Video Files on Forum ×

Where are midi and AC7 files stored?

I give up! I loaded midi files and ac7 files into the ctk7200, and now I can't find the files. I did a batch load of ac7 files, they loaded, but they are not in the user rhythm section.  The midi files loaded, but I don't know where they are either. Please help... Thanks in advance for your time, and consideration. Paul

Paul

If you loaded the AC7 files directly to the CTK-7200's internal memory, then they should be in the User Rhythm slots, but Data Manager sometimes has buffer overflow problems with transfer of large numbers of files, and data just plain gets lost.  Try loading just one at a time to see if that works.  I usually limit my batch transfers to about 15 files at a time to avoid problems.

I am not certain what you mean by "midi" files.  You can load .MID files (Type 0 or Type 1) ONLY to the MUSICDAT folder on the SD Card with the computer's file system manager.  You can not load them directly to the CTK-7200's internal song memory with the Casio Data Manager software program.  The only files that you can load directly to the CTK-7200's internal song memory are Casio proprietary Song Sequencer files in the .CMS format.  MID files in the MUSICDAT folder on the SD Card are played back directly from the Card by the keyboard's MIDI File Player, which is an entirely separate function from the Song Sequencer.  Song Sequencer (.CMS) files loaded directly to the Song Sequencer's internal memory are accessed by pressing the Song Sequencer button and selecting the file you want to play/edit.

When you say you did a "batch" load, if you mean you did a Data Manager "Package Transfer" and now you can not find anything where it should be, then I would say that there is either something wrong with the "Package" you created or something went wrong during the transfer process and nothing really got "loaded" as you thought.  Here again, try loading a few of the same items one at a time to ensure that they will load that way.  If they won't, check the USB communications between your computer and the keyboard.  If they do, then try a smaller transfer than you did originally.  Because of the Data Manager problem I mentioned earlier, I usually avoid the Package Transfer method.  I just use Data Manager to send 10 or 15 rhythms at a time, and then 10 or 15 tones at a time, and so forth, until I have everything loaded the way I want.

Regards,

Ted

Thanks Ted, I now know that I didn't muck things up. I have read, and reread about midi files and function, watched YouTube videos, and I still don't know how these things work, or function. I understand that they only contain data instructions to the midi controller, and the controller (CTK7200) takes it from there, but I still don't get it. I've read that you just download a file and play it, but still stumped! I don't own a pc or ipad, but use a Chromebox, so not Data Manager, is that a bottleneck? Your patience and understanding is appreciated. Paul

Paul

Yes !  You are correct about your bottleneck.  You must use the Casio Data Manager to send files to the keyboard, as it knows where to store data on the keyboard while your Chrome-OS does not.  I am really surprised that your Chrome-OS can even "see" the keyboard without the Data Manager software.  Anyway, you are kind of at a dead end in that respect, but all is not lost.  There is a workaround - IF your Chromebook has an SD Card slot.  IF it does, format an SD Card (up to 32 Gb) in the keyboard.  That will create a MUSICDAT folder on the Card.  Now move the Card to the Chromebook, and copy your AC7 Rhythm and MIDI files into the MUSICDAT folder on the Card with the Chrome-OS.  Move the Card back to the keyboard.  You should now be able to play the MIDI files with the keyboard's MIDI File Player.  You should also be able to copy the AC7 Rhythm files (one at a time) from the Card into the keyboard's internal USER RHYTHM memory with the keyboard's operating system.

Another possibility, if you can find a Chrome-App MIDI file player or sequencer, you could use it to play the MIDI files on the Chromebook and send the data to the keyboard, using it simply as a tone module.  In this case, the file remains on the Chromebook and just sends the song-play data to the keyboard while the song is playing.

Hope this helps.  Hang in there.  This stuff all starts to make sense, after a while.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

Kudo's to you once again. The Chromebox does have a sd card slot. I reformatted the SD card in the 7200, and loaded the midi files in the MUSICDAT folder.

Within a space of 20 min, I was playing along with the midi file to the tune of Patsy Cline's, "I Fall to Pieces". This is the first of what I'm sure will be many, many more. Thank you Ted, I truly appreciate you and the help you provide. Later... Paul