Video Files on Forum ×

velocity curve setting per patch (ie: electric pianos)

jls

here's the problem i'm trying to solve: several of the rhodes type electric pianos i've tried either sound mellow or barky/loud depending on hard hard i strike the note. and there is no gradual in-between. if i play relatively lightly it is mellow and then just slightly more heavy fingering causes notes to jump out (timbre and volume), like it is just past a certain velocity threshold that makes it sound really different (and makes my playing sound really uneven!)

i have tried setting the system setting for touch to light and medium and am still running into the same behavior. 

is there a way to control the velocity curve per patch? (or some other solution for adjusting the range of tone from key velocity.)

thanks,

josh

• 2 weeks later...

i thought i should followup with my findings in case other users experience this same issue reported above...

turns out the Electric Piano patches i am using utilized different samples based on velocity range. 

I found this when using the screen editor and noticed that certain ranges are set to trigger certain samples.

so when i was playing notes above a certain velocity i would get different surprisingly different tone.

in addition to actual sample the velocity also triggers different amp settings.

after realizing this i was able to make adjustments to smooth things out and get a better result.

i also added in the compressor a bit and am much happier with the overall playability of the EPs.

-josh

• Like 2