WK 7500 > Layering > Sustain on Layer ?

Is there a way to HOLD a sound when it's in a layer?

For instance :

I've got a guitar sound, for strumming in one layer, then want to

bring in an accordion behind that ... lower, but holding chords.

How do I get the accodion to just hold the chord I'm strumming

with the guitar sound?

(I'm a little concerned there haven't been any other posts since my last on the 5th of August ... is there anybody there? )

:-)

Showkster

Showskter

You can not do what you want with the sustain pedal, as it affects all active tones at the same time - the Upper-1 layer, the Upper-2 layer, and the lower tones are all sustained at the same time by the sustain pedal.  This is a major limitation with the sustain pedal on the CTK/WK models.   BUT . . . what you describe sounds more like you are looking for a SPLIT function, rather than a LAYER function.  With LAYER, what ever you do with EITHER hand affects BOTH layered tones simultaneously.  You are wanting to do something different with each hand - lead guitar strums with your right hand and sustained accordion accompaniment with your left hand.  This implies a SPLIT function.  Try this  -  if LAYER is active, press the LAYER button momentarily to turn it off.  Next, hold down the SPLIT button as you momentarily hit middle C on the keyboard.  Everything below middle C will now be your left hand keys, and everything from middle C up will be your right hand keys.  This only sets the SPLIT point.  It does not turn SPLIT on.  When SPLIT is not turned on, the top line of the display shows the right hand (UPPER-1) tone.  Set this to your guitar tone.  Now hit the SPLIT button momentarily to turn SPLIT on.  When SPLIT is turned ON, the top line of the display shows the LOWER tone.  Set this to your accordion tone.  Play your guitar strums with your right hand and your accordion accompaniment with your left hand.  As long as you keep your left hand keys pressed down, the accordion tone(s) will be sustained.  If you would want the accordion tones to be sustained for a while after you raise your left hand, you would need to edit the tone to increase its RELEASE time and save it as a User Tone, then select that User Tone as your LOWER tone in the SPLIT.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

• 1 month later...

hmmmmmm . . . that sounds excellent -- I'm going to try that. . . . thanks.

Comment : some of the tones have lingering secondary tones.  How are they done?

For instance, the Piano-Pad, or Piano-strings will play piano staccato as long as you're playing, but with the pedal held down, the sound will play until you let up on the pedal.    So, if I wanted for instance, a piano with soft brass section in the background, would that be created as a user sound as well?   What would be the work flow?  (Bonnie Raitt's "Guilty")

• 8 years later...
On 8/12/2015 at 8:05 PM, - T - said:

Showskter

You can not do what you want with the sustain pedal, as it affects all active tones at the same time - the Upper-1 layer, the Upper-2 layer, and the lower tones are all sustained at the same time by the sustain pedal.  This is a major limitation with the sustain pedal on the CTK/WK models.   BUT . . . what you describe sounds more like you are looking for a SPLIT function, rather than a LAYER function.  With LAYER, what ever you do with EITHER hand affects BOTH layered tones simultaneously.  You are wanting to do something different with each hand - lead guitar strums with your right hand and sustained accordion accompaniment with your left hand.  This implies a SPLIT function.  Try this  -  if LAYER is active, press the LAYER button momentarily to turn it off.  Next, hold down the SPLIT button as you momentarily hit middle C on the keyboard.  Everything below middle C will now be your left hand keys, and everything from middle C up will be your right hand keys.  This only sets the SPLIT point.  It does not turn SPLIT on.  When SPLIT is not turned on, the top line of the display shows the right hand (UPPER-1) tone.  Set this to your guitar tone.  Now hit the SPLIT button momentarily to turn SPLIT on.  When SPLIT is turned ON, the top line of the display shows the LOWER tone.  Set this to your accordion tone.  Play your guitar strums with your right hand and your accordion accompaniment with your left hand.  As long as you keep your left hand keys pressed down, the accordion tone(s) will be sustained.  If you would want the accordion tones to be sustained for a while after you raise your left hand, you would need to edit the tone to increase its RELEASE time and save it as a User Tone, then select that User Tone as your LOWER tone in the SPLIT.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

That sounds very complicated.