More than 16 steps possible

Michael Anders

It is possible to record notes in more than 16 Steps in realtime.

But only when i switch patterns and record notes at the same time.

Therefor i need 3 hands or a friend who helps me.

My solution is:

Autoswitching with midi.

I made a midi file in my favourite DAW Reaper (this will work with every Midi DAW).

The midi file has 4 bars (or 2-8 bars) and no notes in it.

It sends just Midi CC:

On 1.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 000

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

On 2.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 001

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

On 3.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 002

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

On 4.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 003

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

Now i can connect my Casio with my PC and let my DAW switch the pattern.

But better is:

I export the midi file and import it in my favourite Ipad DAW Genome Midi.

Now my Ipad switches the pattern for me.

Casio Synthesizer should work in midi clock master and the DAW in slave mode.

So everytime i hit the play Button on my synthesizer, it will loop pattern 1-2-3-4.

I would prefer to do this without external DAW.

I wish Casio would give me a firmware update with auto switch pattern, so that I could record notes in more than 16 steps without external DAW.

I think that this could be not too complicated.

You find 2 example midi files attached.

Casio4bars.MID

Casio8bars.MID

• Like 1

No one but the engineers know how "easy" it is (or isn't) to implement a new feature.  Quite often messing with code in one area will affect other areas of the OS and can cause serious issues. At any rate,  I always advise people who are buying a synth to accept what it does at the time of purchase, and not what it *may* be able to do with a *possible* firmware update.   :)

• Like 1

I'm with Bradmz on this one. If you prefer automating the process with CC, everyone has their own workflow and if it works for you go for it. Growing up on "linear" sequencers recording in real time, the XW sequencer has been a bit of an adjustment in terms of piecing together longer compositions that are not completely made of loops 16 beats long but with the chain function I've found it very workable. Requires a different way of thinking IMO but many of the sequencing boxes take the same approach-my RM1X allows for chaining short sequences or recording through with a linear sequencer as with many keyboard workstations. Guess both approaches have merit-and that this stuff even exists in my lifetime is the most amazing thing. Try working with an old monophonic synth with patch cables to create a full multi-track arrangement recorded to an old 4-track tape machine. and that was in my lifetime.

One question Michael as I'm still trying to learn to code with CC and sysex-how did you figure out which commands to use to get this to work? Are these CC messgaes all the XW midi implementation chart? I'm not too handy about writing sysex and CC strings so.....have an old UC-33 programmable control interface but CC messages i find tough to wrap my head around even when I have a complete CC chart in front of me. Guess I'm too old school. And i use Reaper-works with my VS-840 Roland recorder and a plugin which reads my Roland native mulit-track recording and translates it into multi-track .wav files, very nice. Reaper, ummm good!

• Like 1

I guess my question is if you are recording MIDI in real time, why not just use the DAW and record the MIDI there? IDK - Maybe I am missing something?

Jokey: I hear you on the 4-track cassette multitracking. That was my life for many years trough various Tascams. Now I have a 32 track digital (still Tascam) with a CD burner and MIDI sync + digital effects.. cost me about the same as one of those 4 tracks. Great time to be making music!  :)

• Like 1

I often find myself  dubious because the XW force me into doing stuff one way or another and while it also happens I'm going into the right way, 

There always another. Like for instance combining , editing , programming , switching arp , phrase or sequence in a live performance.

Could do it this way or another way round and round and round it go's

I'm saying how often in combining stuff I'll get that it sounds sloppy. if it works the way figured out go with it because the XW doesn't give you one

option any time soon there is always another. Last week I've learned how to make things more clean and crisp, How to combine and match PCM,

to create fatter sounds and how to loose muddiness in performance plus sequences which was my biggest concern but i'm derailing of topic now :).  

BTW. maybe we need a separate thread to midi , cc and sysex stuff it beats repetition searching.

