Questions about changing rhythms

Digital Gee

I come from years of playing Yahamas, so I know there's going to be a learning curve on my new Casio CGP 700. But something's got me completely befuddled, and I've tried to find the answer in the manual and through trial and error but to no avail. 

I'm used to being able to change "styles" (Yahama) on the fly - and when I do, it's one button. Change the style, and the tempo is automatically adjusted to the default for that style. 

But, unless I'm really missing something, when I change a "rhythm" (Casio) on the fly - or even when the instrument is idle - it keeps the current tempo. To set it to the default tempo, I have to push the up and down buttons simultaneously which obviously adds a step to the process, making on the fly changes more challenging. 

I'm also confused with Music Presets. (Maybe that's the equivalent of Yamaha's styles?)  It seems like selecting a Music Preset puts the machine into a mode with some sort of auto chord arrangement, unless one deselects "auto chord" (another step). 

Anyway, making my way around rhythms and music presets is baffling so far. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Surely Casio doesn't add steps to make changes in the sounds, rhythms, and styles, does it? If so, I'm going to be quite disappointed. 

• Like 1

HI DG and welcome to the forums. You may have to be a little patient for help with the CGP-700 as I think you are the first owner here. We do have Casio reps present on the forums so please give it a day or two for an answer. Congrats on your new Casio! It's a really nice piano!

Yeah, I kinda figured I might have to be patient.  :)  Thanks for the welcome and I can't wait to see what happens over the next few months with what I'll learn on the Forum and what I'll learn on the piano! 

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike. When you say "the rhythm or style does switch to a tempo when you select it" do you mean when it's saved as a Registration? Because it doesn't seem to do it when I change it on the fly. Haven't used Registrations yet. Appreciate the tip! 

• 1 month later...

Scott,

I am a Casio dealer in Southern Ca, and I've asked this same question to my rep.  I too like the option of locking the styles tempo or having the ability to just change to a new style while it is still playing and have the style change to the factory preset tempo.  When customers are in the store and just trying out the keyboard they often hate the styles because they are playing them way to fast or way to slow when auditioning all the styles.  Yamaha has a function which you can lock the tempo or it will change to the preset tempo.  Mike, maybe you could do a software revision to add this feature.

Scott, you do have to save registrations to have the styles play with the tempo you would like.  It works but I would rather just being to change rhythms and have the tempo change to the defaults

• 3 weeks later...

Use the registration memories.  I do this all the time.  Frank Sinatra's "LA is My Lady"  starts off in a pop latin style at a tempo of about 120 and then shifts to slow 6/8 swing at the end.  I assign the song to sequential registrations, 7-1 and 7-2.  I have softer EP tones and the latin beat and switch to hard brass sounds and the swing beat for the ending.  Normally, if you sustain the notes (damper pedal)on the first registration, you can switch to the second registration and it will not change over until you release the hold, very neat!

Hope this helps