XW-P1 and Access Virus C

I just wanted to post my musings bewteen a true VA synth and the rompler-esque PCM sounds/configuration on the P1.

Recently I decided to upgrade my hardware synthesis. For too long I've relied on my Yamaha TG-500, Roland JD-990, microKorg XL and Akai S5000 for outboard sounds so I decided it was time to move further in the direction of the microKorg.

What I eventually chose were the Access Virus C desktop (TI2 is too expensive) AND the XW-P1 (got the limited edition Orange Chrome one too!)

My main criteria were cost, polyphony and multitimbrality and of course sound. If it couldn't play at least 32 voices and 16 parts, sound great and be cost effective then it was out.

Eventually I settled on these two synths.

Now, I read a LOT of posts and reviews regarding both pieces of equipment (amongst others) so I knew what I was getting into. As far as VA goes, its pretty hard to beat the Acces Virus range, but what surprised me was the flexibility of the P1 in emulating a lot of the sounds one might normally turn to the Virus for.

Granted the P1 is never going to emulate exactly what the VA in the Access does, but by jingo, in about 80% of cases (so far, its only been a couple of weeks) it comes pretty darn close in fact, with the Hexlayer/drawbar organ there are probably more things the P1 can do that the Virus can't!

The filter isn't too bad, the aprpegiator is awesome, equal to the virus in every way and the step sequencer is the cream on the top especially when coupled with the Virus (just WOW).

I feel confident that I've gotten the best of both worlds and am VERY happy with my P1 purchase. I also want to add that I have a Creamware B4000 clonewheel drawbar organ that I love and though the P1 doesn't do exactly what it can, for example it doesn't have a knob for click, crunch, drive or condition and isn't double register capable, but for bread and butter organ sounds its a doodle to use and sounds really good when sitting in the mix.

I know there is a lot of talk about synth snobs turning up their noses at the mere thought of using a *gasp* CASIO, but its their own loss and I'm proof there are plenty of people out there that will give the P1 (or G1) a go despite the negative press Casio tend to receive form the self ordained synth literati.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Program it. You can change almost every parameter live with the modwheel. And also with the Bend Down and Bend Up. 

Here is one of my tones: http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/877-funky-spiral/

And the things the mod and bend wheel modulate: http://postimg.org/image/yqt5fhy5b/

PS: I like to bend the sound up and simultaneously move the mod wheel up too. Then do the reverse.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be off topic, but, as an owner of a Casio WK-500 73 key keyboard, and a vintage Roland D-20,

as well as a Hammond Aurora Classic I rescued from the side of the road in a rainstorm, 

I was absolutely stoked when I saw the XW-P1 for the first time last week on youtube. 

I read as many reviews as I could get my hands on, special ordered one yesterday and picked it up today. 

just monkeying around with it for an hour tonight, I am still stoked.  I haven't been this excited about a keyboard in years!

:D

P.S.  I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, thanks in advance for your patience.

Welcome aboard the forum Adam and congratulations on finding out a closely guarded secret we've been guarding on this board for over 4 years. :D :D :D

Seriously though, the depth and quality of support for Casio boards you'll find around here surpass every other synth on the market.

Whether you are a deep menu diving sound programmer or just someone who enjoys loading up a sound and playing it this is the place to be!

Looking forward to your future input and if you have ANY questions about the XW, feel free to ask.

You may want to start off by wading thru the XW FAQ thread.  Lots of good stuff buried in there and it will allow your mind to be ever more blown :D

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4489-xw-series-faq/

Gary ;)