Video Files on Forum ×

aCasio in D Minor - a take on "Sunshine" (XW-P1)

I dove back into the XW-P1 big-time over the past month, and this is the first completed result:

I got my XW-P1 in January, the first serious new synth I've bought in years. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was stumped and overwhelmed. But a few weeks ago I dug back in and swore to myself that I would figure it out. The manual made more sense this time, and Mike's great blog and video clinics helped a lot (as did the questions asked and answered here!).

This week I finally made the "breakthrough" and all the things that had confused me before - zones, parts, the sequencer, the sliders, the mixer - finally clicked. I'm not sure why I chose this particular piece, but the build of all the individual parts and the grandness of it all seemed really well-suited to the sounds capabilities of the P1. Above all I wanted to try to do it all on the P1, and I did! It took a lot of days and hours (and mistakes, and lost work!), but I finally feel completely comfortable navigating the whole interface.

I love this synth.  

• Like 2

I'm definitely "sold". I can't recall... do you have both the G1 and the P1? I'm trying to stay laser-focused on saving up for a new synth that costs over $2000, but I'm feeling really drawn to the G1 right now for more hands-on solo synth design. The iPad app goes a long way, but I keep picturing how nice it would be to have both the P1 and the G1 on a single stand in front of me. I just can't decide if the overlap is too much, and the workarounds on the P1 are enough to keep me happy.