I am an absolute beginner with Midi CC. I looked into the midi implementation and found "7.39.5 Step Sequencer Pattern Number Select. This was very confusing for me and seems incomplete. So i downloaded the free App Midi Wrench for Ipad. The app shows me the Midi CCs when i press a button on my Synth. :-)

I do Midi Recording with my DAW on my PC. But I want to record Midi without the PC or Ipad, too. So when i am practising with my synth and i have a spontaneous idea, i want to record it immediately without booting my PC. :-)

By the way. I have a tascam 4 Track, too. Its a Tascam 424. I used it in the mid 90s for recording a complete Band: 2 Guitars, 1 Bass Guitar and Drums on 2 Tracks, on the other 2 Tracks Vocals. That was very hard to mix. I am glad that i dont need it anymore, now its in the basement. :-)

Hi Michael Anders,

I will try later but you can try recording on an empty sequence a NRPN/pattern change on the end of the pattern 1 that points to a pattern 2 change. I don't know if it is possible since the Control Part of the sequencer can record only midi CC data and not NRPN.

I mean doing this on the G1 sequencer and not using external gear.

Update:

Maybe it is possible to assign on knob4 a NRPN midi and then write on the Control Part a change for the knob4. Will definitely try it.

Update2:

Did anyone try the midi file?I have enabled the NRPN on midi settings, I see on midiox the messages when switching patterns but the midi file do not change the pattern. Did I miss something?

Ok,

On Performance Mode assign a Knob (eg Knob4) to the following

NRPN

MSB 37

LSB 01

LSB

Now use a Control Part of the Sequencer and link whatever part of the pattern you want by choosing the K4 knob. When the part ends ,it will change to the part you assigned (0-7 corresponds to part 1-8).

Not recommended since the G1 spits tones of NPRN on external gear and may cause timing issues if you sync.

Also if you linked eg Part1 and Part 2 for 32step sequence you have to use your ninja skills to change manually to other pattern (on the exact moment the previous pattern ends.)

But ,

Happy part chaining... :)

PS. Thanks Michael !

PS2. Maybe it opens doors to sequence tones , phrases ,arps etc... :P

• Like 1

Thank you very much Korakios.

Your solution works for me. :-)

Glad I helped but

Not sure I understand why you are "recording" in real time, more than 16 steps.   I would record, in sections, multiple patterns... then use the chain sequencer to connect them together for playback.  

As BradMZ, said you could use the chain sequencer. I hadn't tried it before and though it's used to chain patterns only, but it seems you can chain also the parts of the patterns.

BUT , you have to save the sequence every time you make changes ,BEFORE playing the chain. It sucks a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to record notes in more than 16 Steps in realtime.

But only when i switch patterns and record notes at the same time.

Therefor i need 3 hands or a friend who helps me.

My solution is:

Autoswitching with midi.

I made a midi file in my favourite DAW Reaper (this will work with every Midi DAW).

The midi file has 4 bars (or 2-8 bars) and no notes in it.

It sends just Midi CC:

On 1.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 000

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

On 2.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 001

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

On 3.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 002

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

On 4.1.00:

CC100 = 127

CC101 = 127

CC038 = 003

CC006 = 000

CC098 = 001

CC099 = 037

Now i can connect my Casio with my PC and let my DAW switch the pattern.

But better is:

I export the midi file and import it in my favourite Ipad DAW Genome Midi.

Now my Ipad switches the pattern for me.

Casio Synthesizer should work in midi clock master and the DAW in slave mode.

So everytime i hit the play Button on my synthesizer, it will loop pattern 1-2-3-4.

I would prefer to do this without external DAW.

I wish Casio would give me a firmware update with auto switch pattern, so that I could record notes in more than 16 steps without external DAW.

I think that this could be not too complicated.

You find 2 example midi files attached.

If they/casio could make this work without a PC, it would change things majorly. Even just a two bar (32 Step) groove. It would open out the possibilities to create music with soul on the fly. 

Congrats on your solution, though!

Peace!

• Like 1