Casio PX-5S as a Virtual Piano Controller

Totentanzz

Has anyone had success using their Casio Privia Pro PX-5S as a "virtual piano controller" ("VPC")?

What I mean is, has anyone connected their PX-5S to virtual piano software ("VST") so as to allow the PX-5S to function as a VPC, much like the Kawai VPC 1 (which sells for $1849, or about twice the price as the Casio)? I know that the Kawai MP7 and MP11 can function as VPC's, so I assume that the PX-5S can as well.

In this way, the PX-5S can import the capabilities of such VPC software as VI Labs' Ravenscroft 275, Garritan CFX Concert Grand, PianoTeq 5, ProductionGrand, etc.

I guess the obvious questions would be:

1. How well does the Casio function as a VPC?

2. Is there any software that's really great on the Casio?

3. Can anyone testify as to a particular brand?

I've used it with Ivory (the original, I don't have Ivory II) as well as the demo version of PianoTeq. I've also used it with the built-in software instruments in Logic and GarageBand. In all cases it's a great controller for most virtual instruments, except perhaps those that should be played with an unweighted controller such as organs. That's a matter of taste. But for pianos and electric pianos, it's great.

The real question is, what virtual piano do you prefer, and can your computer/interface system handle that piano with acceptable latency? If so, you should be all set with whatever VI you choose.

P.S. PianoTeq is one of the few VIs currently that handles hi-res MIDI, so turn that on in your PX-5S if you want to try it and have otherwise turned it off for compatibility issues.

• Like 2

In all cases it's a great controller for most virtual instruments, except perhaps those that should be played with an unweighted controller such as organs. That's a matter of taste. But for pianos and electric pianos, it's great.

That's great news, Joe. My threshold question really should have been stated as: "Assuming that you have an optimal computer system, and that you've found your ideal software, how effectively does a PX-5S function as a VPC?"

And you've answered that question in a very positive way, which is what I was hoping for. :)

• Like 1

The real question is, what virtual piano do you prefer, and can your computer/interface system handle that piano with acceptable latency? If so, you should be all set with whatever VI you choose.

Yep, that's the next question ... and I have very little to guide me, apart from some Youtube comparisons and online reviews.

But I think I've narrowed down the three top contenders to be: Ravenscroft 275, Garritan CFX Concert Grand, and PianoTeq 5.

• Like 1

I would not rule out the PX-5s's own Concert Grand engine.  It's one of the best out there. 

^^ This ^^^ -- I have A/Bd the PX-5S to a lot of software pianos and the PX-5S performs as well as the best of them. Just sculpt the EQ to your liking!

I guess that's the ultimate question, namely, whether the PX-5S Concert Grand engine, when tweaked to its full potential, equals or exceeds the expensive virtual piano software?  Apparently, the answer is "yes" ... which is very cool ... !

I guess that's the ultimate question, namely, whether the PX-5S Concert Grand engine, when tweaked to its full potential, equals or exceeds the expensive virtual piano software?  Apparently, the answer is "yes" ... which is very cool ... !

Of course everyone has different tastes, but in an objective A/B of the PX-5S vs. Ravenscroft I couldn't tell which was which.. and the Raven is a 35 gig insturment!!!!! 

Yep, that's the next question ... and I have very little to guide me, apart from some Youtube comparisons and online reviews.

But I think I've narrowed down the three top contenders to be: Ravenscroft 275, Garritan CFX Concert Grand, and PianoTeq 5.

Well, you can try PianoTeq 5. The demo is a free (and small) download and should be enough to tell you if you like it.

There is an interesting video made by Max Tempia (italian Casio guru) about this topic. Unfortunatelly is in italian...

Anyway the main subject is how the triple sensor of the weighted hammer action keybed of the PX-5s is performing in combination of a "top of the line" piano VST.

The bottom line is (even considering we are speaking about a less then 900 euros product) the PX-5S is a great keyboard controller for all that application where weighted keybed is a must.

The bottom line is (even considering we are speaking about a less then 900 euros product) the PX-5S is a great keyboard controller for all that application where weighted keybed is a must.

