setup for external speakers on DP

Koen

Hi experts -

posted this in the "general" section but it pertains to my PX-350.  I'm in the process of procuring a set of external speakers (Presonus Eris 4.5).  I want to be able to play through them via 3 potential options:

1. straight from my PX-350 (internal sound) --> i have line out's on the PX

2. straight from my Mac when using VST's --> i guess i need a DAC of some sorts

3. straight from my iPad when using VST's --> i guess i need some sort of conversion from 1/8' iPad out

Now - what setup would I need to enable me to fairly simply "choose" which output I send to the speakers without too much re-plugging of cables?  What kind of "device" would allow me to switch between these inputs.  Playing from the PX straight away or from the iPad implies I would not have my laptop available (thus any DAW or audiobox - unless there is a non-USB powered option that serves as a mixer as well somehow?)

Thanks for all your thoughts!

• 4 weeks later...

This is why God gave us the Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer!

Any small mixer with several stereo "Line In" channels, mixed to stereo outputs (for the powered loudspeakers), will do the job.  You can select which inputs are "live" by turning knobs (or moving sliders), without unplugging any cables.

You don't need a DAC.  What you _need_ is called a "soundcard", and it's built into both the iPad and the Mac.   A DAC might give you higher-quality conversion from digital to analog.  And you might, or might not, be able to hear the difference.

.               Charles