Hi newbee with a G1 Step Sequencer Problem

mf_blues

Hi Everyone

Recently picked up a G1 with Headphones and Case for just £150.00 which is great and I'm well happy with it.

However, I do have a slight issue with the step sequencer.

I noticed when adding a bass line using the D A C D keys it records and plays back fine, the problem occurs when I select the key-shift button, the whole bass line as dropped an whole pitch compared to the rest of the keyboard. The D is now on the lowest C key so when I select the low D the bass is out of tune with the rest of the keyboard, I have found I can note shift the bass part down 2 half steps which corrects the issue but surely this shouldn't be happening in the first place.

I have initialised the keyboard so it should be as per factory settings I would have thought.

Has anyone had this issue or is there a fix for it cus it doesn't seem right to me.

Cheers

Martin :)

Yup like Korakios said  depending if shift-key button is on while recording a sequence be sure to have it in the right key like C or any key its suppose to be.

Most of my sequence I'll center on C while the shift-key is on that way I'm sure not to mess a whole hour work up.

Yeh guys I think you're right, it looks like I need to record everything in C, if you play any other key it drops back to C when key shifted and sends it out of tune with the rest of the keyboard.

Seems a little stupid really but if that's how it works so be it, it does seem like a bug to me though, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't do this, no other keyboard I've ever used worked like this, I'll just have to work around it, other than that I'm well happy with the G1.

Thanks Guys

Cheers

Martin

It doesn't seem to matter what key is pressed in key-shift mode, the note jumps back to C regardless, it doesn't seem like it has until you use the key shift again after recording, the only reliable method is to record everything in C in the first place, that way you're guaranteed to get the right result by the look of it.

It's not a problem though, it's easy enough to record everything in C anyway so it doesn't really matter now I know this is what I need to do.

Cheers Guys

Martin

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to matter what key is pressed in key-shift mode, the note jumps back to C regardless, it doesn't seem like it has until you use the key shift again after recording, the only reliable method is to record everything in C in the first place, that way you're guaranteed to get the right result by the look of it.

It's not a problem though, it's easy enough to record everything in C anyway so it doesn't really matter now I know this is what I need to do.

Cheers Guys

Martin

One good practice is to discover to do what it is needed from this keyboard you've practically mastered a

mayor step diving into step sequencing and the use of sliders and the select button its a matter of time to 

wrap around using the functions in needed synthesis or performance.

It took me quiet a while learning nifty tricks from a synthesizer ( :) I love that word). I still am learning stuff

Using the keyshift and Step sequencing into a well structured performance playing in one key scale would

be kinda boring. Say if you've discovered something I'm all ears. 

Cheers Guys

Martin

Hmmm, I don't understand . In my G1 I just recorded a bass phrase ( only the key shift was on C) on E and plays back normally on E as it was recorded.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

No matter what I do the pitch shifts out of tune unless I record the bass line in C, at least it works like this so isn't a problem but does seem strange how you can record it normally. Saying that I have tyros 4 and when creating styles you're supposed to record all frases etc in the key of C so that it tansposes correctly later while playing cords, so the idea's not new to me.

Cheers

Martin

This is the way the XW-P1 works too. I think it happens like this because like keyboards or modules that create auto-accompaniments as mf says need a key of C baseline in order to be able to shift key later through the full range of an octave so all your sequencer patterns will shift key together. The whole purpose of the key shift button with the XW series is that it will allow instant transposition of your sequence once recorded completely (except the drums/percussion of course which are designed not to do that in real time once recorded to a sequence) through an entire octave. Sort of like how an auto-accompaniment board shifts your accompaniment but the XW only does this with one key, not chords. But remember that the XWs always revert back to using the keyboard as the master real-time keyboard-meaning that it will not transpose itself whether playing a sequence or not-only the tracks you already recorded will shift key. I think somewhere in Happyrat's faqs re the XW there is some description of how some of us had to figure all this out. Like alot of the functions on this pretty deep keyboard, it makes no sense until you figure out how all these different functions are designed to interact, and there are many functions! Hope this helps. If not look through the faqs posted by Happyrat. It's in there somewhere.