Video Files on Forum ×

PX 5s combined with Expander Yamaha motif rack

Hi to all!

I have a Previa PX 5s and I would like to use at the same time sounds coming form Previa and sound coming from an expander yamaha Motif rack es. I did it connecting the output MIDI port of Previa with the input MIDI port of the expander, and connecting the audio out of the expander with the input audio of Previa.

It works, but for some stage settings it does not!

In these cases, I notice that the midi signals arrive on the exp, but the exp sound is not reproduced in my headphoes. I assume that there should be, somewhere, a setting (stage setting) where the external sound (coming from PX5s line audio in) is activated/disactivated.

Could you help me?

Thanks in advance

Giovanni

Probably what you're running into is a case where the Privia is using a Hex layer or any layer really, where each voice is being sent on a different MIDI channel.

It depends on which channels are being received by the Motif Module.

What you'd have to do is configure the Motif to receive those channels.

Best possible setting in this case is to configure the Motif to receive on MIDI OMNI if it's available and then it will play all 16 channels regardless of where they're coming from.

Gary ;)

Hi Giovanni, 

Stage settings determine the setup for MIDI per zone.  Creating your own custom stage settings for controlling specific setups is the way to go. You will want to edit a stage setting, make your changes, exit out to the home screen, then write your new stage setting.

Each of the 4 zones can transmit to internal sounds, external USB midi or external 5 pin midi.  Any combination of these 3 can be configured for each zone.  Each zone can transmit on any midi channel you choose.  

(Press Edit>Stage setting>Zone Edit>Midi Edit...The settings for midi control are here...)

The audio/line inputs have a single volume control.  It can be done via a menu or assigned to a slider or knob.  

(Press the system setting button>Sound Generator>External Volume)

For assigning it to a knob/slider...

(Press Edit>Stage Setting>Common Edit>(choose slider or knob#)>Target Edit>(Choose External Volume)

Note: Use the Zone + - buttons to navigate between zones when making zone specific changes. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem. I bought an expander and connected it Midi Out and Line In, then I took a Stage Setting, put the volume of the original sound to 0 and also changed some other parameters of that setting.

Now I can play the expander sound, wonderful.

But I hear that sound in every other setting, too, for example I hear piano plus expander on 0-0, expander plus Rhodes on 0-1 and so on.

Now I am looking for a possibility to change that...but how?

Must have to do with MIDI but I don´t know what to do, sorry....

Thank you...

• 3 months later...

Hi,

How do I restrict the midi input on my PX5s? I need to have my PX respond only to Stage Setting Change (on midi ch 16) but not to note data as note information travelling down the same midi cable is destined for another module (on midi ch 10). I have tried moving the note data to a different midi channel, but whatever channel I change it to it always triggers notes on my PX. It almost seems like it's stuck in omni mode!

There must be a setting somewhere to either change the recieve status for a "part" or change the recieve channel to anything but 10.

John