Video Files on Forum ×

ROLAND STREET CUBE EX AMP?

Skyscrapersax

I'm looking for the most portable, lightest amp for piano and playing backing tracks for my saxophone, for busking - in New York City.

I don't want to screw around with a deep cycle battery & inverter - too heavy.  So I'm left with battery contained devices.

My current busking amp is the Sampson Expedition 40iw, but its battery is failing, and I don't think it sounds that great on my Kawai MP11.

For my forthcoming PX5S, I'm looking at the newer Roland Cube Street EX.  Their keyboard-specific KC-110 is also an option, but it's only 20 watts (or 30, if the RavPower device is used, per PianoManChuck's video).  And I've heard it's bass-weak.

The Steet Ex is 50 watts (again, I don't know if that's with AC or not).  I may end up with two RavPowers, one for the keyboard and one for the amp.

The Street EX is guitar-centric, with some useless guitar-type effects ("distortion," etc.).  But it's stereo, has two 8" cones and 1" tweeters, is 16 pounds, runs on batteries, has all the connection goodies, blah, blah, blah.  And it's *only* five hundred bucks.

Anybody use one of these things?

Well first of all, stereo from any of the Roland amps doesn't really mean much as there is no speaker separation. Now, you don't really need stereo for a busking gig anyway - but I thought we would tackle that one first in case that is something you were factoring in.

As far as sounding good with the PX-5S piano sound:  Really depends on which piano patch you are using and how much you sculpt the sound using EQ, but honestly any of these (including your Sampson) would do an equal job of making the PX-5S piano sound like crap -- esp. in the bass. The question is which one would make it sound least crappy?  PAs generally do better than amps like the KC or Cube, but not always esp. if the pa speaker is small. I would probably go with the one with the best SPL rating (wattage doesn't all tell the whole story) and has the best form factor for the gig.

Of course, nothing beats trying them out. If you buy from a place with a generous return policy, I would test them and see what works best for your sounds.

Good luck! 

I agree regarding stereo for busking.  Obviously, there's no stereo triangle involved.

Except perhaps regarding the ability to output whatever sound I'm using in mono - is this available as a global feature, or is it sound specific?

As to the bass, the Samson has a 6" woofer and does a good job of playing background music with loud bass.  It has bass and treble EQ, which helps.  I may be able to replace the battery.

The Roland Bass Micro Cube might be good, but it's only 5 watts.  I would have to think that the Street Cube EX, with 2 8" woofers and 50 watts, would be better....

SPL ratings are new to me... what are they?

I'll certainly have to bring my Samson to a store that has the Street Cube EX and a-b it.  Of course, my local Guitar Centers don't have it, and have to "special order it."  Then, of course, they want you to buy it.  I'd rather buy local, but such brick and mortar stores can't really compete with the mail order houses in this regard.  Same with PX5S - nobody has them at the store.

I just ordered an Alto TS110A and it's on the way.  Will be giving it a full test paired with the PX-5s and XW-G1.  Excited!   

For battery powered speakers, Ion Audio portable speakers run forever and have fair sound level. They have a few models, some with wheels and a luggage type extension handle.  I have the Tailgater Bluetooth.  For acoustic piano, sound quality is only passable but not stellar.  I created a custom EQ'ed acoustic piano stage setting on the PX-5s specially for the Tailgater.   After all the tweaks, the little amp works for me in small jam sessions.  

The Alto that's coming should blow the Ion away in all aspects.  

I play tenor and alto.... :)

I can't find any lightweight AC power solution, so I think I'll have to go for either one of the Rolands (KC110 or Street Cube EX)..

Either that, or just buy a new battery for my Samson Expedition (if they are available). 

I played my Kawai MP11 through it today at high volume.  It's clean enough, but I was wishing for a bigger presence.

I'm not sure the $500 spent on a new amp will sound that much better than the Samson, which has served me well for yeas for backing tracks for saxophone.

What I'd REALLY like doesn't exist - the PX5S of amps - really lightweight (like 10 pounds max), really loud and clean, and a wall wart.  That way, I can use a RavPower.

Come to think of it, what powered PA speakers/amps DO use wall warts?  Any?

I have also looked at the problem of sounding good on the street without the weight.

For me including cost,the adaptor/battery is the way to go.

The battery is too heavy.

Sure

But with lots of innovation into lithium batteries....mobility scooters/cars etc

Surely they make a light one and little wheels make everything light

Are any of you guys into batteries (and well edcucameted like meself !)

As to weight, Denon-Marantz are releasing the Envoi, which appears to be perfect, with a 10" woofer, but 41 pounds.

There's actually a ton of battery powered portable PA systems out there, but they all weigh way too much or are of dubious quality.

I've yet to find a powered speaker that uses a wall wart.  If I can, the RavPower would appear to work.

Original Street or Street EX?  I tried the original at GC today; sounded good but I'd like louder.

I only have room for one - I don't want to carry 30 pounds!

Original. I had both these amps anyway, for guitar. It's nice to play in stereo.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I'm looking for a suitable amp for my PX5S.  Presently I use it through a korg PA 50 (midi input only to the Korg) and it sounds ok.But I have  no joy with various amps Ive tried.  Initially I ran the Casio through a Wharfdale  mixer and it sounded terrible. I have a couple of powered speakers that sound good  with the Korg and also a Roland BK5 but the Casio PX5S doesn't sound good through this setup.  When I run the Korg output (with or without the PX5S connected to it)  the sound is acceptable. I don't want  to carry the Casio around trying various amps.  Any suggestions as to a reasonably priced keyboard  amp  suitable for direct amplification of the PX5S would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks