Video Files on Forum ×

in need of serious help CDP130

Hi all,

New to the forum.  I was directed here by Casio, because they don't have the answers I seek, so figure to send me here.  

I played a CDP130 in a music store, and thought I was playing a Yamaha.  The keyed, to me, was way better than the current PX offerings.  Does anyone disagree with me?  Or can tell me why they went with what seems to be an inferior action?  OR why the PXs action is better, and I am wrong.

Also, what is the best connectivity for the 130 audio and MIDI wise?  Will it work as a controller?

Thank you for whoever has these answers.

Regards,

Jake

Hi all,

New to the forum.  I was directed here by Casio, because they don't have the answers I seek, so figure to send me here.  

I played a CDP130 in a music store, and thought I was playing a Yamaha.  The keyed, to me, was way better than the current PX offerings.  Does anyone disagree with me?  Or can tell me why they went with what seems to be an inferior action?  OR why the PXs action is better, and I am wrong.

Also, what is the best connectivity for the 130 audio and MIDI wise?  Will it work as a controller?

Thank you for whoever has these answers.

Regards,

Jake

Hi Jake and welcome the Casio Forums. If you like the CDP action better, that's what you should go with. Everyone has different preferences. .nothing wrong with that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...just noticed your post jake. I just got hold of a CDP-100-pretty similar I think to the CPD-130 as far as keys. I also own and play the PX-350 regularly (you can see my maniacal posts about that one here!)

I have disassembled both-and added new bumper felts to both-since i found alot of squashed felt inside both and it was causing a pretty loud clunking-more so on the PX than the CDP surprisingly since my PX was supposedly new but i think it might have been a floor/store demo judging by the internal wear. I was very pleasantly surprised at the CDP action-both the PX and CDP are designed the same inside-same weights, same key lengths and geometry. The CDP seems slightly easier to play and i'm not sure why-there is more resistance/keyweight in the PX350. I didn't go crazy measuring stuff, but I think the keys on the PX are slightly heavier than the keys on the CDP-and the weights are graduated on the PX-the lower fulcrum arms inside have more weight than the middle and upper register-how Casio gets the "graduated" action on these and the CDP doesn't. The keys are also connected at their pivot points a little differently-key looks thicker there on the PX so that might have something to do with the feel-the balance may be heavier towards the back than the front accounting for more resistance. I like playing both, but if I had to play for a long time, I think the CDP would be less tiring to play. But  both are wonderful-most realistic digital piano samples I've heard. I can't hear much difference in either piano.

Hmmm...just noticed your post jake. I just got hold of a CDP-100-pretty similar I think to the CPD-130 as far as keys. I also own and play the PX-350 regularly (you can see my maniacal posts about that one here!)

I have disassembled both-and added new bumper felts to both-since i found alot of squashed felt inside both and it was causing a pretty loud clunking-more so on the PX than the CDP surprisingly since my PX was supposedly new but i think it might have been a floor/store demo judging by the internal wear. I was very pleasantly surprised at the CDP action-both the PX and CDP are designed the same inside-same weights, same key lengths and geometry. The CDP seems slightly easier to play and i'm not sure why-there is more resistance/keyweight in the PX350. I didn't go crazy measuring stuff, but I think the keys on the PX are slightly heavier than the keys on the CDP-and the weights are graduated on the PX-the lower fulcrum arms inside have more weight than the middle and upper register-how Casio gets the "graduated" action on these and the CDP doesn't. The keys are also connected at their pivot points a little differently-key looks thicker there on the PX so that might have something to do with the feel-the balance may be heavier towards the back than the front accounting for more resistance. I like playing both, but if I had to play for a long time, I think the CDP would be less tiring to play. But  both are wonderful-most realistic digital piano samples I've heard. I can't hear much difference in either piano.

Uhm just to be sure are you on about the newer CDP 130 because the latest version has the action of the Privia's, 

Also much newer keybed then the PX. Then again I'm not sure if its the newest CDP130 you're comparing?

Thank you for the replies.  Sorry for my absence.  Ok so I think I have been looking at the PX350 more, only because it has the tri-sensors, and it seems like it would be a better songwriting tool.  I am not playing classical piano on them, to be too too picky with the action.  I do prefer the heavier CDP, but i think I can get used to the PX.

As for the the CDP being similar or the same as the PX, I really don't see it.  Why would Casio change the key beds from the first CDP130, to the last version?  I would think that the CDP is a certain way for a reason, whether it be cost, or portability, not sure.  Also, the CDP series is only available in Costcos and Guitar Centers, not online, so that kinda leaves it out for me, as I need to spread the payments using one of those pay as you play deals.

I think the PX keyed will work.  I saw a gentlemen play classical on one and the response is exactly what I was looking for.  I really need it to be a killer MIDI controller for piano software synths, and the tri-sensors I think will deliver in the end.  Any thoughts on the PX as a controller?  Plus it has a pitch bend, which is nice.