Video Files on Forum ×

Organ

Mind Flayer

I bought the Privia PX-5S a few months ago, and I'm really loving it.

Sorry for the double post, I meant to post in this forum but also posted this in the general casio forum. Anyway:

Lately, I have become interested in concentrating on the Hammond organ sound - I've been inspired by Jimmy Smith's "Root Down" album.

I think I can get some decent organ sounds using the various downloads I have found on the site. But having never played an actual Hammond before (or any organ, for that matter), I'm not sure if the PX-5S's keybed is right for this style of music - I'm talking about uptempo, funky organ, not funeral home organ.

I'm thinking about getting a Hammond XK1C because it has waterfall keys and may be better suited for that type of playing - not to replace the PX-5S, but as a second, dedicated module. But I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my money. Is it that difficult to play those types of fast runs on the PX-5S, or is the Casio really going to limit me? Keep in mind that I'm a relative beginner on piano and organ.

This is where I always break out my clip of Rob Angelow shredding the PX-5S with the stock rock organ sound:

So it CAN be done.. However, most people pair a weighted board like PX-5S with a synth/organ action keyboard.. and usually one with a good organ emulation. So no, the Hammond organ is not a bad idea at all-- but I would also look at the Casio XW-P1. The organ on that is quite good and it has a lot of other very nice features.  

That's really a personal decision. I have a real Hammond A-100 and as good as the PX-5S sounds, I'd rather play organ on organ-style keys. Yet, I do most of my organ at gigs on a Nord Electro 2!   :huh:

That's bit of a joke. The NE2 has a lot going for it, but the action has a lot of "pushback," probably so it feels better for pianos, so it doesn't feel like a real Hammond.

I'm thinking standing behind the keyboard and playing.   Or did they record the video with a mirror?

It took me a long time to get used to piano style keys playing organ on the WK7500.   My CTK 900 has diving board keys and is better.   I have to agree with Joe,  playing organ with water fall keys like the Hammond is still the best way to play organ.    I don't miss taking the Hammond to gigs at all... 

CTK900

WK7500

Hammond A143

Leslie 145

Is it my dodgy eyesight or is that player in the clip playing left handed? .........reverse keyscale sort of thing.

It's something weird with the Mac cam.. I've seen it a couple times. When I included that clip in a compilation video I ended up reversing the image in the editor so it liked normal. All in a days work.