Casio PX-5S vs Fender Rhodes

Null

Thanks for the cool link Gary! The similarity for low to moderately loud playing is uncanny, though the PX-5S (at least the particular program used) doesn't quite match the loud bark of the Rhodes at 0:34, 1:26 and 2:43. My Stage 73 is in storage while I work overseas, but I look forward to comparing it with my PX-5S someday.

I think you can use stage setting 0,1 .  Use slider 1 to up the distortion a bit, and a touch of reverb with slider 6, and try an Acombo or Mstack amp simulation with slider 2.  Add the slightest hint of tremelo with the mod wheel (so it's there but almost isn't).

• Like 1

Fender Rhodes has as it is a warmer sound, I am amazed that the PX5S almost match it near original

the only thing missing is that bottom buzztwang you hear all in all a good match.

Probably a user stage if I had to ques its one from community created files Mau Van maybe.  

Seems like any of the <bank>-1 stage settings (air piano of some sort) are the Rhodes or elec. pianos.  0-1 has the most flexibility out of the box IMO because you can contour the sound with the amp settings, distortion, and EQ.  Slider 3, helps give the mid and lower range that bit of "bark" Redwave mentions.  After playing with this stage setting a bit, I'm more partial to amp sim JCombo, .  Mess with the EQ to taste.  I put the Low and Low mid around -02 and the upper mid to +02 and high at about +06.  Though the low mid gives a good range of tonal change.  Distortion at about ten and low gain/distortion at about 99.

There's a bit of room to play with the sound on 0-1. 

We have a ton of additional sounds available on this forum.  Many are very different from the factory presets.  If it's not already made, it can very likely be done.  The PX-5s is very tweakable.  

Here is a downloadable EP with added bark.  I don't see a demo... so we'll get one made soon.  

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/581-distdynoep-jk/

Here is a demo of another popular downloadable stage setting.

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/px-5s-herbierhodes

• Like 1

Like Brad said!  Lots of tweakable and buildable options - and a lot of downloads.  The creator of he video, muzykujkropkacom, states that it's a factory preset - which could mean anything.  A stage setting?  A Stage setting and a tone using the instrument selection buttons?  A stage setting that they changed the eq on?  I took "factory preset" to mean an out of the box Stage Setting.  For example stage setting 7-1 has a key-off effect and also more of the bell like tones on the mid to high register keys.  This is different than Stage setting 0-1 - which has just a little mellower sound and a touch of grunge on it.  My suspicion is the poster used 0-1 - but I could be completely wrong.

The video shows a comparison of whatever sound the poster used on the casio with whatever settings and a rhodes - both plugged into some amp.  They sound similar in a lot of ways, and there are some differences.  In short, in my opinion, it's a pretty good demo.  Just keep in mind that there is a lot of room to alter the sound on the PX.  And again, there are lots of downloads for the PX-5s where some really good programmers may have already created the ideal sound one is looking for.

• Like 1

Cool.  Of course, no local stores stock the PX5S, so all I have to go on is this Forum and the available demos. 

I was strongly considering the Yamaha CP4 as my gigging slab.  I think it has excellent Rhodes and, of course, Yamaha got Chick's Rhodes for their Motif line (I don't know if that is represented anywhere in the CP4).

I passed on the CP4 due to weight (38 pounds) and the fact that its AP samples are one dimensional (no sympathetic string resonance). 

I intend to busk with the PX5S, so 25 pounds is what's happening....

My "at home" slab is the fantastic Kawai MP11, which has excellent AP samples, the best keybed in the business, and weighs *only* 71 pounds......

I look forward to getting the new board and downloading the sounds.

Newbie question:

Does a downloaded sound *replace* an onboard sound?  Or are they stored in the USB stick?

Thanks...

Downloaded sounds need to be installed from the usb stick or using the computer data editor program.  

On the PX-5s, stage settings are what you will work with.  The keyboard has memory for 100 stage settings of your choice.  The keyboard will come with 100 readymade stage settings already installed.  Replace these with what you like from this forum, tweak them yourself, rearrange them or use them as is.

Each stage setting can contain the entire keyboard setup complete with completely new tones, effects, arpeggios, controller assignments and more.  

Another reason you passed on the CP-4 is this forum and the facebook group you are about to join.  The amount of support and knowledge behind the PX-5s is about to change your life.  If you are not using facebook, I suggest joining just for this reason.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

Actually, I've been avoiding Facebook for months since it eats time!  

So, thanks.... (just kidding...) :)

As to the CP4, I think the keybed is really excellent, as are the Rhodes.  But the AP sounds are not up to the same standards, and it's just too heavy to carry around town.

Of course I love my 71 pound Kawai MP11, but it's strictly for home use.  It's also a fairly "Luddite" instrument, with only 40 sounds.  So the PX5S will be the polar opposite!

I should have it in about a week or so, depending upon how long they take to ship it to me.

Remember, I'm a Jazz saxophone player of 42+ years..... Piano is my double, and I'm trying to play it at a high level as well.  Not an easy assignment!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great comparison and confirms my impression that the PX5 Rhodes is "boxy" compared to the real thing. This is especially evident in the phrases played from 2:00. The PX5 is slightly louder in the mix, which doesn't help the comparison and makes it sound subjectively better. I find reducing the mids from the factor default settings helps. In terms of playability, I don't think there's any comparison, with the PX5 only having 4 distinct velocity layered samples. Overall I find the Rhodes good enough for a lightweight solution, but much prefer an external sound source (e.g. laptop) 

• 1 year later...

Mmmmmm Rhodes. I love all Rhodes sounds.

My favorites, I think... HerbiesRoads (but without the arpeggiator setting on, I don't like the auto-pan with it on)... DeepDynoRhds, Dave's Tines 1 (I think that's what it's called, can't remember as I'm away)... RoadsMarkAmp...

They're all so damn useful. They come CLOSE to my Nord... but the key-off stuff the Nords have just nail it. We need more of that realism, on all of the Rhodes patches I mentioned. Ideally have them available in a slider.

I am ADDICTED to Rhodes and Wurly sounds (I can't do that crazy elec piano improv yet, but I'm workin on it)...

We need a good Wurly that has the bark/bite from Queen's "You're My Best Friend"... none of the Wurlys I've played in the PX-5s y(or downloaded) hit that sound. They're good, but... not there yet. The Yamaha Reface CP nails that Wurly, as does the standard Wurly sound in the Nord.

Can we get there? :)