"Dead" Key on PX-5S

rotini

I recently moved to China from the US for a job assignment and took my Casio PX-5S (purchased less than a year ago). Unfortunately, something must have gotten damaged in transit as the middle "E" key does not sustain. It is still responsive to touch and velocity, but the note always ends instantaneously and does not sustain if I hold down the key. It will only sustain if used in conjunction with a sustain pedal.

I've filed a claim with the mover's insurance company who agreed to pay $500 for the repair, but I have no idea who could perform the repair in China or if it's something I can do myself. I'm handy with a soldering iron but I'm not sure if this is a dirty contact issue or something more serious. Anybody have any thoughts on repair and what might be involved? I'd rather do it myself since I'm in a foreign country and the warranty only allows service in the country where it was purchased.

I recently moved to China from the US for a job assignment and took my Casio PX-5S (purchased less than a year ago). Unfortunately, something must have gotten damaged in transit as the middle "E" key does not sustain. It is still responsive to touch and velocity, but the note always ends instantaneously and does not sustain if I hold down the key. It will only sustain if used in conjunction with a sustain pedal.

I've filed a claim with the mover's insurance company who agreed to pay $500 for the repair, but I have no idea who could perform the repair in China or if it's something I can do myself. I'm handy with a soldering iron but I'm not sure if this is a dirty contact issue or something more serious. Anybody have any thoughts on repair and what might be involved? I'd rather do it myself since I'm in a foreign country and the warranty only allows service in the country where it was purchased.

Hi and welcome to the Casio forums. If the can o air doesn't work you will want to have it repaired at authorized service center. Attempting to repair it yourself could make it worse and if you plan on returning to the states it will void the remainder of the 3 year warranty.  Even if it isn't covered by the warranty, you have $500 from the insurance to pay for it, right?

Ultimately it's up to you. but here is the contact information for Casio China if you decide to get it fixed properly. If your region isn't listed below, let me know where you are in China and I will find you the service center contact. 

1. Shanghai (in addition to all regions outside Shanghai Chongming Island and Changxing) 

Tel: 021-62679566 

2. Guangzhou (south from the South Island, north to Yellowstone, West Luo Chong Wai from east to Dongpu) 

Tel: 020-87304627

Customers over the region, if Casio digital piano (currently limited to PX100-500, CDP120-230 products) in need of repair, the following would be emailed to: option_ico_email.gif pickup.emi@casio.com.cn , or call the above contact call this the following. 

1. The customer name; 

2. the customer address; 

3. Customer contact telephone or cell phone number; 

4. Product model; 

5. Product serial number; 

6. Symptom; 

7. Shopping invoice date; 

8. purchase invoices and product photos. 

Casio confirm the above is correct, notify Yamato Logistics pick-mailed to Casio Technology Co., Ltd. Shanghai Branch Guangzhou / Guangzhou Branch centralized repair. 

Pick-up time and returned only Monday to Friday 9: 00-18: 00, night, Saturday and Sunday and statutory holidays arrangements. 

Specific home time by Yamato contact with customers, make sure the customer is determined to keep people at home after waiting time. 

Casio dedicated box packaging, receipt and return of the product (not including the zither).

Warranty products from postage and insurance paid by the Casio company. 

Non-warranty products from postage and insurance costs paid by the customer.

• Like 4

I would agree with Scott. Get Casio to do this. I've done quite a bit of keyboard repair, mods etc with many diffeent instruments. This type of probelm can be very difficult to fix, or very simple as Brad mentioned. I tiny hair or piece of dust under the rubber switches can do this-but you can do alot of damage if you start trying to mess with these rubber boots yourself. You can further contaminate these just by handling and trying to access the internal contacts and foul up other keys in the process. take it from me and experience-let a tech in a "clean room" deal with this.

And Scott-it is heartening to see such good tech support from Casio (and from you with the info). Mike Martin has been terrific for me here in the US.

• Like 1