Top Rig Drawbar Control

pindoc

Hi, this is my first post here so I want to say thank you to everyone in this amazing community for sharing your advice and incredible sounds. 

I am playing a Kurz SP-4-7 as the top part of my rig over the 5S and was wondering if anyone knows how I might control the Kurz's drawbars with the 5S while still playing piano parts on the Casio unaffected. Is this possible? This may have already been addressed somewhere else but I'm still wading through information and tutorials.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated, thank you!

Yes...doable.  Go to your favorite piano Stage Setting and then following the procedures to edit the slider & knob assignments.  Get a list of the CC numbers for the Kurz drawbars because that is what you are going to want to change the assignments to (either in your Kurz manual or I found them on line very easily). I'm guessing you want to use the sliders to control the drawbars...limitation is there are nine drawbars but only six sliders on the PX...couple of options.  You can use knobs to control the extra three drawbars or you can double up control of the three extra drawbars with three others as each slider (and knob too) can be assigned to two things...that's my approach.  You will also want to reverse the max and min settings so 127 is the min and 0 the max...this way the sliders increase volume when you pull them down just like typical organ drawbars.  Final thing is...do you plan play the Kurz from the PX or do you want to play the piano on the PX keyboard and the organ on the Kurz?  If the latter, you need to stop MIDI note data going from the PX to the Kurz....I'll let you figure out how to do that...good way to learn the architecture of the PX.  Enjoy!

Pin, just a little more info on this.  Been a while since I set this up for my Nord so I just rechecked.  Since you have six sliders which can control a maximum of two things each, you need to set this up with three sliders controlling one drawer each and three sliders controlling two drawbars each if you choose to use only sliders.  It limits your flexibility but I was and am not a sophisticated enough B3 player that it really bothered me.  If it is a problem, you could use the knobs or set up different stage settings with different combinations of dual drawbar control for different songs.  Also, a further hint on how to prevent the PX keys from triggering notes on the Kurz without blocking the MIDI data from the sliders controlling the drawbars...you need to use two zones.  Let me know if you get stuck and I'll help.  JJ