vocal scat midi files

PAULD

Please, someone, tell me that Roland does not have an exclusive on midi vocal scat sounds. I've searched,  and followed links to no avail. I want to use as a backing track, as well as accompaniment. Where might I find these midi files? Thank you...

Please, someone, tell me that Roland does not have an exclusive on midi vocal scat sounds. I've searched,  and followed links to no avail. I want to use as a backing track, as well as accompaniment. Where might I find these midi files? Thank you...

Well first let's clear up a couple things. The vocal sounds are not MIDI files, they are samples (digital recordings of actual sounds). A MIDI file is just data that tells the keyboard what sound to use, what notes to play and the duration, along with a bunch of other stuff -- but we will keep it simple and leave it there.  The last thing is realize the organ in the demo is a $5,500 instrument with a lot more memory for sounds and samples than most keyboards.

Now down to business: Casio has a tone called "Voice Doo" which is basically a vocalized "dooo" type of sound. That is probably going to be the closest you are going to get. You can usually find it after the syn strings with the other vocal sounds. If you want more variety, you can use the XW-G1 and load in some samples.

The other part of your question about the MIDI file for "When the Saints...". If you watch close, that talented women on the organ is playing most of it live. She is even kicking bass with her feet- so she is probably just using drums as a backing track.  But, the Internet is full of free MIDI files -- seek and you shall find. Just make sure you audition them. Some are great, some not so much... I have heard some that are so good they sound great on a $100 keyboard and some so bad that even a $3500 workstation can't help them.  :)

Hope this helps! 

• Like 3

Actually here's a very good page from someone who's in the process of sampling Scat Voices for a PSR950 and planning to release them under a creative commons (FREE as in Beer!) license.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/sampling-scat/

Pauld never mentioned exactly which Casio he planned on using these with.  If he has an XW-G1 there's a good chance they will be convertible to a compatible format.

If he owns a non sampling synth then his only hope is to hook up to a Scat Voice VSTi or SF2 Soundfont instead.

Gary ;)

In that case what you CAN do is lay your hands on an SF2 soundfont file or VSTi plugin file with Scat sampled voices and play them using your computer as a sound module and your CTK-7200 as a USB MIDI Controller.

A perfectly acceptable solution but it will take some googling and work to understand and implement what I am saying.

Gary ;)

• 8 years later...
20 hours ago, FlashyEagle8 said:

For the "voice" sampling imp/exp is related to the CT-K, but can it be done on a CT-X series, as well ?

CT-K stands for starters series, not necessarily mean it supports sampling, the XW-G1 supported sampling 

as well as most of the LK series. CT-X is described as compact with a powerful sound source. 

Although I'm surprised there is such a range of sound set , I got the CTK 900 it has 3 scat voices and another few

sweet voices not in the PX - XW or the new CT-X , Which kind of baffled me. It also has some data access which I 

don't know what its for. 

Edited by XW-Addict

22 minutes ago, XW-Addict said:

CT-K stands for starters series, not necessarily mean it supports sampling, the XW-G1 supported sampling 

as well as most of the LK series. CT-X is described as compact with a powerful sound source. 

Although I'm surprised there is such a range of sound set , I got the CTK 900 it has 3 scat voices and another few

sweet voices not in the PX - XW or the new CT-X , Which kind of baffled me. It also has some data access which I 

don't know what its for. 

Ho no ! I missinterpreted my question here.

The discussion was leading to "Sampling with the CT-K series", but wanted to know if it can work on the CT-X series.

Nevermind

As i double-checked and read it, i found my own answer. 

actually, as i realised it was related with the USB MIDI cable, i then knew that it doesnt matter which Casio models it is,  because u simply use that cable to do that.

However, for your frustration in lacking of voice scat while i expected to have few more than u do, but in fact we share that same boat ! Ah ha