Action of Casio PX-5S versus Roland A-88

Courtlaw

I am looking to replace my keyboard controller for my home studio (Studiologic 990-XP - motherboard has gone bad) and researching fully weighted, graded action 88 key controllers.  I have a classical music background so I am looking for the best authentic acoustic keyboard feel in the $1,000 - $1,500 price range.

I have narrowed my serach down to 2 controllers: Casio PX-5S and the Roland A-88. 

Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the action and velocity sensitivity between the PX-5S and the Roland A-88? I understand the PX-S5 has triple sensor keybed and the Roland A-88 is not using the keybed with the triple sensor found in is flagship RD800. But in all practicality, will this really make a difference in the real world when we are playing, composing and arranging?

I'm also curious if there are any Studiologic 990-XP owners here who have tried the PX-5S and can advise how the action compares between those two keyboards as well.

Thanks so much for your input!!

- Steve

The PX-5S will have most expressive keyboard action. In addition to the triple sensors, it also have high resolution MIDI so instead of 127 possible velocity value, you have 16,384. This works for the internal engine and if you have a software piano that is capable of reading hi-res MIDI (there are several) you can take advantage of this. 

As far as keyboard feel,  I have an acoustic grand piano and am very picky about weighted actions. I looked at just about everything out there when I was shopping for an 88 key digital. The Casio Privia action is the best, hands down (no pun intended!). Now, this is something that is an individual preference, but just about everyone who tries the Privia action have nothing but praise for it.. there are a few people I have heard from that don't like compared to (insert brand name) -- but those are few and far between. 

The PX-5S is best keyboard I have ever owned, and I have been collecting and playing since 1985. Best purchase I have ever made. 

• Like 1

Thanks Scott and Brad for your replies.

I highly value your opinions! There is no doubt the PX-5S is a great keyboard with great action but I just need to know if either of you had a chance to compare the action of the PX-5S to the Roland A-88

Thanks!

Thanks Scott and Brad for your replies.

I highly value your opinions! There is no doubt the PX-5S is a great keyboard with great action but I just need to know if either of you had a chance to compare the action of the PX-5S to the Roland A-88

Thanks!

Yes I tried the A-88 and found it sluggish.  Also, the A-88 and PX-5S are the same price so you get the added benefit of having an on-board sound engine .. a really great one at that. Also the A-88 has no realtime controls knobs or sliders. To me it's a no brainer. 

• Like 2

Okay I just received the PX-5S and to test the triple sensor action the first piece I tried was Billy Joel's Angry Young Man and so far I am not impressed. I've tried both the Casio concert stage piano and then tried my sample library Quantum Leap Pianos and the repetition response is no better than my Studiologic 900 XP.  I must be doing something wrong? Is there a system setting I am supposed to use to activate the triple sensor on this thing?

Under system settings try setting the touch response to light. Also under system settings find Stage Setting Filers and try turning hammer response off.. See if that makes any difference. 

Will do as soon as I get back later!!  For shitz and giggles can you try playing the intro to "Angry Young Man" and tell me what you think - You only have to play the the first few bars to get the idea.

Will do as soon as I get back later!!  For shitz and giggles can you try playing the intro to "Angry Young Man" and tell me what you think - You only have to play the the first few bars to get the idea.

HA! The key word there would be try. I would need to turn the arpeggiator to be able to play notes like that. You will need to find someone with more skills than I (won't be too hard!) :P  

Courtlaw,

While the general action and feel of the Px-5s is quite good (IMO), the "key up" speed is extremely slow in my experience.  Repeated notes do not come off well.  Trills do not come off well. I don't know how that compares to the Roland, but if there is a gripe I have with the Px-5s, it's the slowness of the action.  Maybe over time, as the keys wear down it'll be better.

