.  This may be another way to control what goes into your DAW.

You may also want to turn the hi-res velocity off on the PX.  If the DAW isn't setup to receive hi-res velocity data, you may get weird results if this control is left on.   You can find this control in the Sys Settings menu. 

Thanks again for your help choppin. Thought I'd share what I've learnt in case anybody else is as clueless as me!

In reaper you can assign a midi control 'effect' to your midi track, and load a 'reabank' file into that which then enables you to select the px5s tone you want for that track. The reabank file is available here in the downloads section.

So I don't need to store the system mixer settings on the px5s itself as they can be called up from the reaper project.

Just a note, to switch an entire stage setting, you'll need to have reaper set Bank 0 to 112 and then the program change to 00-99 .  That will cause an entire stage setting to be selected on the PX instead of just individual tones.  By default, if you use an external source (like reaper) to select a tone, it will be bank 0 which is general Midi (GM).

Check out page E-42 and on in the reference section of the PX-5s guide.  That will tell you the bank and tone selections:

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_PX5S-E-2A.pdf