I Need Help with MIDI using a stage setting for MainStage.

JMO
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Hi People! I recently purchased a PX5S and love this forum along with the Facebook page. It's been a huge help getting started. I am learning my way around, and finally starting to get the whole stage setting thing. 

I have a question. I have read that I can use a specific stage setting... say 1-0, that be be completely for MIDI and control MainStage. I was using MainStage before buying this keyboard, using a simple MIDI controller, and it was plug and play... very easy and never had to worry about MIDI channels or any of that. I am a complete idiot when it comes to MIDI, and would like someone to explain specifically in detail, how to set a stage setting so that I can jump to that, and have control of my MainStage concerts and patches using all the sliders and knobs on the PX5S. Again, I am new and don't know much about MIDI, so if you can, please give me step by step, or point me to where that step by step process exists. So far, I have not even got into any editing of stage settings, other than I know how to change tones. 

I use USB for the MIDI and have a Pre-Sonus Interface along with a Macbook Pro. I did find the download for the PX5S layout, and that's awesome. I just don't know how to set my PX5S to use it for MainStage. 

Thanks in advance for all the excellent and wise advice from all you experts out there in Casio Land. 

J-MO

The PX-5s is also plug and play in essence.  Many of the stage settings are already setup for midi control like 0-0 Concert Grand.  That is a simple 1 zone stage setting that sends on channel 1.  

The midi "learn" feature of Mainstage can map the existing sliders and knobs to various functions.  

Are you having trouble getting it to work?

• Like 1

Thanks. To be more specific, don't I need to do some editing on the PX5S, say in stage setting 0-0 that tells the PX5S to let MainStage use all the sliders and knobs and use the sounds from MainStage? In other words, if I just plug and play and map my sliders to MainStage, won't the grand piano sound still come out of the PX and all the sliders still control the sound for the Grand Piano tones inside the PX? I thought there was some editing that I need to do in the menus on the PX to send the midi signals etc... I read something somewhere about changing some settings for MIDI channels etc... and I don't really understand what all that means. I am fine with using Stage Setting 0-0 for a setting that just controls MainStage and want to be able to jump to another Stage Setting to control the PX5S tones. Back and forth...  Does that make sense?

still having issues. I have set the Generator to off in zone edit, and the midi out is on, and the USB midi out is on. Everything is connected, and I have shut it all down and back on again, and I can't get MainStage to recognize or "assign" the keyboard. I have tried it with my m-audi key rig 49, and it recognized it and assigned it right away, so I don't think the problem is with MainStage. 

My lap top is connected directly to the PX5S via USB. I also have the laptop connected to my Pre-sonus Audiobox 2, and that is also connected via midi cable to the PX5s. I have tried it with the Midi Cable connected and without and nothing. MainStage can't be assigned to the keys, or things like the sustain or any knobs or sliders. It's like there is no midi connection at all. 

Is there anything else within the PX5S menu that i need to do? 

Hmmm. This should work. MIDI-over-USB should be enough. Is MainStage seeing MIDI data from the PX-5S at all? Check MainStage's MIDI indicator. You might also want to try MIDI Monitor to see all the MIDI data that's coming from the PX-5S (it's a free download).

[i have a little caveat to what others posted above once you get this working. Often, Stage Settings don't have the knobs assigned to MIDI controller values (CCs). If you want those to do something in MainStage, you'll have to add that to each. But we can remedy that when we get this working.]

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man. I have been working on the same thing and think I have a mainstage/px5 idea that might be really helpful to you.

I have managed to assign all of my sliders to different piano/organ sounds and am going to attempt to assign the solo instruments to the knobs. I had to "un assign" all of the faders and knobs on the Px-5 to do this. Let me know if you care to discuss. Best, Greg

• 1 year later...

I am going crazy trying to map the dials and the mod wheel from the PX-5S to MainStage. I have no problem mapping the 6 sliders, but the knobs and mod wheel seem to not be sending any midi information. Is there a setting in the PX-5S that I am possibly filtering, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

paul

To expand on Joe's quote, you can try to find a stage setting that already has it setup or do it yourself. To do it yourself, press edit>stage setting> common edit >knob edit> target>...choose an unused CC. Also make sure the knobs are enabled in the zones you are using. That's edit>stage setting> zone edit>controller enable>knob>on. Write the stage setting to save.