Transpose

PAULD

Sorry, Paul:

The only thing the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX's can do with MIDI files is play them back "as is".  The Transpose function affects only the keyboard.  See the 'NOTE" about mid-way down the left hand column on Page 142 of the manual.  It explains that when playback of a MIDI file is started, if the Transpose value is set to anything other than "00", it is automatically reset to "00", so no transpose on a MIDI file.  You can do a MIDI file transpose with DAW software.  I think you found a "cloud" based DAW for your Netbook, didn't you ?  You might be able to do it with that.  If you do try it, be sure to do it with a COPY of your original, in case things don't go right.

Ted

Ted: Your response led me to do some experimenting. I found the following to be correct on the CTK-7200. If you transpose the key prior to starting the midi file, the transpose feature switches off when the midi file starts to play. If on the other hand you transpose after the midi file starts, the transpose feature transposes BOTH the midi file, as well as the keyboard.

This finding has finally answered my question as to why I have difficulty in transposing to the proper key to match the midi file. One CANNOT transpose the key to match a midi file key. I will have to transpose the midi file prior to using it with: http://solmire.com/midieditor/

Sincere thanks for pointing me in the right direction. "Great minds think alike" Paul

Paul

I am glad that you are getting this sorted out, but if you got there by anything I said, it certainly has to be by pure accident.  I was totally unaware that you could transpose either the keyboard or a MIDI file after the MIDI file was started playing.  From that note on Page 142 of the manual, I assumed that starting a MIDI file playing zeroed out the transpose setting and LOCKED it there.  I will have to do some experimenting with this when I get a chance.  I understand that, since you are trying to transpose the key of one to match the key of the other, this does you no good, as they both transpose together, so the differential remains constant, but this is good news for anyone wanting to transpose MIDI backing tracks to match a more convenient key on an external instrument - such as another keyboard, but more realistically a guitar or wind instrument.  So, we all owe you some thanks for discovering that.  I certainly can not find it covered in the manual anywhere.

Good luck with transposing your MIDI files with SolMiRe !

Regards,

Ted