New here, need advice!

Hey Everyone, can I first of all say what a great forum this is. My name is Andy and I'm from the UK. Anyways, my question is to any wk 7600/ctk7200 owners here. I'm interested in buying one of the above and am looking to connect my Alesis DM10 kit via the wk7600/ctk7200 instruments in record port for live drum recording. Has anyone recorded any type of instruments vai this connection, and how did you get on!. Thanks in advance

Pe@ce

Andy.

Andy

I have a Zoom MRT-3B drum machine that I originally bought for connecting to my guitar amp for accompaniment, but I now also connect it, from time to time, to the Instrument In jack on my WK-7500 as an expansion to its rhythm patterns.  It sounds great through the WK-7500's audio system and records to the WK-7500's SD Card just fine.  The only drawback is that the MRT-3B outputs either a mono or stereo signal, but the WK-7500's Instrument In jack is mono only, so if you prefer a stereo recording of the DM-10, this could be a show stopper for you.  You can connect a stereo signal to the WK's Audio In jack, and it will play through the keyboards audio system and speakers in stereo, but you can not record anything with the keyboard's Audio Recorder that is connected to the Audio In jack.  That is Casio's way of ensuring that you do not violate copyright law with their  equipment.  When I require stereo recording with the MRT-3B, I just connect the MRT-3B's stereo out to one of the stereo inputs on my mixer and the keyboards stereo out to another stereo input on the mixer and record the mix in stereo with my stand-alone Fostex 8-Tracker.

Obviously, you need to watch the level of whatever you connect to the WK's Instrument In so that you do not overdrive it into distortion.  Any mix level adjustment between the external device (DM-10) and the keyboard has to be made on the external device, as the Instrument In jack does not have a separate level/gain control, but overall volume of the mix is adjusted from the keyboard's Main Volume control on the front panel.

Regards,

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks for you response, the instrument in being 'mono' isnt that big a deal to me. I also have an Akai MPX16 I'll be hooking up to the ctk 7200 for tapping out rhythms and playing loops/samples for recording. From what I've heard the tones on the wk and ctk are fantastic! With plenty of variables. Have you hooked your wk up to a PC to use in any daw programme!.

Cheers

Andy.

• Like 1

Andy

My WK-7500 is set up across the room from me for "serious" playing, but the 61 key version (the CTK-7000) is tipped up at a 45 degree angle on a cart just to the right of my PC here and is permanently connected to Sonar X-1.  I use the CTK and Sonar together as a sort of hybrid workstation, but this is primarily for mastering MIDI  files (my own and those that I have downloaded).  I do not use the CTK (or the WK) as MIDI controllers for PC based VSTi's, as my PC is feeling its age and has problems with latency.  Either the WK or the CTK will do their own audio recording to an SD Card, but if I need some really high quality, large sample sounds, I have an old Roland XP-80 connected to a Roland JV-2080 with four SR-JV80 expansion boards in it.  I output them into a stand alone Fostex 8-track recorder that will record six track-hours onto a 2 Gb compact flash card.  I drive that rig from Sonar X-1 on  a 10 inch Acer laptop.  So I think that is why I never felt like I needed to get into the VSTi scene on the PC.  While I may pack up a board now and then and go entertain family and friends, I no longer do live gigging.  All of my efforts these days go into studio type activites, so that is why stereo capabilities are so important to me.  I even have a couple of guitar effects processors that will turn my mono guitar signal into a stereo image.  Animation in the stereo field to keep a sound interesting is important to me.  Then I also have the iPad and its apps if I need the "latest" sounds.

Good luck mating your DM10 with something that you will find useful and enjoyable.

Regards,

Ted