Corrupted piano sound on 2 notes

Is there any way to reload the waveform memory? On the 2 grand piano sounds (concert and modern) 2 adjacent notes E and Eb an octave above middle C have developed a loud buzzing sound after holding the key down for about a half second. All other notes and voices work. I have tried the factory reset.

What kind of information could the key sensor send to make it sound like that? The key sensor should only be sending note on/off and velocity. All other voices - other pianos, strings, organs etc. sound OK. It is only on the grand piano sounds.

It is too much work to send in for repair. I was hoping there was some way of rewriting the waveform memory through the USB port. If there isn't, I will just use the other piano sounds. The grand piano sounds were the best I have heard on any electronic piano or soft synth.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

I have the same issue. It is a very similar sound but different pitch, and a bit more... uh... farty on holding down any one of 3 keys. It is only present on those 3 keys when holding the key in. It comes through on headphones as well, and it is not present in modes other than the Grand Piano ones. My piano is a Celviano AP 450, which is apparently very similar to or the same as the PX 850. It does not have a way to do a factory reset, but the Backup feature is disabled which is supposed to load the default settings on each startup (function button + second keyboard key from the right). I've discovered many posts like this about these pianos over the internet. Never with a solution. Many say it's because of corrupt waveform data. Some say it's as expensive to fix as buying a new piano. No one ever posts whether they got the problem fixed which is frustrating.

Edited by Kobus
discovered that the sound does exist once logged in

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same problem with my Casio Privia Px-a800. 

Casio support is not very helpful here. I'm sure it is a waveform related problem. Even if I play the audio demos the buzz tone is played. 

It's 2023 now.. And still no solution. Please help us. I am not the only one. And where is Casios offiicial statement about this? It's so upsetting. 

Contacted the nearby Casio Dealer and they said a technician from Casio costs 200 € just for him to come over. Really? That's how you keep me away from buying Casio Products. 

Edited by Sensorico79

On 1/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, Sensorico79 said:

Same problem with my Casio Privia Px-a800

Sorry to hear this happened.  It's a terrible feeling when something goes out after years of enjoyment.  Something similar recently happened with a TV I have enjoyed for about 10 years.  It's gonna cost some to repair and bring it back to life.  The manufacturer won't cover it since it's been out of warranty for so long, which is understandable.  

When did you purchase this instrument?  Are you still under warranty?  Was it new when you purchased it, or used?  They will cover repairs on anything still in warranty.  From what I'm seeing, PX-A800 was released 10 years ago.  If I recall correctly, it was a limited edition anniversary model.  

Judging from what I've seen on the forums, the solution to the sound glitch has been replacement of the main board, a significant part of the instrument, and the cost seems to reflect that significance.  I would guess new replacement parts for these are also probably hard to find by now.  They usually make a limited run of service parts.  If that's the case, you may be able to find replacement parts used, or maybe another piano used.  I wish I had better news.  

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Sorry to hear this happened.  It's a terrible feeling when something goes out after years of enjoyment.  This recently happened to me with a 50 inch TV I enjoyed for about 10 years.  It's gonna cost me some repair money to bring it back to service.  Unfortunately it's a rather common problem with those TVs after so many years.  The manufacturer won't cover it since it's been out of warranty for so long, which is understandable.  

When did you purchase this instrument?  Are you still under warranty?  Was it new when you purchased it, or used?  They will cover repairs on anything still in warranty.  From what I'm seeing, PX-A800 was released 10 years ago.  If I recall correctly, it was a limited edition anniversary model.  

Judging from what I've seen on the forums, the solution to the sound glitch has been replacement of the main board, a significant part of the instrument, the heart of it so to speak, and the cost seems to reflect how significant the part is.  I would guess new replacement parts for these are also probably hard to find by now.  They usually make a limited run of service parts.  If that's the case, you may be able to find replacement parts used, or maybe another piano used.  I wish I had better news.  😥

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it. I purchased it from a private seller. I didn't noticed the corrupt keys when I played it before the purchase. Maybe it wasn't even corrupt and it happened during transportation who knows. My local Casio Dealer offered to bring it to them and they will take a look at their  workshop for 79€ - without Royal Casio Technician 🤴. It's my last hope. 😕

• 2 weeks later...

The Casio Technician looked at the electric piano. It's the mainboard (as expected). And it would cost 250€. I think it's very poor from casio. Even after a couple of years this should not happen. I am really disappointed. Goodbye Casio. In the future I will at most buy your calculators. 😉 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...