Video Files on Forum ×

Quantizing issues with xw-p1

muzzar27

Hi! I have 2 issues with quantizing with my new XW-P1 synthesizer keyboard. 

The first: Once i apply quantize in Pro Tools 10, yes i have the volume turned down for using PT instruments, the note just turns into a bad fragmented portion of the note destroying the midi note. Thats why i have to do everything manually which is a pain. Is this a keyboard or PT issue?

The other question: How do I quantize my compositions I play into Pro tools with the XW-P1 inbuilt instrument tones? I have it rigged up so the mono audio waveform comes up in PT and I have the MIDI cables going from the keyboard into the interface too and whilst the MIDI info comes up in PT, once I edit it the waveform stays the same, so its pointless. I want to quantise my notes.

Plz help!!!

A few things need clarification.

1) There are 2 types of data Protools can edit, record and playback. One type is audio, recorded directly from an audio source such as the audio outputs of the XW-P1. The other is MIDI data, which is just that. No sound is produced by MIDI data. So when you refer to editing the waveform, you are editing audio data, not MIDI data correct? Only MIDI data passes through MIDI cables, not audio. Just clarifying to be sure you know the difference.

2) When defining quantize functions, only MIDI data can be quantized. audio data cannot be. it can be edited and I think Protools has some functions to edit your audio as it exists in Protools once you have recorded that, but you can only quantize MIDI data.

3) Whether you are quantizing what you are playing in Protools, or what you have recorded into it with the XW-P1 (if you are recording MIDI data, not audio), you must have the MIDI data recorded into Protools first, then quantize that data in Protools. now whether you play it with the Protools virtual instruments or through the XW-P1 using its internal sounds or tones, the data will play back a quantized data either way.

One final fact. Depending upon how accurate or inaccurate your original performance was in relation to a strict beat-remember we are talking about MIDI data and not audio-quantize may or may not do what you want it to. It will only move beats to the next closest precise beat depending upon how finely you want to quantize. In other words, you can select whether you want to quantize to quarter notes, eighths, sixteenths whatever options Protools offers. So if you have played a string of rapid 16th notes but you have quantize set to 8th note quantization, it will merge or eliminate any beats that do not fall on regular 8th note beats-it wll eliminate all your 16th note beats and you will be left with only 8th note beats, not what you may have wanted!

The opposite effect for example... you play a strict 8th note beat for drums, bass, chords or melody and set quantize to 16th notes....if you did not play exactly in time with an 8th note beat -quantize may shift some of those notes to a different 8th note beat since its looking for the possibility you may have wanted the 8th note to be a 16th note somewhere other than where it is supposed to- again throwing off completely what you had intended!

The 16-step sequencer in the XW in a sense is automatically "quantizing" whatever you record using only the XW sequencer functions. it is dividing up your steps into 16 precise beats whenever you push one of the sequencer buttons. Watch Mike Martin's tutorial videos for clarification on that.

Mike is the Casio manufacturer/tech rep and an outstanding, very helpful one at that who checks in here whenever he has some 'spare time"! There is also a Facebook group for the XWs and Wordpress here:

https://xwsynth.wordpress.com/tag/xw-p1/ 

https://www.facebook.com/Casio.XW.P1.Synthesizer   

Both have additional excellent info about XWs in case you haven't come across these, and Mike Martin's video tutorials.

I hope this helps your understanding-i've posted alot of info, hopefully what you needed to understand, maybe I misinterpreted or said too much, please post back if you need more info-many really fine musicians here with alot of knowledge and experience with the XWs, computers, performance skills and many other Casios. Remember we all started as "newbies" somewhere. And the XW-P1 is one of the more fascinating synths/performance keyboards I've ever played, and I am pretty "old school!"

• Like 1

Thx mate for the very in-depth explanation.

I understand what your saying and I will watch the video.

However I have the midi and audio cables plugged into my interface to play the XW-P1 so both audio and midi always come up in Pro Tools but my problem is when I edit that midi information the audio waveforms (for the midi notes I play on the XW) stay the same and don't change with the altered midi notes.

Any further help/clarification much appreciated. And thanks for the help!

And I solved the quantize issue with the split notes, it was a double note issue where I go , event-remove duplicate notes.

Can you plz give me the link to Mike Martins tutorial videos on how to auto quantise in the 16 step sequencer on the XW-P1?

And is there is a way of editing the midi info whilst automatically changing the audio waveform inside PT when playing the XW-P1?