New XW-P1

florent

Hi everybody,

I've just received my P1. I was first tempted by a CTK-7200 but after some readings on the internet, the P1 corresponded me more, I've been toying around with PureData a it seems that the P1 is the good hardware complement ;).

I'm not an experimented musician. I've played organ and piano as a teenager but left that for other occupations afterwards. I have some background in electronics and signal processing so it seemed logical to get a synth.

And by the way (since there are topics about that), I'm a Linux user ...

Regards,

--

Florent

• Like 1

Hello florent. Check out some of happyrat's posts (and mine) on Linux. He pointed me toward KXStudio (a Ubuntu distro strictly for music) and I dual-boot Windows and Linux on all my machines, specifically Puppy Slacko although that distro has limited musical apps, KXStudio is much more comprehensive.

And the P1-whew! This thing is scary-phrases. arpeggios, sequencer, hex layers, performances.  One can create entire arrangements or songs with just parts of what this can do. And this forum has a very detailed faq compiled by Happyrat and others here. Don't worry about the manual-if you need to know how to do just about anything with the XW-P1, it will be in the XW

faq postings.

Hi Florent!!!

Always good to see another Linux user.  KXstudio is definitely the way to go for Linux multimedia production.

As for the XW-P1?  Good choice.  Incredibly flexible little synth.  Sort of a Swiss army knife of keyboards.  It's not the only synth I use but I rely on it extensively in my creations.

Definitely take an hour or two and browse thru the FAQ Thread Links here in the XW section of the board.  It will answer questions you didn't know you had.

Also check out Mike Martin's tutorial videos on youtube, all linked in the FAQ.

One of the best features of this synth is how well supported and documented it is here on the forums.  It definitely makes up for the crappy manual which Casio phoned in when they released the synth. :D

Gary ;)

It's great to have such a warm welcome as a new member of the community.

In fact I already watched lots of casio videos and read the forum before buying my keyboard. I really have to say thank you both to casio and the members of this forum because it helped me a lot both in choosing a gear and to start with the P1.

As for linux tools, I'll watch KXStudio but I'll stick with my Debian. I've already made PD and the P1 communicating together, they seem to get along very well. I've gone through the midi implementation document, pretty much everything can be controlled through midi so I think I've not finished to play around on this ground ;)

And the P1 itself, well guys you're not liars, it is really a fun toy to play with.

KXstudio is in fact Debian based.  Actually Kubuntu Based specifically.  Things like JACK Audio Connection Kit and restricted multimedia extensions are built into the distro and self configured on installation.

It's the most Plug N Play Linux distro for music creation ever.

At the very least, try it on a 50 or 60 gig partition and dual boot it for a while.  It simply works and works well.  Latest version is 14.04 LTR.

Gary