Casio PX-5S as a Virtual Piano Controller

Totentanzz

Which VST piano is generally accepted and the best one?

Ivory II mainly their American Grand, VI Labs' Ravenscroft though their others are good as well, PIanoteq, and probably a few others I'm forgetting at this hour.

P.S. VST is the name of the Cubase plug-in format. Logic, MainStage, and GarageBand use AU, Pro Tools uses AAX I think, and there might be one or two others. "Plug-in" is thus more generic.

Well ... the Kawai MP11 costs almost 3X the Casio PX-5S price, so if the Casio performs 90% as well as the Kawai, then that's quite impressive. Keep in mind also that the Casio has 3X the labor warranty (with online registration) as the Kawai.

I agree that the MP11 is a more "realistic" acoustic piano feel.

Yep, my wallet is well aware of that!

Ivory II mainly their American Grand, VI Labs' Ravenscroft though their others are good as well, PIanoteq, and probably a few others I'm forgetting at this hour.

P.S. VST is the name of the Cubase plug-in format. Logic, MainStage, and GarageBand use AU, Pro Tools uses AAX I think, and there might be one or two others. "Plug-in" is thus more generic.

I really like the Fazoli in Ivory.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Gang,

Just saw this topic:

I use my PX5S to control Mainstage.   It wonderfully plays the Mainstage Steinway.   I also use Pianoteq 5 with the D4 and K2 concert grands, as well as the CP70.  I also have NI (Kontakt) Alicia's Keys.    For each of them, the PX5S really brings out the nuance in each instrument.    Right now, the Pianoteq pianos are my favorite.   You can really set it up for your own playing style. Velocity curve of note on and off, pedal, and allother amnner of subtleties.

For many songs, I layer modified verisons of the PX5S 0-0 Concert grand with sounds from my AU's.   The combination of a chorused 0-0 Concert grand and an "amped" CP70 form PianoTeq is wonderful.