Video Files on Forum ×

The NAMM Show 2013

@ Mike.

OK, now you got me slobbering.

P1 has orange graphics

G1 has red graphics

?1 has blue (!) graphics...

First glass fragment has some sliders (at least 5 of them) and a rotary controller above it.

Third glass almost like the matrix style section of current XW with the top LED strip lit up

I doubt you guys would change colors schemes on current XW products, so the blue one could be a new sibling to P1 and G1 then?

Sampler?

Arranger?

Bare bones synth?

SonnyDaye,

Curious why a 76 key, could you elaborate? Our 88 key Privia models are already the smallest and lightest in their class. Is it a matter of fitting in a car or something else?

Thanks for your concern Mike!

Yup, fitting in the car - but ALSO fitting everywhere else (on the stand, in the house, in gig bags etc., etc.) as well as carrying it.

I've always bought 76 key keyboards except for a couple of the earliest Privias. The 76 keys gives me plenty of room to play bass lines etc. and there is more than enough room on the upper end. The 61 key keyboards don't suffice for me and, to me, the 88's are "oversized". I'd gladly give up the extra notes to have a more compact and LIGHTER keyboard! Yes, 24 pounds is great, but 20 pounds would be even GREATER! Especially as I'm getting older! And maybe a slightly lighter hammer action would knock a couple of pounds off too? I think you'd sell "millions"! I'd buy half a "million" myself! (-:

OK, I just had a closer look at the poster Mike put up above and enhanced it in Photoshop.

3rd glass shatter:

• graphics ar blue (duh!)
  • the very bottom of the picture has a portion of keybed - two black keys with white in the middle, with blue felt dust cover going across
  • the panel above it (silver with blue graphics) has matrix style controls (three of them as XW series machines do) with the top blue LED lit up
  • and then.....nothing else!!!! ...that means a very shallow depth design
  • My guess is a MIDI controller

1st glass shatter under a magnifying glass

• slider with blue graphics, so the machine will likely be the one and the same as the one in the 3rd glass
  • there is a rotary knob right above the slider and nothing seems to be above it
  • my guess is that this is one of those K1 ...K4 knobs

That would mean that:

• this could be a board with much shallower profile than current XW series (10" deep at most)
  • something like sliders and 4 knobs on right side?
  • something like matrix style controls on the left side?
  • that would leave the middle for the display perhaps?

We could be looking at a new MIDI controller.

If this is not in its own brand new category, then it might be a new XW-M1 or XW-C1? :-)

Thanks for your concern Mike!

Yup, fitting in the car - but ALSO fitting everywhere else (on the stand, in the house, in gig bags etc., etc.) as well as carrying it.

I've always bought 76 key keyboards except for a couple of the earliest Privias. The 76 keys gives me plenty of room to play bass lines etc. and there is more than enough room on the upper end. The 61 key keyboards don't suffice for me and, to me, the 88's are "oversized". I'd gladly give up the extra notes to have a more compact and LIGHTER keyboard! Yes, 24 pounds is great, but 20 pounds would be even GREATER! Especially as I'm getting older! And maybe a slightly lighter hammer action would knock a couple of pounds off too? I think you'd sell "millions"! I'd buy half a "million" myself! (-:

As long as I'm creating the perfect 76 key gigging keyboard.........

Add: Sliders (or knobs - but preferably sliders) to control:

- Volume of Rhythm Patterns

- Volume of Accompaniment

-and maybe (hopefully) a slider to control the TEMPO of Rhythm Patterns (instead of having to push a button multiple times).

Preselecting volumes of Rhythm and Accompaniment and saving them in Registrations doesn't work for me since the Acoustics of rooms constantly changes as does the background noise of the crowd. One minute, or in one song, the mix is perfect and then the next i can't hear the drums or they are too loud. Same goes for the volume of the accompaniment. Am I the ONLY one who finds this as a problem?

As long as I'm creating the perfect 76 key gigging keyboard.........

Add: Sliders (or knobs - but preferably sliders) to control:

- Volume of Rhythm Patterns

- Volume of Accompaniment

-and maybe (hopefully) a slider to control the TEMPO of Rhythm Patterns (instead of having to push a button multiple times).

Preselecting volumes of Rhythm and Accompaniment and saving them in Registrations doesn't work for me since the Acoustics of rooms constantly changes as does the background noise of the crowd. One minute, or in one song, the mix is perfect and then the next i can't hear the drums or they are too loud. Same goes for the volume of the accompaniment. Am I the ONLY one who finds this as a problem?

Forgot to sign in.

The above post was mine.

Sorry!

I wish for some kind of an "expansion" thingy for the XWs, carefully designed to perfectly fit on the rubber pads.

Or an 88 key MIDI keyboard to expand my P1's possibilities (WITH A REASONABLE PRICE). That would be just perfect.

How about things you DON'T want to see at NAMM 2013? ;)

I DON'T want to see Casio cheap out on the drawbars or REAL MIDI ports on successive models.

I DON'T want to see a non class compliant ASIO driver on future models. I record thru my own audio interface just fine thank you.

How about it? What sends chills up your spine when you think of Casio "economizing" on future production models?

Gary

Hello forum! About the time, that I found this forum! Nice to see so many fellow Casio men and women that its enough for getting a forum running!

My expectations:

Privia with XW-P1 inside of it. Perhaps even with Air engine(and please god make it have a 1/4" output)!!!

