How to send all midi data?

Halion76

Hi,  I'm primarily using the PX5S as a controller keyboard for the Yamaha MOXF6 (just received it a few days ago....they make a lovely couple :D ).

If I transpose the MOXF (using the dedicated transpose buttons - hopefully Casio implement this in their next stage piano/keyboard) this data does not transmit to the PX5S.  I need to go in and alter that on the PX5S itself.

Anyone any idea on how to send the likes of the transpose data via midi?

I don't think you will find the answer you are looking for.  Transpose from the PX-5s is not bad at all..  Press system setting>enter....adjust.  

Aye, I know it's not too bad.....should have a dedicated button mind you.

But I thought there would have been a way to send the transpose info from the MOXF too.  Ah well.....

I don't believe the moxf6 changes the midi key references when you use the master transpose function.  For example if you transpose up a half step, key 63 will sound like key 64 on the moxf6, but when you play it, it doesn't transmit key 64 on midi, it still transmits key 63 (etc.) . I think you have to change the settings in voice and /or performance mode.

There isn't a "transpose" function in midi, rather the note key values that are sent determine the core pitch intended.  To send and receive an entire transpose command, as michaeln2 said, it would have to be system exclusive according to the machine.  The other way is to make sure the master device is sending the correct key values.

Pitch bend is a midi control code and that can be transmitted and recognized by most midi devices.

• Like 1

I decided to investigate a little further.  As I suspected, there doesn't seem to be a universal transpose function for midi.  However, there is a coarse and fine tune adjustment per channel.  So it's likely that changing the tuning per voice or per zone on the moxf6 would do the same on the px-5s.  The coarse tuning is per channel.  But, if you could find out if the key assignment actually changes when you use the master transpose, then that could solve all you problems and bring up new ones.  The problem with a key assignment change is that it would affect the ranges set on the Px.  For example, if you have a stage setting zone set to play a bass sound at key 60 and anything above would be a piano, if you send an altered key event that plays 61 when you intend to play 60, you wouldn't get a bass timbre, you'd get a piano.  

So back to course tune: it's not actually a sysex message but an RPN.  That basically means its not a reserved code for the PX but more general.  The format in hexadecimal is:

B<channel> 65 00

B<channel> 64 02 (LSB for Course tune)

B<channel> 06 40+-18 (data entry begin - the number of halfsteps +-24)

B<channel> 26 00 (always set this to zero)

B<channel> 65 7F (null)

B<channel> 64 7F (null) 

So if you wanted to pitch shift channel 4, 7 half steps down, you would transmit:

B3 65 00

B3 64 02

B3 06 39

B3 26 00

B3 65 7F

B3 64 7F

This is likely automatically transmitted if you change the pitch on a channel on the moxf6 and would affect the tuning on the px-5s without changing the key assignments.

This differs from using the transpose function on the PX-5s which actually changes which keys are transmitted.