Video Files on Forum ×

Px-5S shuts down on startup!

Hi all, I wonder if anyone has experienced the issue I'm having. I tried to search for it but nothing came up (which worries me)... basically, whenever I power up the PX-5S, it shuts down immediately after it's finished booting up. I get the "piano", "elec piano," "organ" lights turning on in sequence, and the screen says "Please Wait", and then as soon as it's done, everything goes black. Usually rebooting a few times seems to help, but today I have tried doing that about 20 times and it won't stay on. What can I do?

Joe brings up a very good point.  You may want to try running on batteries first to see if that stops the unexpected shutdowns.  If it does, that means you probably have a bad power supply or cable or a bad power supply connector on the keyboard.  The main thing to keep in mind is that an unexpected power down that interrupts a firmware upgrade may require the unit to be shipped to a Service Center to have the firmware reloaded.  Quite often, it is not possible to recover from a failed firmware upgrade locally.

Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back with some updates:

1. The keyboard is up-to-date with the latest firmware version (1.13).
  2. The power supply is not the issue, because I get the same problem with batteries installed and the power supply unplugged.
  3. The problem can be fixed (temporarily?) by unplugging either the USB cable, the sustain pedal, or both from the back of the unit before powering it on. I did this yesterday, and now the unit seems to power on properly, even with the pedal and USB plugged back in. However...
  4. Now the sustain pedal input does not work. I checked in my DAW, and input #2 (half-pedaling/damper) still sends MIDI messages, but input #1 (conventional sustain) does not. This means it's not the pedal, but the jack or some internal connection.

I sent a description of my problem to the people I bought it from at Sweetwater and they said they'd take a look at it if I sent it in. I will probably ship it to them over the weekend or next week, just to see if I can get any input here first. My current hypothesis is that there may be internal damage to the back of the unit, which would explain why there seems to be some relation between the power problems and the pedal problems.

Okay, I'm back with some updates:

I checked in my DAW, and input #2 (half-pedaling/damper) still sends MIDI messages, but input #1 (conventional sustain) does not. 

Not sure if this is in reference to the PX-5s, but the pedal 2 input on it is not a continuous controller input.  It is a standard on/off switching type pedal input.   

• 2 years later...

Can you tell me how you did solve the problem with the PX?

At the moment i have the same problem; sometimes it boots up and when it is finished it stops working, sometimes i can play it for a while and than it stops working.

When i start it again i have to do this a couple times before it start up again.

What was your solution?

Nope, it still gives problems.

Nobody here with te same problem and maybe an answer how to fix it ?

I like the Casio so much that i realy want to have it fixed, in fact i was playing for almost 30 years Roland and had never thought i would ever buy a Casio , but now i don't want without .

17 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

I think the original poster exchanged the faulty unit for another with the seller.

Unfortunately neither the schematic diagram nor the PCB layout is available for the px-5s. 

I suppose that because other connectors were acting erraticalyy there was a simple problem of a dry solder joint or the like. But it's a wild guess.

• 2 years later...

Is your unit in warranty?  If you tried the items suggested in this thread and they don't help, I would contact Casio.

In addition to the items suggested here, you could try a plug in another part of the house.  If you have access to a multimeter, you could measure the output voltage of the plug/power supply unit.  It sounds like something has failed and unless you have decent electronics experience, you may need support from a technician.

Do you have a voltmeter (a multimeter with capacitance measurements would be better)?

If you have basic troubleshooting skills and equipment.  You might be able to trace it down.  If you don't, don't even think about it.  If you followed all the steps outlined above and it still isn't working for you.  You need to check the output voltage of the DC in.  Doubt it matters since people tried with batteries only.  

Again, without knowing your electronics skill level, I can't advise you to do anything more than what I have said. Get it repaired or replaced.  There is little else you can do without knowing what you are doing.