Video Files on Forum ×

HOW TO SET UP PX5S FOR USE AS A DAW CONTROLLER AND TO PLAY VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS

Skyscrapersax

The topic title is pretty much all that's needed, but to repeat,

What I want to do is:

(1) use the PX5S with one of my DAWS (Pro Tools, Cubase; also Sibelius if possible); and

(2) play virtual instruments

This will require, well, what?  Obviously, I need the PX5S to not make any sound itself, but as far as a "template" or whatever... what do I do?

My Axiom Pro 49 key controller has a template.  Thus, all the controls (knobs, sliders, etc.) on the Axiom Pro function and work as if they were in the DAW.  This is also true for Sibelius (both are owned by the same parent company, Avid).

Is there a template for the PX5S?

How do I turn off all sound and get the PX5S to hear the virtual instruments?  

I know how to manipulate the VI's and how to make them recognize the PX5S.  All I need to know is what manipulations to do on the PX5S.

Thanks!

OK - You need to make stage settings where all the knobs and sliders send  CC messages. Most of the presets have the sliders doing this but not the knobs - once you have that set-up, save that Stage Setting for whatever instrument you want it to control. Then open the VSTI in your DAW and use MIDI learn to map the knobs and sliders to whatever parameters you want to control. Save that set-up in your DAW. Done.

As far as your sound question. Well all you need to do is monitor from your computer/sound card or turn LOCAL CONTROL OFF on the PX-5S. Done and doner.

Hmmm...  "Midiot" here...

1.  How do I make the knobs send CC messages?

2.  If I monitor from the sound card, first, the sound is distorted.  This is especially true if I run the sound card into the input on the PX5S.  BTW, is there a volume control for the line in?  Should I use the 1/8" audio in instead?  Is there a volume control for that?

3.  How do I turn LOCAL CONTROL OFF?  I don't see anything called that.

Again, sorry to be a Midiot, but, after all, I AM a saxophone player!

Hmmm...  "Midiot" here...

1.  How do I make the knobs send CC messages?

2.  If I monitor from the sound card, first, the sound is distorted.  This is especially true if I run the sound card into the input on the PX5S.  BTW, is there a volume control for the line in?  Should I use the 1/8" audio in instead?  Is there a volume control for that?

3.  How do I turn LOCAL CONTROL OFF?  I don't see anything called that.

Again, sorry to be a Midiot, but, after all, I AM a saxophone player!

1. It's the common edit screen for stage settings.

This video covers it starting at about 22:00min

I recommend you watch all the PX-5S How To videos linked up at http://PX-5S.com/howto  -- They are about an hour long each -- watch one a day and in a week you will know how to do just about everything on the PX-5S. Investing a little time now will save many more hours of wondering down the line.  

2. There is something wrong with your soundcard or settings in your DAW or VST - without knowing more I can't make any suggestions.

3. SYSTEM SETTINGS --->> MIDI ---> LOCAL CONTROL ---> OFF/ON

Again, watch all the videos listed at http://PX-5S.com/howto --> It is well worth the time. Watch with your PX-5S turned on and in front of you so you can follow along. 7 hours of one-on-one lessons from Mike is priceless -- use the tutorials! 

I've watched some of the videos.  There is a ton of information in there.  A chart covering the topics, arranged by time that they start, would be great.

I have a better Presonus that I just got out of storage.  I'll try that one and see if the problem persists.

Is there a volume control for either of the line in or audio in inputs?

Thanks!

OK...

Where do I find EXTERNAL AUDIO?

I hate to be a "TechnoDonkey," but I think the problem that I'm having is that everything is under multiple pages and layers.  Is there a flow chart of all of these buried functions somewhere?  I am not good at file system management on my computer, so this is going to be a challenge for me.

If there is no chart, what's the best way to QUICKLY find out where all the functions are?  The manual does not address these issues.

The videos are cool and informative - is there a handout that lists what Mike Martin goes over?  If not, I'm simply going to have to watch them with a notebook in hand and make one.

Thanks for your help.  Technical difficulties aside, I'm enjoying playing the board.

OK...

Where do I find EXTERNAL AUDIO?

I hate to be a "TechnoDonkey," but I think the problem that I'm having is that everything is under multiple pages and layers.  Is there a flow chart of all of these buried functions somewhere?  I am not good at file system management on my computer, so this is going to be a challenge for me.

If there is no chart, what's the best way to QUICKLY find out where all the functions are?  The manual does not address these issues.

The videos are cool and informative - is there a handout that lists what Mike Martin goes over?  If not, I'm simply going to have to watch them with a notebook in hand and make one.

Thanks for your help.  Technical difficulties aside, I'm enjoying playing the board.

SYS SETTINGS ---> SOUND GEN ---> EXT AUDIO

To answer your other questions: One or two of the videos have content charts, but you really should watch them all in their entirety with your PX-5S turned on and in front of you so you can follow along. There is also the PX-5S FAQ at http://PX-5S.com/faq

Other than that you just need to keep plugging away until you learn all the menus and sub-menus. The data editor will also help you learn the parameter list.

This is a very deep and powerful board so dedicate an hour each day to the videos and FAQ -- you will be up to speed in a week and have a much better handle on the PX-5S.. Then you can get down to the business of making music! :)  

Skyscrapersax,

I don't remember saying anything about page E-8. 

The manual on the link I attached is the Tutorial manual.  Starting on page E-36 lists the System settings menus.  If you continue to read on to page 37 at the top, it tells you the External volume is under sound generator menu item.  You indicated you wanted a list or chart of menu items, there it is specifically for the system settings.

• 2 weeks later...

To change volute of external devices:

SYS Setting button

-/no or +/yes buttons to actually lower or raise volume

This type of command sequence would be helpful in chart form; i.e., list what the desired function is, then the buttons to press as set forth above.

My problem is that I'm a "Random Abstract," like Branford.  This board uses menues and submenues, like Wynton:  "Consequential Sequential."  That's what Ellis called 'em. 

Perhaps a page could be made so that everybody could contribute?