Video Files on Forum ×

stage settings

i JUST PURCHASED MY px-5s AND HAVE ONE VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: i COMPARED THE CASIO PRODUCT TO THE KORG KROSS 88, WHICH HAS BUTTONS TO PULL UP FAVORITE SOUNDS ON THE FLY WHEN I'M PERFORMING. i UNDERSTAND THE PX-5S HAS STAGE SETTINGS (MANY OF THEM) ON THE RIGHT SIDE, WITH BUTTONS 0-9. EACH BUTTON ALREADY HAS AN INSTRUMENT ASSIGNED TO IT. HOW WOULD I CHANGE THAT INSTRUMENT AND ASSIGN A DIFFERENT ONE THAT I PREFER, SO I CAN PUNCH THE BUTTON DURING A PERFORMANCE AND NOT HAVE TO SCROLL THROUGH THE INSTRUMENT LIST? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Hello and welcome!  

Looks like you need a crash course in stage settings.  The PX-5s uses a unique new memory system.  Stage settings actually store their own sounds.  You can go to the tone section on the left and choose from the presets to assemble your own stage setting or you can edit the tones or create new ones from scratch right inside of the stage setting.  When done, press the write button to store the new stage setting and everything now lives there.  

To create your own stage setting, choose the zone you wish using the zone buttons and then choose your tone.  Switch zones using the zone buttons.  Turn zones on/off by pressing both zone buttons together.  Edit zone key ranges by pressing edit>stage setting>zone edit>mixer edit>key range>hi and lo.  Use the num key button and note on the keyboard to set hi and lo. After finishing edits, exit out of edit mode and press write stage setting. 

You will also want to visit http://sc3900.wix.com/px-5s to find hours of super helpful tutorial videos on the PX-5s and links to all important PX-5s stuff.  

You will also want to visit http://sc3900.wix.com/px-5s to find hours of super helpful tutorial videos on the PX-5s and links to all important PX-5s stuff.  

^^^^ This! ^^^^ At http://PX-5S.com/howto you will find all of Casio's Mike Martin's how-to videos. Take the time to watch each of them with your PX-5S turned on and in front of you so you can follow along.   They are only about an hour each so if you watch one every other day, you will be a PXpert in less than two weeks. The 5-6 hours invested now will save you a lot more time and head scratching in the future. There is also a nice FAQ at http://PX-5S.com that details how to perform the most common functions.   

• Like 1

Thanks scott-Got most of this stuff under control but if you would indulge me, i have another questioin.....When i play a tone selected from the left side, the sliders S1-6 allow me to adjust reverb, tremelo, resonance, cutoff etc.  However, when I assigned some of these tones to the stage settings on the right, I lost the ability to use the faders in the same way.  How can I got this ability back when using ther stage settings (or can I)?  Thanks for your time.  Glenn

The sliders, knobs, mod wheel  and pedals (called "controllers") are completely programmable.  They can do well over a hundred different things.  The settings you are finding (reverb, cutoff, etc..), were programmed into the stage setting and zones.  Sometimes you can find a stage setting setup mostly like you wish.  You can use that as a template for your own sounds or dig deeper and program your own controls.  The steps to this are to choose what a "controller" does... then choose whether the controller should be active per zone or not.  

To choose what "controllers" do:  Press edit>stage setting>common edit>slider edit>target edit>choose control type (target). Each controller can do 2 things at once (2 targets).

To switch the controllers on/off per zone: Edit>stage setting>zone edit>controller enable>on/off

Again...all of this is covered in videos on PX-5s.com.   I highly recommend taking time to watch the videos.  All of this covered in detail there.  

got it--however, when i want to get sliders to work for zone 1(which is on) and bank 1(which i changed to rock piano i cant do it because as soon as i hit the edit button bank 1 goes off. i enabled sliders 1-6 for zone 1 but again, it doesn't seem to control the stage settings of the separate banks. i'm not using you as a short cut because i've already watched one video and intend to watch them all....but what am i doing wrong with this application?

So scott--more questions.  I'm using my px for stage playing only--simple application.  I reassigned my "favorites" to bank 0, 0-9--so I now have 10 favorites in Bank 0 to punch up while I'm playing live. I have the 4 knobs set for eq, and I enabled all sliders and have them set for 1=cutoff, 2=resonance, 3=attack, 4=chorus, 5=delay and 6=chorus--so that I can set them live.  But I've run into a glitch--On preset 0-3,0-4 and 0-5 (it says illuminated up top), The sliders move, the values change in the read-out but nothing happens to the sound.....What do i do--all the other presets in bank 0 respond to the sliders.....ugh.  Second, when I program a stage settings with multiple zones, how do I set the volume for each zone so they are where I want them, so I can save them? Thanks again for your help.  Glenn

Brad-- thank you so much-you were right--the sliders were off--I don't know how i missed this.....ok--2 other things--How do I find the gain and distortion settings that I can use for a stage setting on one of my tones--I can't seem to find it.  And, second, could you explain the difference between layers and using several zones for a tone in a stage setting.  ( I watch the videos but I must be technology illiterate.....)   Thanks 

Gain and distortion are adjustable parameters of the distortion DSP effect.  To add those to a slider, you must first add the distortion dsp effect to the zone you wish. Select the proper zone then press the DSP button and scroll to that effect.  Now you can go to the slider edit menu's and find those parameters in the slider's target list. 

Layers are individual elements of a single Hex Layer tone.  There are 6 layers in one hex tone.  The synth editing for those tones are the most powerful on the PX-5s.

Zones are used to combine preset tones and user tones into a performance.  

Hi Brad-- I followed your instructions and was able to put distortion on slider 3 but in doing so, it changed slider 1 (which I had set for cutoff, and no assign) to cutoff and distortion--causing me to lose the cutoff, and the volume associated with it. How do I get slider one back to where it was...i.e cutoff and no assign (I'm assuming this will give me back the volume when the slider is all the way up?!  Thanks

Hi Brad--I went back into slider one and edited it to cutoff--but the secondary setting is still distortion and I cant get it back to no assign, the way it was before (and the way all of the other sliders are set)-How do I edit the secondary slider setting to return slider one to the way it was?  and why did this slider change when my target was slider 3? Thanks as usual....Glenn

Hi Brad--Ok--I went back to my privia--When I hit the DSP button it just says distortion (no zone listed)....Then I go to my tone (60's piano)-- it is enabled in zone 1--slider 1 has cutoff as the first reading and underneath it says distortion--not no assign like all the other stage settings have) I don't now how to change the second reading (distortion) for slider 1, to get this slider to be like all the other ones i programmed---My other question concerning this is why would slider one's readings be changed if I programmed slider 3 with the dsp distortion effect? Please help me to change slider one back to the original setting---As always, i appreciate your help---actually, I'd be lost without you....  Glenn

Press edit>stage setting>common edit>slider 1 edit>target>change to T2 using the zone buttons>Change it to "no assign". 

Glenn, I won't be online for a week after this post. I suggest going to http://sc3900.wix.com/px-5s.  Several hours of tutorial videos are there for you.  All the PX-5s resources are there in links.  Once you go through everything, you'll be a master of the PX-5s.

Brad--You did it again!  I don/t think there are any other applications I need to know.  I watched several of the videos but they deal with things (at least at this point) that I don't need to use.  Thanks soooo much for all of your help. I think I understand the machine pretty well at this point thanks to you. Much appreciated.  Til next time-- be well!!   Glenn

• Like 1