USB interface not reading my flash drive

Favri
Go to solution Solved by Favri,

Hello to the forum!

I'm new and happy user of this awesome Casio Privia PX-5S digital piano, yet during my analysis of instruction and following its steps on instrument I found a probable malfunction. I hope it's treatable without servicing, that's why I first ask for your help.

What's the problem?

It looks like my USB port (numered in basic instruction as 48, that on the front, not 49 on the back) don't see or recognize any drive I'm plugging in. What I do is entering some usb stick (I tried ADATA S102 32GB USB 3.0 and memory of my MP3 player which I offen use as a pendrive: Creative MuVo TX 512mb ), and waiting for response. 30 seconds are passing, 1 minute is passing and there is none, no "Mounting media" information, no "reading" or something like that. Pressing, or holding longer Audio Recorder button gives me "Error / No Media / Press Exit" response.

As instruction goes, both drivers were formated on my computer to FAT32 system by full, not shortened format function.

What is interesting memory sticks signalize their connection, problem exist by the side of casio.

I don't know how to check version of my instrument's OS, and fear that without USB connection won't be able to update it. If anything, I have that square USB type B cable to input to the back of the casio.

Any ideas?

Sorry, but I get a feeling that you don't fully understand. How to update from USB which is not working? Those are good news that it might just need a newer firmware, but there is an insuperable obstacle not letting me to do this.

Here to show you the idea:

https://youtu.be/itGfy5UDUF0

That's why I'm asking for another possible method of update.

If there's none, then literally speaking, I'm f**ked.

Try a re-initialize (factory restore) without a thumb drive in the PX5s. Check the physical connectors in the PX5s USB port to make sure there is no physical damage in there-usb connectors are very small and sometimes don't mesh correctly although this is pretty rare. Are you running the PX5s with batteries or are using the AC adapter? USB ports draw 5V and at least 500mAh or more (not sure what the PX5s draws) so if using battery power, it might not be enough to boot up the thumb drive if the batteries are not quite new. Have you tried a variety of thumb drives? Not all thumb drives have the same firmware and you may have an incompatible brand. Doesn't happen very often but it is possible. I've used 1, 2 16 and 32GB thumb drives in the PX350 which is basically the same electronic design/procedure for mounting and unmounting a thumb drive. I would also re-format the drive using the PX5s to format it, not Windows. It should work with FAT32 but depending upon your operating system, the PX5s may not be able to read the "FAT" table and may need to create it's own, although I'm not sure about that, but it's worth a try.

I swear I did everything you mentioned but was not successful.

Are you running the PX5s with batteries or are using the AC adapter?

AC adapter.

Have you tried a variety of thumb drives?

Tried 3 devices manufactured by diffrent brands, with various parameters.

I would also re-format the drive using the PX5s to format it, not Windows.

Not working as every other operation on drive from the level of PX-5S.

It's the perfect irony: to have damaged equipment that can be repaired only with function that is damaged. Like you are horribly starving, but to go to shop and heal your body you need to eat something first :D Well, after 2 planned gigs I'll probably give it for maintenance.

Many thanks for advices anyway.

Sorry for your troubles Favri.

I forgive :) Anyways I'm glad that I chose this model, with its functions, portability, sound quality and variety.

DId you download the firmware using a PC, or did you download using a Mac?

PC, Windows 7 32bit.

Good video. Maybe someone else will notice something that I didn't. But try this. Take that USB drive with the firmware update on it and plug it into the PX-5S when it is turned off. Then turn the PX-5S on. Let us know what happens.

Apparently Scott didn't watch the video, as you clearly used a PC.  :rolleyes:

But have you tried my suggestion that I've quoted here and now put in bold?

• Like 1

Apparently Scott didn't watch the video, as you clearly used a PC.  :rolleyes:

Oh my bad! I didn't see he posted a video -- normally a big video shows up on my screen -- all that was there for me was a linky link. When you said "nice video" i thought you were talking about Mike's firmware video. He always makes nice videos. 

• Like 2

But have you tried my suggestion that I've quoted here and now put in bold?

I'm afraid you also misunderstood me. When I said

I swear I did everything you mentioned but was not successful.

I was refering to you too.

Thanks for support again. I'm now on stage of decoding those sound modulation and effect application graphs from tutorial. And tommorow we play shanties with band ;)

• Like 1

I'm afraid you also misunderstood me. When I said

I was refering to you too.

Thanks for support again. I'm now on stage of decoding those sound modulation and effect application graphs from tutorial. And tommorow we play shanties with band ;)

Okay. I wasn't absolutely sure you were, since your post earlier addressed posts that followed mine but not mine.

Good luck with your PX-5S and with your gig. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Solution

It's done. It's cured. It has arrived. My wife is again with me.

It actually returned two weeks ago from servicing.

So, just ending up the case: what was the problem? Their depiction was short and desultory, but sufficient at the same time: some module on motherboard responsible for communication was damaged. As I intended and asked in direct letter to rather repair the malfunction over sending me brand new instrument, they had to replace the whole heart - the motherboard, which had to be imported from Germany while I live in Poland. That highly expanded the repairment time, in addition to this dedicated for searching for the source of defect, which was for sure not quite obvious...

But now it works perfectly as it should :)

• Like 2