Courtlaw,

While the general action and feel of the Px-5s is quite good (IMO), the "key up" speed is extremely slow in my experience.  Repeated notes do not come off well.  Trills do not come off well. I don't know how that compares to the Roland, but if there is a gripe I have with the Px-5s, it's the slowness of the action.  Maybe over time, as the keys wear down it'll be better.

Hi Choppin

If what you say is true the that defeats the whole purpose of the triple sensor which was one of the main reasons I bought this keyboard. What a downer. I guess I'm back to the drawing board in researching other keyboards. Perhaps I should bite the bull let and get the Roland RD800. I'm so disappointed right now

everybody has their own experience.  I don't know if what I experience holds true for everyone, or if it's based on skill or playing style.  For me though, it's something that's bothered me since day one.  But having said that, I am extremely happy with my purchase.  I generally love the sounds and am still discovering how to use and enjoy this keyboard.  I think the feel of the action and the keys themselves allow for great expression.  I just would like a faster key up.

The more I play, the more I enjoy it.  You really should test out the keyboards that you want if you can.  The only one that can really answer your questions regarding how a particular keyboard plays, is you.

The PX-5s action can be slow or fast depending on the hammer response setting.  That setting adjusts the time it takes for sound to occur once the key is depressed.  It makes a huge difference in the feeling.  With a setting of zero, it's fastest.  The PX-5s keys do not need to return to resting position to retrigger sound.  This really helps with super fast repetition of notes. 

The PX-5s keys do not need to return to resting position to retrigger sound.

Unfortunately they do not come up high enough, fast enough to allow very quick repetition.  The tri-sensor design is good in theory, but if the mechanics do not allow it's use to be maximized, then it only ends up helping a little.

Use your index fingers like drum sticks.  Do a "drum roll" on a table so you know you can do it evenly.  Try doing it on the PX-5s on one key.  If you can get the same smoothness as you did on the table, I'd have to consider my experience to be related to my keyboard in particular being stiff. 

Over on KC, the "Angry Young Man" test on the PX-5s looks like it worked fine for David.  Even with VST's in the mix. 

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2637679/Re_Casio_Privia#Post2637679

I have never tried that tune myself, but in a few minutes of practice on the PX-5s I can see where it's very playable.  I don't see any issues.  I have hammer response set to zero and system touch on light.  

The PX-5s action can be slow or fast depending on the hammer response setting.  That setting adjusts the time it takes for sound to occur once the key is depressed.  It makes a huge difference in the feeling.  With a setting of zero, it's fastest.  The PX-5s keys do not need to return to resting position to retrigger sound.  This really helps with super fast repetition of notes.

I see the Hammer Response in the Stage Setting Filters - it can be either On or Off.

BUT....I can't find the location of the "Hammer Response Setting" (where you suggest a setting of Zero). Hope you can steer me to the location of that menu item.

Thanks!

Loving my PX–5s for two years now!

I own both the Privia Pro PX-5S and the Roland A88 controller.  The Roland A88 is no slouch.  It is well make and very responsive.  The key depth is not as deep as the PX-5S.   I like the PX-5S but it does not have the same comfort of playing as the A88.  I feel more secure in my articulations on the A88 than the PX-5S.  I play Chopin, Listz, Debussy etc.  With this type of music the A88 responds faster to key strokes than does the PX-5S.  The A88 is very even throughout the entire 88 key range.  I thought it a bit expensive for just a controller, but I am glad I got it.  I midi it up to my Integra 7 and I have Supernatural pianos.  I really could not tell any greater response from the triple sensor PX-5S and the A88.  I actually felt the A88 to be a bit more expressive.  I could play at softer levels more easily with the A88.  Just my opinion.  Everybody has their own.  You can get the A88 used faily reasonable if you keep an eye out.

Did billy do cocain back in 84?

Heck, I haven't seen too many paino players jump,move and wiggle that fast and hard sence Buddy Holly,and we know what his deal was.

Sorry about my misbehaver post, but i gave it a go on my Xw-G1 and im just not fast enough. :blink:

Larry