Video Files on Forum ×

CHANGE FROM JUST ELECTRIC PIANO TO ELECTRIC PIANO / BASS ON THE FLY

Skyscrapersax

The title really states the question, but to repeat -

I want to change from just electric piano (or just piano) to an electric piano / bass split - on the fly.  So, I would go from comping to walking bass lines, then back to just piano, etc.

I need to do this immediately, not by going through multiple pages/menus.

Is there a one button solution?

Thanks.

This ^^^.  This is what stage settings are made for.  A suggestion....set up the split stage setting first...then save it.  Now go back in that stage setting and edit out the split...then save it again but in the next stage setting slot.  This will ensure the 2 stage settings match in every way...except the split.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For the programmer types out there:

Whatever split point you pick (say C, C#) between bass and piano will work well for some tunes, but not others, depending upon key, etc.

For example, I was trying this with "Cherokee," a really fast Be Bop warhorse.  It's in Bb.  I'd want the split point probably at F/F#.  Currently, I get some bass notes and some piano notes in the walking bass line.

Is there a way to assign the split point to one of the knobs or sliders?

I'm guessing there isn't, since they are independent.

If not, what would be the workaround?  Create a dozen of them and plop them into adjacent stage settings?

Thanks...

I don't know if this question should go here or in the controller section, but is it possible to use a combination of a virtual instrument and the sounds on the PX5S?  As an example, a VST Rhodes and the Casio's bass.

Similarly, how about varying the split point for two virtual instrument, again, say, electric piano and bass, both VSTs.

Thanks...

OK, I've got "local control off" to permit my VST electric piano to play across the entire keyboard. 

I've done that on a global basis, by pressing "sys setting" and then paging through the MIDI choices (transpose, octave shift) to get to "local control."

Now what do I do to assign "local control off" to a specific zone only (rather than the entire keyboard) so as to permit me to use the PX5S bass along with the VST electric piano?

Also, pressing the zone buttons doesn't seem to do anything at this juncture (if I want to use, say, as VST bass).

Tx...

System setting "local off" should remain ON if you need only 1 zone to be local off.  

Local off per zone is Edit>Stage setting>Zone edit>Midi edit>Gen out>OFF

The split point is done here...  Edit>stage setting>zone edit>mixer edit>key range hi and/or low>num key>press key for note.  Use zone buttons for next zone and repeat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, this answered the question I just posted in a new topic, so that can be deleted.

I was confused since I was not using a stage setting (or so I though, since I was not using an internal sound source).

Anyway, I set my PX5S to "tenor saxophone key" (Bb) and that lowest "A0" means that the "B" two notes above is actually the lowest sounding note.

Not to be a total nerd, but how to get those last two notes (Bb, A, which now "sound" as Ab and G)?  How to input the desired lowest note OTHER than using a key to select same?

Thanks...

easiest to setup the stage settings next to each other... i orig filled my stage settings based on groups... X-1 were pianos, X-6 organs, etc.  Then i needed to add some splits to play out, so now my 0-X and 2-X SSs are dedicated to live playing so i can quickly change in the middle of a song.