Video Files on Forum ×

PX-780 strange sustain problem

rivorade

Hi,This is my first post so welcome everybody. Recently I've bought PX-780 for my son. Soon I've discovered strange and very annoying issue. For no reason, without pressing pedal or any function keys suddenly the sustain is on. Sometimes it happens after few whiles of playing or just after playing few notes. Sometimes it doesn't happen. And it's really hard to turn off. Obviously it makes playing very unpleasant and hard, it's just not fun it should be. Of course I've made reset view times but it didn't help. When I've asked Casio support they only told me to send instrument to service. I understand that, but it's not a pair of shoes and idea of dismantling it, protecting, packing and sending makes me sick. So if anybody have some ideas i would really appreciate this.  

Couple of questions. Does this happen with sustain pedal connected, disconected or either way? And does it happen with all tones or just the piano tones? You might try powering the 780 on with the pedals connected and then disconnected. Try connecting the pedal after you turn the 780 on. Could be as simple as te 780 not reading the pedal positions properly and needing to recalibrate whether the pedal is don or not.

• Like 1

Thanks for answer and help. It happens with different sounds and with different modes (solo, accomp on). It happenned with sustain pedal connected, cause that's the way how to assemble piano they said in the manual. Now I've done as you said:  disconnected pedal, turned the instrument on and then connected pedal. I've played couple of minutes and it seems like the problem disappeared! If it's so simple how come the Casio support couldn't give me your advise? Should I do it every time I turn the instrument on, though it would be strange? Thank you very much for your help!

Should I do it every time I turn the instrument on, though it would be strange? Thank you very much for your help!

I would see how it goes from now on. If it continues to work, leave it alone. If it acts up again, start investigating more about fixing it long term. I would think having to disconnect the pedal all the time would be annoying.

• Like 1

Shouldn't have to do that every time, check to see if the problem is completely gone.

Could also be due to a possible loose or damaged fitting where the pedal connecting wire goes into the PX780. I own the PX350, not the 780 although I think these are similar construction.

If you have another sustain pedal (even the simple on/off plastic types that come with some keyboards), try that in the sustain pedal jack if there is a separate jack for the sustain pedal. The PX350 has 2 jacks in the back for sustain and damper, plusthe separate Casio-specific connector for the dedicated pedal assembly that is part of the stand. If the PX780 is the same, there will be 2 jacks in the back for other types of sustain/damper pedals that use a standard 1/4" connector. If this different type of pedal works if you have one, and you still have problems with the factory pedals, look to the pedal assembly as having a problem, not the PX780. Hopefully the problem is solved and I have had to do this simple trick with other keyboards and pedals.

Or could be nothing more than a temporary software error. Sometimes these computer-driven instruments have CPUs and operating systems that will not go through all the steps they need to when starting up, or there is a delay or "glitch" in the startup routine-like a desktop or laptop computer. The CPU sends the message, but the software doesn't respond quickly enough and now your pedal is "stuck"!

Why Casio could not figure this out? Who knows, but this forum is pretty amazing. There are people here who know plenty about and have years of experience with computers, keyboards and all kinds of things. I for one have the gift of knowing alot about stuff that most people would rather forget about-including me! :P

• Like 2