Video Files on Forum ×

Pitch shifting the Drums (with Pitch Wheel)

Korakios

Hi,

I went a bit crazy and tried to pitch shift the drums on a sequence.But didn't work so went on mixer and gave full 24steps ,jamm a little and when I returned to the performance or sequencer mode no more pitch shift.

Went back to the mixer page again and verified that all drum parts had full pitch bend range. Then something weird happens.

Pitchbend works only when I move from part to part using the part +/- buttons. It's like re-assigning the pitchbend range.(although I clearly see the range is already set to max)

Is it possible to make the drum parts listen to the pitchwheel permanently on a performance?

The range of the pitch bend wheel can be saved for a particular channel/zone 1-4 in a user Performance via Performance->Zone Param->BendRngDwn and BendRngUp. You can set them from 0 to 24 semitones, default 2. Any drum tone in zones 1-4 will be affected by the pitch bend wheel.

For channel/parts 8 to 16, you can save the Mixer->BendRange parameter in a user Step Sequence. When in the Mixer, the pitch bend wheel will bend that channel, when not in the Mixer the pitch bend wheel reverts to the live keyboard, channel/zones 1-4, and does not affect channels 8-16. You can only bend the single channel that is currently active in the Mixer this way however.

It sounds like you might be trying to bend some of the Step Sequencer channels (8-16) while not being in the Mixer. This would be more tricky because I don't think there are any CC messages that send pitch bend data, so you couldn't just assign the pitch bend to one of the knobs. You could try assigning the drum tone that you want to bend to zone 1, then assigning channel 14 of the Step Sequencer to zone 1. This is done via Performance->Sequencers->Solo1 Ch.

Also, the Multifunction Keyboard of the G1 can send pitch bends to ALL 16 channels, so you could set up a bunch of multifunction keys with various bend values, or even key on velocity, to any or all of the Step Sequencer channels for some interesting pitch bend effects across several drum kits. 

• Like 2

Million thanks Brett M. I was afraid my XW was malfunctioning.

Multifunction keys may work. Thanks for the tip!

I'll try with the control part also but I don't think I can record pitch on the fly

To be honest I don't like how the mixer works. Hope next generation XW series have better workflow .

Just to add as additional information if there is a specific bend wanted in Step sequence using Ctrl 1-4 steps can be programmed using bend  assigning them to which part of the sequence is also a trick plus any CC can be applied through them. Some of the dance / house like step sequence have them implemented which can be used as templates.

• Like 1