Video Files on Forum ×

Solo Cello -Viola -Violin Sound

java2go

I have found the cello tone but the default has vibrato that needs to be slowed down to be more realistic.  I am not sure how to edit the parameters of the tone so I can save it as a new stage setting. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to locate the menu to edit effects etc on it as well.  Any suggestions?  Mike contributed some string sounds that are awesome, but I need a really good solo string sound (not an ensemble) where the vibrato could be altered ideally with one of the foot pedals or even one of the sliders.

Any help is really appreciated.

Love this keyboard. :)

Hi and welcome to the Casio forums!

I'm not at my PX-5S now, but  from memory: When you press the "EDIT" button it asks you if you want to edit a Stage Setting or Tone. That is where you want to edit. By the way, "wave" sounds (used in hexlayers) have more editable parameters than tones so you may want to use the cello sound from there and make a hexlayer. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have found the cello tone but the default has vibrato that needs to be slowed down to be more realistic.  I am not sure how to edit the parameters of the tone so I can save it as a new stage setting. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to locate the menu to edit effects etc on it as well.  Any suggestions?  Mike contributed some string sounds that are awesome, but I need a really good solo string sound (not an ensemble) where the vibrato could be altered ideally with one of the foot pedals or even one of the sliders.

Any help is really appreciated.

Love this keyboard. :)

I've spent some time with this recently... I do usually like to use a controller (or aftertouch) on certain keyboards to adjust the vibrato rate in real-time. But the PX only allows the pitch LFO rate to be modifed in real-time - the amp (volume) and filter LFO rates remain fixed. (You can of course adjust rates when editing a tone, you just can't use a slider to change the rates when not editing.)

The best vibrato results are usually achieved by using BOTH pitch AND amp LFOs. When I mocked up a solo/quartet sound with both, but then adjusted only the pitch rate in real-time.... the fact that the amp LFO rate didn't change in along with the pitch one was a deal-breaker.

What I found was that if given the choice, it was more important to have both amp and pitch LFO in sync than to be able to adjust the rate of just pitch. Best results were achived with very modest depth settings and by using the vibrato very sparingly.

I used SW2 pedal for reverse volume swells to help overcome the static nature of the samples.

Hope some of this info proves helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi. Just got a PX-5S. Admittedly I have zero sound design experience.  Two questions about the cello LFO situation discussed above:

1)  Could the arpeggiator be used to output control messages, a la Mike Martin's stereo pan of (Herbie's) e-piano?  (But if arpeggio tempo can't be varied by a slider or knob, maybe this idea doesn't help ; can arpeggio tempo be controlled by a slider or knob?)

2)  With an external computer running custom software (maybe a MainStage MIDI Script), could a continuous series of MIDI pitch bend and expression changes be applied to the cello patch, to simulate simultaneous LFO rate changes for both pitch and amp?  I'm asking about the Casio part of the equation - would such a controller stream swamp the PX, or would the synth happily respond, no sweat?

Thanks to all the contributors here!

There are two dsp effects for either amp lfo or filter lfo (tremolo and lfo wah).  Lfo amp can be substituted with tremolo dsp, the rate of which can be adjusted with a slider in real time.  Setup a slider with two targets, one for dsp lfo rate and one for vib rate.  That gives you rate control of both amp and pitch with one slider and they can stay in sync. Depth can be controlled with another slider.  

Brad,

Thanks for the lightning-fast response on this 2.5 year old topic!  Glad the instrument has a way to do it.  I'll eventually get around to giving it a try.  I've got an old Ensoniq kbd with aftertouch - that might be a good way to "lean into" an extra parameter or two.

Other random thoughts:  has anyone here tried a breath controller for a cello parameter (either the original from DX-7 days or the new USB variety)?  I've also wondered whether a "PC gamer" multi-axis joystick would make a good multi-controller for instruments (like cello) that could be played with one hand.  (And whether it would be easier to just learn cello than learn to "play" a complicated joystick...  :))

Installed the alternate-map ALL file today; totally glitch-free.  The forum and its members are top-notch (except I have had no luck trying the Search box  :))

• Like 1