The NAMM Show 2013

Guest Charles

From PX-3 to PX-3S to PX-5S...

I wonder what Casio has against even model numbers? :)

There is a long discussion of this on another forum. Speculation is that it's based on a general Asian (and specifically Chinese) aversion to the number "4". So office buildings don't have 4th floors, car license plates with "4" are avoided, and so on.

Since we skipped from PX-130 to PX-150, it makes the same kind of sense to skip from "PX-3" to "PX-5".

I suspect the Big Release is going to be tomorrow (Thursday), at a press conference with Joe Sample. I wait with bated breath . . .

. Charles

Guest lucabbrasi

hi guys I'm an italian (proud) owner of a PX3 and XWP1. I understand the expectations about the Namm but...do you take care about the "old"models owners? not all can afford new gear....I have not seen any XWP1 firmware upgrade or new sound...no news for a PX3....I think it could be a nice idea to try to..."align"the old models to the new ones, with only small enhances. I love my PX3 but....what about an improvement? Not to be equal to the new PX350, but something that can take up the market level of the instrument versus the new ones...I insist, it's good to buy new gear, but think also to the ones that cannot afford such a purchase (considering the "faithfull"to the brand...)

thanks

I realize these days Mike Martin is superbusy, but I have a question when you have time:

is the ADSR still editable on the piano and EPs engine?

IMO most digital pianos have an excessively long release time, making it almost impossible to play staccato.

My reference is the Kawai grand I play daily at home.

This is the reason why I love so much my PX3, and I'm really looking forward to the PX5 with improved samples!

Thank you

I'd have to say the PX-5S is a nice effort from Casio, but the more I look at that list price the less inclined I am to buy one.

For a street price of $1295 you can pick up a Kurzweil SP5-8 which to me offers a better feature set and all metal construction.

For comparison's sake here's Kurzweil's link.

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp5-8/

Take a look at both links and give us an honest opinion. How much would you really be willing to pay for the PX-5S street price?

I'd honestly have to say it would have to sell in the $799 to $899 range of street price to sway me from spending a few hundred more for the Kurzie...

I'd have to say the PX-5S is a nice effort from Casio, but the more I look at that list price the less inclined I am to buy one.

For a street price of $1295 you can pick up a Kurzweil SP5-8 which to me offers a better feature set and all metal construction.

For comparison's sake here's Kurzweil's link.

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp5-8/

Take a look at both links and give us an honest opinion. How much would you really be willing to pay for the PX-5S street price?

I'd honestly have to say it would have to sell in the $799 to $899 range of street price to sway me from spending a few hundred more for the Kurzie...

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison. I looked quickly and can't find any place that even lists the SP5-8 yet. The SP4-8 seems to be $1499 most places, except B&H which has it at $1295. And while the Kurzweil has the KB3 organ and I would guess more and potentially better effects available, it overall has less polyphony, and the SP4-8 doesn't seem to have any sliders or knobs (though the SP5-8 does), and there aren't any arpeggiators or a phrase sequencer as near as I can tell.

Of course, this is just my quick judgement looking at the Kurzweil's specs while not knowing everything about the PX-5S (can't wait to be able to download the manual!) I guess it would depend on what one needs. If you really needed the organ simulator, that's a plus for the Kurzweil. If you need arpeggiators in a stage piano, maybe the Casio is for you. Both seem like nice instruments.

But if Casio wants to cut the price a bit, I won't complain. Or heck, give a coupon to registered XW-P1 owners. ;)

Darnit! I can't find the link again where I saw the SP5-8 for $1295.

Then again here in Canada I can pick up the PC3LE8 for $1799 at an authorized dealer and that's an intermediate between the PC3K8 top of the line Kurzweil flagship and their stage pianos.

http://www.long-mcqu..._seq_64poly.htm

Then again they also sell the SP4-8 for only $1099 CDN as well.

http://www.long-mcqu...Stage_Piano.htm

It might have been a Canadian price I was looking at but then again the US and CDN Dollars have pretty much been at par for the past three years and there really shouldn't be that much of a price discrepancy between US and CDN prices. In fact, here in Canada we usually end up paying between 10% and 50% more for our electronics.

Anyway, going by those two prices, I would guess that the SP5-8 should sell about $1295 or so.

Anyway, the 350 or so user sounds on the PX-5S looks like a big letdown to me at that price point given what some of the competition out there is offering.

I would think Casio has perfected the art of making low priced, low weight, hammer action keybeds and expected this sucker to price in below $999 list.

Then again it's all speculation on what the final street prices will be.

The main reason the XW line made such a splash last year was because Casio priced it in line with stuff like the Microkorg XL and Novation Mininova while blowing them away with features and voices and more bang for the buck.

The PX-5S looks like a logical, if conservative development of the PX-3 line, but the improved specs don't justify a $400 increase in list price.

Then again like I said a lot of this is just speculation, but for me the PX-5S just doesn't have the same "wow" factor I got when I first saw the XW-P1.

Gary

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/casio-unveils-professional-stage-piano-at-winter-namm-2013-188221431.html

The PX-5S can be purchased for an MSRP of $1,299 at select music dealers nationwide. For additional information regarding Casio's Privia line of digital pianos, please visit www.CasioMusicGear.com

It's the beginning of a nice demo, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around that $1299 MSRP.

Any chance that's a typo or a misprint Mike?

PX-3 is on sale now up here in Canada for $499 marked down from a regular price of $699

http://www.fleetsoun...ano-p-8112.html

I've already linked where I can buy an SP4-8 for $1099 CDN but here it is again:

http://www.long-mcqu...Stage_Piano.htm

So again, I'm having a VERY HARD TIME wrapping my head around a $1299 MSRP for the Privia Pro PX-5S

Usually we end up paying more for musical keyboards in Canada but somebody's getting ripped off these days and I'm surprised it's not us :D :D :D

PS. The difference between $999 and $1299 is $300 not $200 ;)

And compared to what Kraftmusic is charging for the SP5-8 I can buy the PC3LE8 for the same price in Canada which is actually a full blown workstation with arpeggiators and sequencers and the whole ball of wax.

The pianos, e. pianos, clavs & synths sound awesome. The battery powered option and weight are great features. The dealmaker for me has yet to be addressed..... how about the organs (B3, Vox & Farfisa)?? If they are better than what I now have on my PX-3, I'm prepared to order one of those Privia pro PX-5S's!

(I'm hoping that Mike includes a demo session showing off the instrument's organs & effects as some point)

I think it's a bit over-priced. I'm still hoping for a 76 key version - maybe that will put it in the right price range.

Quick question: The PX-350 has Rhythm Patterns. The PX-5S doesn't seem to have Rhythm Patterns listed in any of the published specs I have seen. Is it possible that they left that out of this supposedly "all-purpose" performance keyboard?? Hard to believe!

Yup...a bit over-priced.

Also, has anyone divulged what that mystery black section behind the upper register is for? There was a lot of speculation about it, but I haven't seen the final answer yet.

Thanks!