Video Files on Forum ×

Is anyone actually running this board now?

Null

I only ask because it seems the users are left pretty much to fend for themselves on technical issues and spambots seem to have taken over.

Nobody has addressed the Upload Limit issue which I posted on weeks ago.

Nobody has revoked anon posting privileges yet, so the spammers are now posting a half dozen messages per day with no end in sight.

Mike Martin has spoken up like ONCE on a technical issue in the past 6 weeks.

Seriously folks. Are the lunatics running the asylum now or what?

I'm certainly not volunteering to become a moderator or anything, (I can't afford that much time), but it would be somewhat reassuring to know that our questions are not simply echoing off into empty space all the time.

So I put it out there. Is anyone actually running this board and reading the messages besides a handful of dedicated users or not?

Gary

• Like 1

Even though I'm new here I do have the impression that things have gone quiet on the XW front.

Looking at: http://xwsynth.wordpress.com/2012/11/ there was an update a couple of days ago about the 'Electronic Musician Editor Award' but before that it goes back to November and even then it was sparse.

Since it was released nearly a year ago I guess they are looking at the latest releases.

Oops, ^ That was me. I forgot to sign in.

It was a good test because it did have a capcha test I had to type in. (which alerted me to the fact I hadn't signed in)

This forum has never been very busy. 69 members in total and only 41 have any posts which seems a bit low. :(

I don't think anyone was ever really "running" the forums, so yeah, probably up to "us" to fend for ourselves, whatever that means (like there's anything we can do, unless someone gets set up as a moderator :)

I am one of the first people who signed up here and was very excited to get involved as a part of the "XW-P1 community", start making music, helping others etc. Unfortunately I have been swamped with work over the holidays and have not even had a chance to do anything musically... sad to have a new instrument and barely be able to touch it!!! Also have not had an optimal physical location to "set up" at (living in a small apartment).

I do check on these boards pretty often, probably daily or at least every other day, and yeah, seems like things have gotten pretty quiet.

Good news is, my work should be slowing down, and I am working on setting up a physical space for not only my XW-P1 but also enough space to integrate other instruments (microkorg, microsampler, monotrons, kaossilator... nothing special, but will be fun to mix it all up), and will be probably be doing everything I can to push the MIDI/sequencing capabilities to their limits as I hate using software. So, for what it's worth, there's at least "one person" out there who will be a bit more active on here pretty soon. :)

I check the board somewhat frequently..would be cool if there was an expert type who can help the convo's along. I have the G1... and info on that synth is light when compared to its sibling.

As far as I understand, the only difference with the G1 is the sampler (lack of drawbar & hex means you don't have to learn those ;)) so you just have to check the sampler part in the manual and the rest can be refrenced to the P1 usage.

EDIT: Actually there are more controls of the synth parameters so there are more differences than just the sampler.

Back to the manual I guess...

Also, to clarify. While I am an Admin - this is a USER forum designed for USERS to support USERS. Myself and others who represent CASIO are here as much as possible. Through the holiday months including January which is right before our largest trade show of the year is an extremely busy time for us.

As the community continues to grow, we'll have more people asking and answering questions and soon someone will be able to search here and find an answer to any question imaginable which I hope will work out well for everyone.

-PS I've already blocked anonymous posts so hopefully the SPAM will calm down. I'm looking for a way to increase attachment size.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Mike.

I think we all appreciate that you are very busy and its great that you can pop in from time to time.

Its easy to forget that Casio has many other products apart from the XW series that need attention.

The problem is that we USERS have no control in this forum so we rely on at least one admin.

Some more in depth videos would be highly appreciated when there is time.

Two things will draw owners to this forum - active discussion and content. This site needs to be where the authorities choose to hang out. By content I mean things like patches and innovative ideas. I'm glad to see that the number of people participating in threads is growing.

Mike, you can and will have a tremendous impact on growth of the forum. From your videos, participation in other forums, and expertise people know your name. They are going to come to you for advice, support, and content. I'm here because you posted about this forum and you're here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great video, Jared. After reading all the NAMM news, it seems like most of the world is developing for the iPad platform. I'm seriously considering whether it is time to chunk my Windows machine(s) in favor of the iPad. An iPad and the P1 covers an awful lot of ground, particularly if you add accessories like the new docks and the Scarlett interface that is coming out.

Must.... make.... decision....

Its not a very hard decision as its the ONLY option :angry:

The hard part is deciding if its worth forking out that much money for it... :wacko:

Absolutely. My reasons for hesitation is trying to determine whether the mobility and convenience are worth selling off my old gear and buying a new set of gadgets. In addition, I am concerned about whether the current Apple technology will change rapidly and leave all my "new" devices obsolete.

If it were ONE device, it'd be a no-brainer. Does it add enough to my rig to use it merely as a controller? Will my current interface work with an iPad? Nope, there is only an OSX driver for it. If I want to fully embrace the iPad platform, I'll need a new interface or one of the new docking pads. Etc, etc. At least with my newish Windows PC and my old gear I can go for several years with no major changes.

If you want and need something that's obsolescence proof then wait for NAMM 2023 and the holographic keyboards with the genetically engineered bio-musical nanobot pills :D :D :D

Or else just invest in a good, solid controller and a dedicated VST/DAW computer brick ;)

Gary

If you want and need something that's obsolescence proof then wait for NAMM 2023 and the holographic keyboards with the genetically engineered bio-musical nanobot pills :D :D :D

Or else just invest in a good, solid controller and a dedicated VST/DAW computer brick ;)

Gary

Thanks Mr. Gates! :lol:

Seriously, the iPad does about everything I need except that I play the occasional 3D video game. It's very tempting, but I have no history with Apple, thus the hesitation. I normally do a great deal of research on new purchases, but am not indecisive as I am with this one. I wish I could rent one for a week.

...or wait for the VR3000 D-B (Direct to Brain) interface. :blink:

Just remember you are spending $600 for 12 ounces of glass, plastic, copper and silicon ;)

...and if you drop it then it could be worth $0 :o

Yeah, that is a tough decision. I guess no friends have one you could try? What about a local music shop to see a demo?

It all comes down to how much benefit it will give you over your current setup. (I totally agree that it would be great to try first)

I don't know anyone who I'd feel comfortable asking for a loaner. I'm old, my friends aren't cool enough for iPads, and the vast majority aren't musicians. The only option locally might be Guitar Center. But it's not an all or nothing decision. I'd start out with the iPad and some apps and test everything myself.

My impression is that I'll never get the quality I'm used to with an iPad and accessories. My use would probably be limited to using it as a mobile computing device, as a MIDI controller, and for generating scratch tracks on the go.

I purchased a used IPAD V1 two years ago for $400.00. Just sold it last month for $225.00. One of the best $175.00 investments I've made. See Apple has resale value and you have to add that into your equation. I suggest finding a used IPAD 4 on the internet. So far my experience is they are very solid. So if you can get a 2-3 month month used IPAD 4 then you're all set.

I'm an internet junkie so to me it's a no brainer. Plus tons of synths out there that you can play.

Scal3r

@john

If you'd try iPad, or even an iPod touch and get Sunrizer, Animoog, you'd be surprised how much horsepower they can crank out.

I don't know anyone who I'd feel comfortable asking for a loaner. I'm old, my friends aren't cool enough for iPads, and the vast majority aren't musicians. The only option locally might be Guitar Center. But it's not an all or nothing decision. I'd start out with the iPad and some apps and test everything myself.

My impression is that I'll never get the quality I'm used to with an iPad and accessories. My use would probably be limited to using it as a mobile computing device, as a MIDI controller, and for generating scratch tracks on the go.