CTK-7200 Trying to set my preferred default start up.

Newbie 3wks frustrated. Can someone please provide me with the step-by-step on how to get the following as my default startup.

upper - Drawbar 055 w/rotary+stadium1

split

lower - strings or organ w/vol lowered

When I try this I lose the rotary effect, and don't know how to save it if it worked.

Many thanks for your help, and consideration. Paul

Paul

To begin with, the manual (as usual) is a bit (?) confusing about Auto Resume and Power On Defaults.  Depending on how you read it, it can appear that you need to have Auto Resume turned ON in order to save Power On Defaults, but that is NOT CORRECT.  Auto Resume automatically saves the current state of the keyboard as you power it off as the next power on condition, and can change from one time to the next, depending upon what condition the keyboard was in when it was powered off.  For a static Power On Default, as you are trying to do, make sure that you have Auto Resume turned OFF.

Now, that said, I was concerned that you may have a problem with your keyboard, as I was able to save your setup as a Power On Default in both my CTK-7000 and WK-7500 with no problem, but with a little experimenting, I began experiencing the same problem.  If you are doing what I think you are doing, it is not so much a problem with saving Power On Defaults, but rather a problem with your choice of the Lower Voice.  DrawBar Organ Voice 055 turns on Fast Rotary when you select it.  You can verify this by noting that the Rotary Slow/Fast button blue light at the left end of the keyboard comes on when you select DrawBar Organ Voice 055.  Rotary is a DSP effect, as is Chorus.  You can only have one DSP effect active at a time.  If the chosen Lower Voice uses Chorus or any other DSP effect, this will override the Rotary effect for the Upper Voice.  String Voices 001, 002, and 003 as Lower Voices work fine with a Rotary effect in the Upper Voice, but String Voice 004 uses an effect setting of its own and knocks off the Rotary in the Upper Voice.  Here again, you can verify this by noting that the Rotary Fast blue light goes off when you select String Voice 004, but just going back to String Voice 003 does not restore the Rotary.  You have to momentarily drop the Split and allow the Upper Voice to turn Rotary back on.  Then you can turn Split back on.  When you go from String Voice 004 to 005, the Rotary blue light stays OFF.  If you turn Split off, the Rotary light comes on, but as soon as you turn Split back on, the Rotary light goes off, indicating that String Voice 005 also uses its own DSP or Chorus setting and is not compatible with Rotary in the Upper Voice.  When you go to String Voice 006, Rotary works fine, and so on.  I think you get the point.  The Piano Voices as Lower Voices work the same way.  Piano Voices 001 through 008 work fine as Lower Voices with Rotary in the Upper Voice, but Piano Voice 009 uses the Compressor DSP effect and overrides the Rotary in the Upper Voice.  Your Stadium1 Reverb in the Upper Voice is not a problem, as Reverb has its own effects processor and does not enter into the Chorus/DSP priorities.  As a quick check of my assumption, set up DrawBar Organ Voice 055 in the Upper just as you have posted, and select String Voice 001 as the Lower Voice and save that as a Power On Default.  Power the keyboard OFF/ON and see if your Default saved correctly.  If it did not, check your setup and save procedures step-by-step with the manual to ensure that you are not missing something.  If not, then you may need to do a Factory Reset, but you would certainly want to make sure you had any of your user data backed up to the SD Card or to your PC hard drive before doing so.

Good luck with this !

Ted, U DA Best! It worked the first time I followed your advice. The very thoughful way you presented the solution is very much appreciated. While I find the manual good in some areas, it can be very frustrating in others, and without your help in this forum, I just might have resigned myself to thinking it can't be done. Many thanks...