Midi controller problems

Halion76

Hi folks, I have the PX5S and a MOX6 connected to my PC via a NI Komplete 6 audio interface (a great unit by the way).

I can control any VSTs from either the MOX6 or the PX5S.  So all good? .............not quite. 

For some strange reason the MOX6 controls the VSTs perfectly, with little asio usage.  When I try to play the same VST from the PX5S you can visibly see the asio usage increase with each note and it spikes uncontrollably.

As I said, the same VST with the exact same setup works perfectly via the MOX6.

Is there a particular stage setting that is more suitable for controlling VSTs?  Or does anyone have any idea how I can sort this issue?

Many thanks.

I don't know your setup and what is needed.  Is the PX-5s just a controller?  If so, go to system settings>midi>turn off usb and/or midi in enable. See what that does.  The data editor won't work with inputs disabled but this will kill any loops.  

Curious why you have both keyboards midi'ed together and connected to the PC separately.  

I don't know your setup and what is needed.  Is the PX-5s just a controller?  If so, go to system settings>midi>turn off usb and/or midi in enable. See what that does.  The data editor won't work with inputs disabled but this will kill any loops.  

Curious why you have both keyboards midi'ed together and connected to the PC separately.  

No Brad, I use the PX5S for it's own sounds and for controlling midi.

Basically, I want the PX5S to be able to control the MOX6 so that is why I have the 5 pin midi.

I want to be able to record audio from both.

I also want to use both as midi controllers, simply because for certain VSTs the synth action keys are more suitable than weighted keys - also the expression port on the MOX is another bonus.

It is all working OK - it's just the sound from the PX5S when used as a controller isn't "right" as well as the asio spikes.  I do think it's some sort of loop but it seems more prevalent in Kontakt strangely because I tried Halion 5 last night and it sounded OK.

Weird and hopefully I can get it resolved.  Kontakt sounds perfect with no asio spikes when using the MOX.

From Brad:

...surefire way is with a standard 5 pin cable. Only connect one.

stein67,

Go direct (5 pin) from Px to Kontakt.   Choose a Stage Setting with no phrases and no arpeggios.  Turn off the midi out on all 4 zones of the PX.  Play the keyboard.  Any sound or spikes?  Should be none.  Turn on 1 zone midi out.  Play the keyboard. etc.

Play the keyboard and depress a pedal or spin a dial or move a lever.  Spikes?  Process of elimination or addition should tell you whne and where the spikes are coming from.

When you say spikes, what are you monitoring?  Audio line ins from the PX or from the Kontakt - both? 

Hi Choppin, thanks for that mate.

I've actually worked out whats wrong.  When both the px5s and mox are set to act as controller I'm getting a "loop" type effect ONLY from the PX5S and the asio spikes in my Cubase meter.  However, when I quickly change the MIDI IN/OUT to "midi" on the MOX (basically rendering it back to audio output only and the PX5S controlling it) the PX5S works fine.  So I just need to do that quick change in the utility setting of the MOX dependent on which keyboard I want to use as a controller.

I'm going to fool around with another 5 pin midi cable shortly and see if that can override the above issue.  But even as it is, it's fine and not a major problem now I've sussed it out.

• Like 1

Just a quick follow up.  Connected the MOX via 5 pin midi to both my NI K6 and the PX5S.  Everything working like a dream now (NI K6 would randomly cut out and not be recognised when I first connected everything up this way, which was very strange.  But I powered down and switched the USB port on the back of my PC for the K6 and thankfully it is working fine - weird......but it works!!).

Thanks for the replies folks.  Much appreciated as always.

• Like 1