The NAMM Show 2013

Dear Santa,

I want an XW-P1 with:

• aftertouch
  • 73-key weighted and 88-key weighted version
  • larger ROM sample memory for better quality tones (leave the junk filler tones for your elves and give non-looped piano and strings)
  • 128 note polyphony
  • Sound editor for iPad
  • PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE - do the mono synth controls the same way as you did on G1 model for better real time controls
    • P1 has 3 sections for control by the sliders - solo synth, hex and organ
    • solo synth should have 3 sections just for itself exactly as on G1+ plust the hex and organ = 5 sections for the sliders
      If you run out of space, you can always move the 4 knobs right above the power button (unused area)
    • How about making the mono a poly synth for making our own pads? 8 note would suffice

If you got confused, I can do a mock up for ya in Photoshop, Santa! :-)

If you do, I swear I'll leave the best cookie and glass of milk by the fireplace for you next year...

I think you are on to something here, Mike.

This forum lacks a blue sky section for brainstorming and dreaming up new machines.

Though, I'm sure since you guys are back with the vengeance, you'll have some nice surprises up your sleeves this year.

Can't wait.

So what are you guys expecting? What would you like to see from Casio?

Kidding aside, I'd like to see a really good MIDI controller with at least 61 keys that is in the $500 price range. I haven't found anything that I'm really happy with. It would have veloc/aftertouch, plenty of assignable knobs, a 5"x3" screen, weighted keys option, drawbars, and a simple slider mixer for mixing the levels on the synths being controlled. The controller should be able to assign specific zones to other synths and have basic transport controls for a DAW. Softsynths would also be controlled.

In addition, there is a serious lack of programming/librarian software. Sure, there's stuff like Soundiver that's out of date, but the only "modern" software seems to be Midi Quest which is expensive and poorly reviewed. A package with a controller like the BCR2000 and a keyboard option (see above) and the software to allow for building instrument profiles and loading them into the controller while also storing programs would be fantastic. The controller and keyboard should be able to store multiple profiles for the various synths/VSTs being used and have the ability to switch quickly between profiles. I'd be happy to pay $700-$800 (or more!) or so for a package that included a quality MIDI keyboard controller, and the software. It would be worth $400-$500 for a "knobby" controller with the software.

To illustrate the workflow, the user would use a learn function to assign controls to various synths or load a pre-made profile generated by Casio or another user. Arrow buttons would allow the user to flip through the profiles and change parameters on the synths in real time as well as controlling their preset sounds. A 6-8 fader mixer would allow each synth to be mapped to a fader for level control. Drawbars to control organ programs like the ones I have in my JV-1080 and NI Vintage Organs would allow for adjustments on the fly.

A keyboardist's rig might consist of 4 rack synths and a laptop with softsynths. The controller and software would allow for any combination of 6-8 (arbitrary number) of hardware and software to be used in the rig.

It appears that Casio has the elements and know how to create a 76 note, weighted action workstation - an XW / WK-7500 hybrid with a bigger and more informative display. I'd like to see this workstation as a composition tool mostly with great sounds, a robust sequencer and easy mix down capabilities. This workstation should have an XW sound engine with lots of editing capability. It should also have the XW rubber patch for IPADs, etc. No speakers in the panel. I like having a music stand on a keyboard. At a $899 or $999 list price, this workstation could be the next logical step up from the WK-7500.

Casio should narrow its target audience focus - this workstation won't be all things to all people. Perhaps target the home studio and semi-pro players. I am a home hobbyist and I know of many musicians my age (59) who didn't know about Casio's recent synth/workstation developments. So Casio must continue to aggressively create awareness through a variety of channels to reach more potential buyers. Like me, the musicians who hadn't heard about the "new Casio" want to have fun and they don't want to spend a fortune doing it.

From a brand perspective, Casio has laid the groundwork to heighten its image among the competition. I'd say the market is ripe for an affordable and powerful workstation.

Mike, a thought.... when you make the announcements for Casio, could they be posted here in a thread first, or a different version of the events? That way, we can re-post this at gearslutz, etc. and draw some traffic to this site.

Steve, that is a great idea for a workstation. I know that avatar from another forum.

It's great that Casio are getting back into the synth game again! I've played both the XW-P1 and XW-G1 and was impressed by the sound.

These were only 2 things that stopped me buying one:

1. It shares the same plastic chassis as the CTK 7000 (not the most attractive or sturdy design)

2. I couldn't stand the key action

I did a few very quick Blender renders of how I think the synths should look:

8372125970_c950729f92_b.jpg

8372125948_a2b9b620b3_b.jpg

8371055017_889b9f0d99_b.jpg

And finally one with white end panels!

8372125988_c4e1ecacf3_b.jpg

Feel free to laugh at my horrible modelling and texturing skills!