A related question that's piqued my curiosity is whether, when used as a virtual piano controller, the Casio PX-5S can perform comparably to the Kawai VPC1, with both using identical virtual software.

I assume that the Kawai VPC1 is significantly superior, given that it costs twice as much and has none of the "extras" that the PX-5S has.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am looking to replace my keyboard controller for my home studio (Studiologic 990-XP - motherboard gone bad) and I am ready to pull the trigger on the PX-5S but also have my eyes on the Roland A-88 however there is not one I can  check out locally.  So I'm really curious if anyone here had the opportunity to compare the keyboard feel and velocity sensitivity between the PX-5S and the Roland A-88.

And I'm also curious if there are any Studiologic 990-XP owners here who can advise how the keyboard feel and velocity sensitivity of PX-5S compares to that as well.

Thanks so much for your input!!

- Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a newbie. I've owned the KAWAI VPC1 & have been playing a borrowed CASIO CDP-120. I can say that I much prefer the CASIO for the feel and integration with Modartt's Pianoteq 5. I am waiting for my new CASIO PX5S and expect it to be even better feel and integration wise due to the fact that it is a new action, transmits note off velocity and uses Hi Res MIDI to boot. I hope to post a further comparison when I have auditioned the PX5S.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

Someone would need to know both keyboards well to tell you. The Kawai has wooden piano-like keys but other than that, the Casio is great if you like it. I like it. I don't feel the need for the VPC-1. If I want to feel a real piano, I play my real piano (which happens to be a Kawai!). :D

Just tried the CASIO CDP-120 with the RAVENSCROFT 275 (VI LABS) and the results are phenomenal. The interaction between the Casio and the Ravenscroft is perfect. I didn't have to tweak the velocity curve in any way. I have never experienced instant integration like this before. With the VPC1 I was always tweaking the velocity curve in the VPC Editor software. I shall be playing the Ravenscroft today!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A related question that's piqued my curiosity is whether, when used as a virtual piano controller, the Casio PX-5S can perform comparably to the Kawai VPC1, with both using identical virtual software.

I assume that the Kawai VPC1 is significantly superior, given that it costs twice as much and has none of the "extras" that the PX-5S has.

I own the Kawai MP11, which features a similar but improved keyboard to the Kawai VPC1.

I've now owned the Casio PX5S long enough to make the following comparison:

The Kawai is like butter.  It's landing is softer.  It's touchweight is slightly lighter.  It's key length and pivot is much longer.  Thus playing on the inside of the keys is easier.  There is more throw in the Kawai.  The Kawai weight almost three times as much as the Casio.  The Kawai feels more like an actual piano.  The Kawai has a much simpler interface and is easy to use.  It only has 40 sounds and really fulfills a different function.

The VPC1 has touch curves that are germane to the individual VST instruments.  The MP11 does not.

I think the Kawai MP11 is about as realistic a piano keybed as is available for less than 10 grand or so.  The Casio is probably 90 percent of the Kawai.  I'm glad I own both.

I own the Kawai MP11, which features a similar but improved keyboard to the Kawai VPC1.

I've now owned the Casio PX5S long enough to make the following comparison:

The Kawai is like butter.  It's landing is softer.  It's touchweight is slightly lighter.  It's key length and pivot is much longer.  Thus playing on the inside of the keys is easier.  There is more throw in the Kawai.  The Kawai weight almost three times as much as the Casio.  The Kawai feels more like an actual piano.  The Kawai has a much simpler interface and is easy to use.  It only has 40 sounds and really fulfills a different function.

The VPC1 has touch curves that are germane to the individual VST instruments.  The MP11 does not.

I think the Kawai MP11 is about as realistic a piano keybed as is available for less than 10 grand or so.  The Casio is probably 90 percent of the Kawai.  I'm glad I own both.

Well ... the Kawai MP11 costs almost 3X the Casio PX-5S price, so if the Casio performs 90% as well as the Kawai, then that's quite impressive. Keep in mind also that the Casio has 3X the labor warranty (with online registration) as the Kawai.

I agree that the MP11 is a more "realistic" acoustic piano feel.