recently got the (awesome) Casio XW-P1, and then downloaded the Data Editor,

which doesn't seem to work.

I have an old MacBook running OSX 10.5.8

with a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor

and 2Gb RAM.

When I try running the Data Editor, I get this message:

"You can't open the application "CASIO DataEditorP1.app" because it

is not supported on this architecture."

And yet Casio says it should work with my configuration.

Any suggestions? (or must I install a new OS?)

Thanks,

James

(already tried calling 2 support #s at Casio and emailed with the support desk)

Mike,

I have the very same problem. Couple months back, I e-mailed Casio via the official website support page and never heard back.

The Hardware requirements for the editor listed on Casio's website clearly state that you need an Intel processor, but that's just about it.

I too have Core Duo Macbook, not Core2Duo. Install runs fine, but OS X won't fire up the application as it is not supported, exactly as James posted above.

I'll look into it but I've never seen this before. Let me see what I can find out.

Ted,

you wouldn't be able to install the ZIP file because it has an EXE file inside and OS X (being a UNIX based system) doesn't know how to run EXE files.

But you have a point there: I (as well) thought that the installer got corrupted during download or something and re-downloaded and re-installed it. No avail.

The thing installs just fine, w/o a hiccup. It just won't run.

It could be any of these:

• The installer is corrupted - but then every one would be complaining about it (I haven't found anyone besides us two)
  • Installer has higher hardware requirements than CoreDuo, but Casio did not mention it in their support materials
  • Third option could be any variation of Murphy's law...

I haven't yet attempted to install it on my Mac mini with C2D CPU to see if it works at all.

James

Are you sure you downloaded the one for the MAC OS and not the one for Windows ?

You should have a file named "DataEditorP1.dmg".

If you have a file named "DataEditorP1.zip", then that is the one for Windows.

@ James

With your CoreDuo 2.0 GHz, the best you can do is to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 which is the highest OS X supported on this processor.

But it won't be of any help. I have the same MacBook as you do, run on 10.6.8 and get the same error as you do.

If the software was built for Core2Duo or iX processors, then the only solution would be for you to get a new Mac.

Let's see what Mike is able to fish out from Casio's software team...

hi -

Any suggestions? (or must I install a new OS?)

Thanks,

James

(already tried calling 2 support #s at Casio and emailed with the support desk)

JK

The Windows version of the Editor does not do an actual "install". You just unzip the download file to get at the .exe file, but when you click on that, it just does a run-time install and runs. When you close the program, it goes away completely and you won't find it in the Control Panel's list of installed programs. The Data Manager 6 program for Windows for the new CTK/WK arrangers works the same way. I assumed if it worked the same for MAC OS, it would be possible to try to "run" it and you would just get the error message you are getting.

At any rate, I hope you guys can get this worked out without having to invest in new hardware. I would find what you have now very disappointing.

Good luck !

Thanks, Ted!

Macs are different than Windows, they do allow runtime applications without any install, but it all depends on how the app was built.

I have a newer Mac and just tested it. It works, so I'm afraid my theory about minimum CPU requirement of C2D or higher was correct.

I won't hold my breath for getting a new laptop just because of this.

I hope Casio sees the light and goes straight to a tablet app, same as Korg and Moog have done. That is the future in this post-PC era

That rubberized pad on the right side is just made for iPad, so having an XW editor for iOS within your fingers' reach is a no brainer in my opinion.

I could potentially buy some junk no name laptop for few hundred with crappy W8, but I've left the Windows world and ran for the Mac hills almost 12 years ago and never looked back.

My apologies once again. Usually if our customer support has an issue they can't solve they come to me....and if I can't solve it I get in touch with Japan. I'll get to the bottom of this but honestly it may be a little while. I'm hoping someone over there has the same Core 2 Duo.