PX-150 auto power-off after only a couple of minutes

hi

i'm hoping someone can help me with this as it's a really annoying issue that will cause me to dump this otherwise working instrument as it totally disrupts my workflow (and daw).

my px-150 turns itself off after only a few minutes of inactivity. it's variable, sometimes 1min, sometimes 5mins, normally around 2min after the last keypress. if i play constantly, this doesn't happen - i've tested for 30mins.

i've tried disabling the auto-power-off feature (which is supposed to be a 4 hour inactive period), but that does nothing either.

any and all help is greatly appreciated!

thanks

larry

thanks scott. i have tried unplugging it, but no difference.  

i contacted a repair guy and it's going to cost me $250 just for him to come take a look at it and double that if he needs to come back after ordering parts - that's the cost of the keyboard to begin with!

do you know if anyone has a schematic for the px-150?

FWIW --

I've just done a quick read-through of the manual, and haven't found a "factory reset" option.

But the manual does have a suggestion for "funny things happen", in the "Troubleshooting" section:

. . . Turn off the "back up" feature;

. . . Turn off power, and then turn it back on.

That _might_ help.

.       Charles

• Like 1

Larry -- I see on Piano World you figured out the problem. Next time you need help it would be most useful to know the whole story so we can better troubleshoot the issue. Glad you sorted it out. 

Just so everyone else knows what the issue was:

From Piano World:

thanks to all for your helpful replies.

i have tried casio support and they also suggested to turn the 'backup' option off (which didn't work), else call a technician. also tried/trying the casio forum at the same time as posting here, nothing much there.

however, i was trying things in desperation last night and i found that if the headphone jack is plugged in everything works normally! as some background, i'm using the guts of the px-150 inside a wooden console that i built (it's a new keyboard but i'm pretty sure that voids any warranty it might have had); it's only being used as a midi controller, so neither the headphone or speaker outs were in use, just the usb. i guess whatever algorithm is determining the power-off is factoring in things other than the solely the time of the last keypress. i will try tonight if switching 'local control' on is equivalent to the headphone jack solution, but even if that fails i can just leave a 1/4" adapter plugged in, so i think this is as good as resolved.

thanks again for your help

larry

Wow, that still doesn't sound like a solution that should work! Plugging in the headphones or not should make no difference in the time for auto-shutdown to work. Make sure you have no weird short circuits or partially disconnected cables since you've disassembled this already. Even a faling leaky capacitor could cause this shutdown.  The other possibility no-one mentioned, try a different Casio (or compatible) power supply. If there is something wrong there, even a slight weak connection in the cable or power plug (DC end) which is sometimes easy to overlook-could cause the Casio to shutdown. I've had a power supply that was providing just enough power to power up a Casio, but not keep it on because there was a slight fraying inside the power supply cable-it was not supplying enough voltage to the Casio because of this, and it was not easy to detect-everything looked intact until I flexed it around and noticed I could get the Casio to shutdown if I flexed it just the right (or wrong) way.