It would be very exciting already, but what I want(in long run, might be too much to ask for this Namm):

-The VA polyphony, I would nearly die in happiness, if we got just 4 voices!

-The ability to play different engines simultaneously. This might be even in limits of possibility with current instruments(?) and it could almost replace the VA polyphony!!! Even HEX and VA at the same time would make it so much more powerful synth.

-Sample memory for extensibility, and helping to turn rompler side of things more interesting and less obsolete(in many peoples minds).

-Vastly enhanced rompler engine for doing bad things to your samples, starting from MZ-2000 standards and going even beyond it

-Download service for downloading patches, samples and sequences(in the WK-series vein).

Even longer run desires, downright fantasies:

-PD synthesis's come back! And with 8 osc / voice too.

-Controller for synth engine in Roland Programmer style. The XW-P1 has place for it.

...perhaps it could even include DSP chip to increase VA polyphony!!!

-Perhaps included analog components to make another Casio Hybrid synth. All this, a huge Flagship with digital and analog components, step sequencer, PD AND VA synthesis mixed nicely(perhaps with some reasonable cost cutting maneuvers, like selling the controllers separately, and not showing off with vain polyphony numbers but with quality instead), would make such massively ominous waves, that it might even wash the "Casio stigmata" away! Just one or two analog oscillators and one filter, as well as 4 voice poly(...or even just mono synth...) for analog signal path. Yeah, stupid dream, but you know, its a beautiful dream.

Here is a clue for one of the products we'll be showing.

namm-ad_final.jpg

Humm, from the looks of this it looks like you may be going up against the Nord Electro and other such "stage pianos" by fusing 88 keys and Privia action with the drawbars of the XW series. I love it! Maybe the sequencing will be included and you may have other tricks up your sleeve as well. But even if you don't and you are simply fusing the privia line with the XW line this will make a hell of a keyboard. A XW-P1 with 88 keys, better piano sounds, and piano action. Killer! It makes sense as the next logical step to "update" the PX-3 which seems like it was actually Casio's first 'under the radar' re-entry into the "pro" market before taking the plunge a year later with the XW series. I think this is a great move for Casio to make!

If we are making wish lists may I wish for mellotron sounds or a way to easily add them to a casio board? I think this new generation of Casio boards give me everything I need except Mellotron sounds. I just fine them essential, almost like a separate category of sound like: synths; pianos; organs; and mellotrons! lol I know this is a personal thing, but this is MY wish list afterall. I like that the new microkorg XL+ includes a couple of mellotron inspired sounds. The iPad docking is a great idea and a great way to add mellotron, but the current crop of iPad apps for Mellotron seem really dodgy right now. I can't tell if they include MIDI or not or if they are even being kept current. It would be nice if someone would release an app and the entire mellotron library that can be loaded at least three sounds at a time to the ipad. I don't think the entire library would fit at one time.

I love Casio and I hope you are here to stay in the pro market.

I say it's a Privia PX-4. The successor to the PX-3 with some XW enhancements. The thing over the Casio name on the left looks like some sort of hinged lid. Maybe a storage space and support rest for your tablet or accessories?

Looks like it shortchanges us on drawbars and knobs though.

I was hoping for an updated drawbar organ simulator, but the lack of enough sliders isn't encouraging. But, I am hoping that area on the right that has us so intrigued is a place to add on expansion board(s). If you could add in a CZ-1 board that would be great. Plus an FZ-1 board. Maybe Rapman, too.

Also, I hope the synthesis engine is deep, and somehow involves the AiR engine, so you could say, run any sound through the piano resonator, perhaps there could be different types of resonators, something like the old Technics WSA-1.

But I am just dreaming now. It's a nice looking instrument though, I like the white (hopefully...unless it's actually silver) and blue color. Oh, and I hope it has an expression pedal input! :)

Mike - perusing the 'Shattering Expectations' NAMM 2013 graphic for clues:

- Privia brand name logo printed on one of the glass shards at bottom center of graphic...

- AiR Sound Source logo in the lower left corner, just left of Privia brand name logo...

So, I'll take a stab. It's a 76-key weighted/graded Privia. Right?

Just hope it has all the goodies that PX-350 has along for the 76-key ride!

This is exciting news indeed!

Dattaa

Whoops. Posted the above after only reading page 1 of 3 (for this post). Then I read page 2 and 3. Wow! You guys are pretty darn smart, bringing your A game to this thread!

So, yeah, it appears to be the PX-4. A mysterious mashup of XW + AiR + PX = ?

Mike Martin, gotta hand it to you man. You and Casio sure know how to create brilliant pre-NAMM media buzz!

Good on ya! Keep up the great innovation, imagineneering and ultimate 'dream' creation.

Have a great NAMM 2013. I'm sure you'll reap a ton of props and media attention with these new products!

It looks great, and it seems to be just what was hoping for.

I hope for a few things:

-it keeps and improves PX3's ADSR editability

-it has an improved equalizer

-it adds a delay effect

-it has more detailed rhodes samples, especially in the pianissimo range, where

the PX3 is lacking.

-it has an expression pedal input

-usb class compliant

-It would be great to have separate controls for line out volume and headphones

volume

I obviously can't be too specific right now. I'll say this.... In terms of editing sounds and control it is above and beyond anything we've done before. I'll also clarify that it is 88 keys.

Last I wanted to let you know that unlike XW which we launched last year at NAMM, this product has come to us on a different schedule. We won't have a big introduction video that does a tour of the product completed until after the show. We will do our best to get as much video shot during NAMM and then work on other videos after.