Video Files on Forum ×

EXPRESSION PEDAL PROBLEM

babamama

babamama,

If you mean, "why do so many people consider it a problem?" I think it has to do with what people are used to.  Organists especially use an expression pedal as a volume control.   A lot of older keyboard players use it to control the volume of their synths.  If people are used to doing something a particular way or using a particular tool, it can be difficult for them to be without that tool.

With todays midi equipment, computers, and so on, I really don't see the need for a dedicated input - especially on a keyboard like the px that responds to one's playing style so well.

• Like 1

I guess that expression pedal is a MUST for organ sounds! It's part of the player technique the usage of the expression pedal to obtain certain effects that are tipical of the tonewheels (Hammond) organ. I don't consider the PX-5S a viable option for "heavy" organ usage.

Considering that the PX-5S is mainly a stage piano the expression pedal need was not considered by the engineers who designed the product.

I believe that expression pedal is useful even for pads sounds (like strings) to obtain a better effect.

From my last experience watching Steve Weingart at the Protocol II concert (my seat was less the 2 mt. on his back), I saw him using key velocity (touch) to obtain the same effect.

It's more difficult but, I can tell you, the result was great!

• Like 1

If you are a gigging musician that really must have an Expression pedal. Your in trouble.
There are work arounds, I've tried most. But I found the only practicle thing to use for master volume is a stereo analogue volume pedal. Such as a Behringer FVC100.
I found the lack of an expression socket a simple but mayor flaw.
I spent lots of time and money trying workarounds that were not seriously gig able.

• Like 1

The Behringer FCB1010 is probably the best solution for gigging. Dual expression pedals so you can control 2 zones, up and down switches to change patches plus 10 filly programmable switches that can do anything from pull up favorite stage settings to play notes or even chords. 

• Like 1

The Behringer FCB1010 is probably the best solution for gigging. Dual expression pedals so you can control 2 zones, up and down switches to change patches plus 10 filly programmable switches that can do anything from pull up favorite stage settings to play notes or even c

The Behringer FCB1010 cant be used to adjust Master volume on a PX5s.

Its also a monster size. Far too big for what it does. Its about half the size and weight of a PX5.

What ever way it's put, Lack of an expression pedal socket is unforgivable to me.

The Behringer FCB1010 is probably the best solution for gigging. Dual expression pedals so you can control 2 zones, up and down switches to change patches plus 10 filly programmable switches that can do anything from pull up favorite stage settings to play notes or even chords.

It should be interesting for all FCB1010 to share the configuration file to control PX5S volume

• 1 year later...
On May 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Normski said:

The Behringer FCB1010 cant be used to adjust Master volume on a PX5s.

There is a ROM upgrade for the FCB1010 called UnO which adds a bunch of functionality, including, I believe, the ability to program it to send sysex commands, which I think would allow you to adjust master volume. But for master volume, it is simpler just to put a plain analog volume pedal on the Line Out.

The advantage of the normal operation of the FCB1010 (or other channel-specific expression pedal solution)--which also gets back to the general question of the thread about the benefits of these pedals in general--is to allow you to control individual parts that have been assigned to different channels. A common example is being able to fade strings in and out under piano. But any time you are splitting or layering two sounds, it can be useful to have a pedal that affects the volume of one but not the other, that's where you'd want to use an expression pedal rather than an analog volume pedal.

For another example, let's say you've split the keyboard for playing left hand bass. What if you want to make your right hand sound louder or quieter without affecting the volume of the bass? A pedal is a great way to do that. Sure, you could also use one of the sliders, but that requires that you stop playing with one of your hands in order to make the adjustment. Typically, when playing LH bass, you can't stop that part. So if you want to adjust your right hand sound (piano, for example), you'll have to stop playing your right hand part, adjust the slider then go back to playing... an approach that is further complicated by the fact that there will be some guesswork involved in setting the level, as you can't play the part and adjust the level of the part at the same time.

A solution for that problem that does not require an expression pedal would be to pan your bass sound left and your piano sound right, and then if you had an analog pedal on the right line out, you'd be able to use that to control your RH sound without affecting your LH sound. Of course, that limits you to playing mono sounds.

Another use for an expression pedal is to introduce any other sound alteration, like modulation or filter, without having to use a hand. Again, if your LH is busy playing bass or some other part, it can be nice to be able to introduce effects like vibrato or filter sweeps on your lead part without having to use a hand. (Aftertouch is another way to do this on some boards, but not the PX5S.) 

• 7 years later...

Take a look at:

MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller

It should be able to convert any analog potentiometer  (pedal) to MIDI data.  That means you should be able to plug an expression pedal into 1 end and then run MIDI directly into the PX-5s from the other end.  You can setup which CC you want to control.  In most cases it would probably be CC 11 .

• Like 1

Since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, I'll add this.  The PX-5S can perform swells and other constantly variable pedal type functions with a standard switch type pedal.  The difference is the swell is programmed ahead of time by configuring pedal settings.  Many users have "expressed" that they prefer this method over a standard expression pedal since it's consistent each time.  If you prefer more freedom to control the range and timing of a swell with your foot rather than programming those things ahead of time, a MIDI based pedal will be the way to go.  

Does anyone know if the midi volume control is a master volume control or can it be routed to the pre-amp stage etc? I don't have a px5s yet...still working out if it'll work for me.

27 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, I'll add this.  The PX-5S can perform swells and other constantly variable pedal type functions with a standard switch type pedal.  The difference is the swell is programmed ahead of time by configuring pedal settings.  Many users have "expressed" that they prefer this method over a standard expression pedal since it's consistent each time.  If you prefer more freedom to control the range and timing of a swell with your foot rather than programming those things ahead of time, a MIDI based pedal will be the way to go.  

Edited by jojo