CTK - 2400 MIDI (FL STUDIO)

Hello, I have recently bought the CTK - 2400 model online and it just game and I noticed there isn't a MIDI in attached to the keyboard, only a Input in, I was trying to hook it up to the computer in order to use fl studio, How would I hook this up? what cords do I need to buy? let me know asap! thanks!

Alvein

Casio no longer includes the old 5-pin DIN (round) MIDI connectors on their CTK/WK model keyboards.  Look at the lower half of Page 3 of your manual for a diagram of the connectors on the back of your keyboard.  Look at Connector #31 (USB).  That is now your MIDI connector, commonly known as "USB-MIDI".  It is bi-directional, so it serves the purpose of both MIDI IN and OUT.  It uses what is commonly referred to as a "standard USB printer" cable that can be found at just about any retail outlet that sells computer equipment/supplies.  See Page 32 of your manual for instructions on connecting it to a USB port on your computer.  Casio keyboards are now what we call "Fully Class Compliant" (Windows) and "CORE MIDI Compliant" (Apple), meaning that they will automatically work with the standard USB-MIDI drivers that have been built into Windows since XP Service Pack 2 and the last several versions of MAC-OS and iOS (iPad/iPhone), so you will not need to install any special drivers.  Just connect the cable, power up the computer, then power up the keyboard, once the computer is fully up and running - truly "plug-n-play".  Then, in any of your software (FL Studio, etc) MIDI set up menus, you will be looking to select a MIDI device shown as "CASIO-USB-MIDI" or something similar to that.

The "Audio In" jack you refer to in your post is for connecting the audio outputs of a stereo unit or MP-3 player or CD player, etc for playback through your keyboard's sound system and speakers.  It has nothing to do with MIDI.  If you do connect something to the Audio In jack coming from a device's "Phones Out" jack, start with the connected device's volume at minimum and bring it up slowly, so as not to overdrive the keyboard's Audio In circuits and damage them.  The CTK-2400 allows you to record (sample) sounds, but it will not record or sample anything from the Audio In jack.  Audio recording (sampling) can only be done with the CTK-2400's own built-in microphone.  See Page 35 of the manual for use of the Audio In jack and Pages 11 through 16 for sampling.

Best of luck, and enjoy the new CTK-2400.  Also - welcome to the Casio Forums !

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi, I got my CTK-2400 a few days ago and have now downloaded a piano learning app "Piano Marvel" which should work via MIDI. I connected the piano via USB to my WIN10 laptop and the app recognizes the piano correctly but it does not seem to recognize any keys that I hit.

I tried also another app "Jalmus" and it also does not recognize any key strokes.

Can anybody please give me a hint what I should do?

Could this be a Win 10 problem?

Any settings in the piano?

Any other app to check the keys?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Edit:

Found the solution by myself. Looks like this keyboard does not work with Win10.

Indeed Win 10 is not mentioned among the compatible OS, the highest is Win 8.1

I had hoped that this wouls make it compatible with Win10, too, but no way. Casio does not even offer a newer driver in its downloads.

Connected it to a Win7 laptop and now it works.

Edited by Volker
found solution

Volker

The CTK-2400 is "Class Compliant", meaning that its USB-MIDI connection should work with the drivers that have been built-in to Windows, since XP-SP2 (including Win-10).  Win-10 is missing from the Minimum System Requirements in the CTK-2400's manual, because Win-10 was not on the market, or just coming on the market, when that manual was written.  NOW . . . That said . . . there seem to be certain combinations of Win-10, and the hardware that it is running on, that just do not get on well with USB-MIDI, as well as some of the more popular music production software programs.  This is particularly the case with newer hardware running USB-3.0 ports.  Some (many ? / most ? / all ?) USB-2.0/MIDI devices do not work well (or at all) when connected to a USB-3.0 computer port, even though USB-3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible.  The trick here is that, if your computer has a both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and a USB-MIDI device will not work on the 3.0 port(s), try switching it to one of the 2.0 ports.  On a desktop (or tower) PC (even just old USB 2.0) the USB ports on the front are normally "hub" connected to the system board, while those on the rear are directly connected to the system board.  Some USB-MIDI devices do not like "hubs", so try moving your keyboard connection from a front port to a rear port on those types of systems.  What works, and what does not, is a bit of a toss-up, so your Win-7 laptop workaround may have to be your solution, for the foreseeable future, at least.  I am still using an old Win-XP/SP-2 laptop to communicate with my old (non-Class Compliant) WK-3800, because that is the only system I still have that is slow enough to work reliably with it and not cause a lot of communications buffer overflow problems.

At any rate, if you would like to pursue your connection between the CTK-2400 and your Win-10 system, I would recommend downloading and installing a MIDI utility program called MIDI-OX, which is, supposedly, compatible with Win-10.  If MIDI-OX "sees" your key presses coming into your Win-10 system from the CTK-2400, then you know that your basic USB-MIDI connection is working.  That would put your problem with your apps set ups or an apps/Win-10 compatibility problem.

You can download MIDI-OX for free from:

http://www.midiox.com/

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

• 2 months later...