Using the Line/In ports.

Geoff

Apologies in advance if this seems like a stupid question...

I'm using a PX-5S. Output is stereo via two amps. I want to now add a microphone to this mix.

Can I connect the (mono) output socket of a Boss VE-20 Vocal Processor to the (mono) Line/In input and thereby mix the output of the VE-20 with the output of the PX-5S? I Think I can (but i'm not sure). I reckon the output from, say, a VE-20 should be, in "power" terms, no different than that of any other line/in instrument (say, an electric guitar). I do realize the PX-5S is a stage piano, not a mixer per se, but can't help wonder what those Line/In ports are for and whether I can use them (and use them safely, without causing damage).

Any responses would be appreciated.

The line in is perfect for that since you are using a vocal processor. Anything with a line level output will work.  The PX-5s mixer has a volume adjustment for the line/audio (external volume) input as well.  

Thank you. It's an interesting subject. So, say, at the simplest level, a bass player could use the line/in port (no need for a separate bass amp, at least not in principle) and become part of the overall PX-5S output, as could, say, any guitar player playing through a signal processor. Putting the power of these modern signal/sound processors - input, simply, via line/in to the PX-5S - with the phenomenal creative capabilities of the PX-5S has unlimited potential.

• 1 year later...

Hey Brad and folks - Do you have to set the mix setting for the input at the Stage Setting level or is there a more "universal" option.  I'm running a Rode M3 (has it's own 9v power) into the input for mixing with my keys in a variety of stage settings.  Super optimal would be if I can set the input mix vs keyboard volumes to manipulate with a knob or slider.

Apologies if this is kind of a newbie question... but I'm a PX-5S newbie ;-)

Dave